View Full Version : decisions

wmartin170
02-20-2003, 06:03 AM
I am getting ready to buy my first PPC. I am leaning between the Toshiba E335 and the View Sonic V35. Price and for one and also I have a gift that I need to return to the store so I don't actually have the complete amount invested. Any comments or comparissons would be greatly appreciated.

nosmohtac
02-20-2003, 07:01 AM
Both may be good buys from what I have seen and read. I have'nt had a chance to play with the viewsonic, but I have played with the e335.
I am assuming that you want to stay with a thin unit because of the two you are trying to choose between. If size is the most important thing to you then I would add the hp1910 to the mix. If size is not that important to you then I would definitely look at the Dell Axim X5 400Mhz model.

I would not buy the e335 for two reasons: 1) The screen is sub par to almost any other pocket pc available today IMO. They are reflective screens, which isn't all bad(I loved my jornada 568), but Toshiba chose to light the screen from the bottom. To me it makes no sense to have your side light going across the shortest side of the screen and having to light across the furthest distance.
2) I have heard and read about a lot of peoples disappointment with Toshiba's support for their products. This means that they don't like to come out with patches or updates for their older models when there is a new OS released.

This may or may not help you decide, because choosing a pocket pc is quite personal. What form factor do you like best (how do you like how it looks?), how does it feel in your hands (too slippery? too bulky? too cheap?) What expansion capabilities do you want/need?

dean_shan
02-20-2003, 07:02 AM
Here are the Cnet reviews. (http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/1,10708,0-1087-423-0,00.html?id=20537616&id=20758312&) I hope this helps you out in your quest. Personaly I'd get the e335 because I like Toshiba and the e335 has more memory then the v35

nosmohtac
02-20-2003, 07:06 AM
[quote="nosmohtac"] To me it makes no sense to have your side light going across the shortest side of the screen and having to light across the furthest distance.

My bad. I guess you can't really call it a side light if it is on the bottom. :oops:

PPCdev
02-20-2003, 09:19 AM
Toshiba units are kinda pleaged with poor batteries.

For the money either of the Dell units will be a winner, hands down.

HTH,
Andrew

mirkazemisaman
02-20-2003, 02:23 PM
Refund the gift and combine it with your money to buy a Dell 8O .

Eciton
02-20-2003, 04:26 PM
I personally disliked the e330. As noted, its screen is poor and its battery isn't the greatest, but its audio quality is also pretty tinny. Surprisingly, although it's very thin it felt quite large in the hand, too.

The 1910, by contrast, is very small indeed and has a great screen. Then again, it has got less memory, as has again been noted already. The V35 by all accounts is pretty comparable to the 1910.

Just thought I'd throw in my two pennies to say 'don't get the Toshiba' :)

vincentsiaw
02-20-2003, 05:02 PM
I suggest you to consider ipaq 1910 option, believe me the screen is awesome, battery life ok, and the size is just nice! even smaller than the palm V!