View Full Version : Screen Cleaning

IronGeek
02-20-2003, 04:58 AM
How do you clean your screens? I was thinking of picking up some CD wipes to do it, any better ideas?

dean_shan
02-20-2003, 05:36 AM
I use an optical cloth and Klear Screen.

mirkazemisaman
02-20-2003, 06:27 AM
Now that you are at it, how should I remove my WriteRight screen protector. I don't wana scratch my screen in the process.

Dave Beauvais
02-20-2003, 06:43 AM
On a "naked" screen -- i.e., one without a screen protector -- I use my breath and an old, worn out, soft cotton t-shirt or lens tissue. I rub as gently as required to remove the smudge and try to just blow off dust instead of rubbing. I know the touchscreens can probably take some gentle rubbing since you poke at them all day with a hard plastic stick, but I'm paranoid.

On a screen with a screen protector, I've been known to wipe off fingerprints with something as coarse as a restroom paper towel or a denim shirt sleeve. If I scuff or scratch the protector to the point that it bugs me, I just remove it an slip another one on.

Very rarely do I ever use anything other than my breath, though. On the occasion that I do use something else, it's usually that aforementioned t-shirt lightly dampened with water.

--Dave

jimski
02-20-2003, 06:51 AM
Now that you are at it, how should I remove my WriteRight screen protector.

Very carefully. Actually, I read somewhere that using a piece of masking tape could be used to lift off the screen protector.

Dave Beauvais
02-20-2003, 07:01 AM
Now that you are at it, how should I remove my WriteRight screen protector. I don't wana scratch my screen in the process.
If you're referring to the adhesive ones, start with a corner and pull very slowly diagonaly up (or down) the screen. I have heard of people actually pulling off the top portion of the touchscreen layer of the screen by ripping the thing off quickly. Just go slow and you'll be just fine. Jimski's suggestion to use tape of some kind to get a corner started is a good one. I seriously doubt that removing a WrightRight could scratch the screen.

--Dave

PetiteFlower
02-20-2003, 07:33 AM
I got one of those $5 Fellowes screen cleaning cloths. Makes me feel a lot better about having a naked screen.

I can imagine that you could only ruin a touchscreen if you got some cheap no-name sticky things with adhesive that was too strong. I am pretty sure that the name brand ones are safe.

PPCdev
02-20-2003, 09:18 AM
You can also use a wooden toothpick to lift the edge. It doesnt take much, and the tip is dull anyway, so you wont have a problem.

Works good for me...

HTH,
Andrew

seanturner
02-20-2003, 09:37 AM
I just use tape to pull dust off the screen. (Works beautifully for me and no damage from doing it)

For fingerprints, I use the lint free cloth that came with my HP printer tonor cartrige.

vincentsiaw
02-20-2003, 05:06 PM
Personaly i clean up my pda with optical cloth, and the result is satisfying!

PapaSmurfDan
02-21-2003, 02:34 AM
I allways clean any screens with an CLEAN optical cloth and a good cleaner that won't strip coatings off (Klear Screen is great). Now on my PPC with a writeshield, I clean about once a week with klear screen and an optical cloth. But if it gets too dirty I will use a shirt sleeve, paper towels, or even my pants.

When my touchscreen was naked, I would never clean it without an optical cloth, then again I didn't drag my stylus around either. Call me paranoid, but I want my Axim to last forever and look new when I pull it out of a box in 20 years :)

-Dan