View Full Version : Dell Axim 400 or Ipaq 3970 - if same price?

KuroNeko
02-19-2003, 11:13 PM
Due to a local special deal, I can get an Ipaq 3970 (same specs as Axim 400Mhz model, added Bluetooth) for approximately the same price.

Which to choose..?

Neko

Kaber
02-19-2003, 11:18 PM
This is a no brainer. iPAQ all the way. The amount of accessories for iPAQs is nearly endless. And if you can get it for the price of a DELL buy two and sell one. :wink:

etalianstallion
02-19-2003, 11:25 PM
Or even better, buy 4 of them and sell 3 of them on ebay, keep one for yourself. The 4th unit that you keep for yourself will almost be free. :D

Seriously though, this really depends on what you want to use it for. The bluetooth is nice on the iPAQ since it is integrated, but if you don't have any other Bluetooth-enabled devices then it does not matter too much anyway.

If you are going to need storage space, the Dell makes more sense since CF memory is cheaper than SD, although prices for both seem to be coming down. The iPAQ will require a sleeve if you want to use CF cards.

I do like the screen on the iPAQ better than the Dell simply because it is a little bit bigger and slightly brighter. You won't be able to differentiate the brightness unless you have both side by side.

If there are many accessories that you are planning to get, then go with the iPAQ since it is a form factor where many accessories are already available.

If battery life is an issue then go with the Dell. The battery on the iPAQ is not removable.

Guess that doesn't do much to help you pick one except to weigh some of the pros and cons. Personally, I'm very pleased with my Axim X5. It's got all the features I was looking for (a very practical PPC), for almost half the price of the iPAQ at the time that I started shopping for my PPC.

Pat Logsdon
02-19-2003, 11:35 PM
I'd go with the Axim, mostly due to its two slots.

Yes, the Ipaq has a lot of expansion capability, but a) they require expansion packs which makes the PDA bigger and heavier, and b) most of what you'll want/need is available in CF format, and will work in the Axim's CF slot.

Also, the battery in the Axim is removable, and even then lasts quite a bit longer than the non-removable Ipaq battery.

Plus, you get a cool cradle with the Axim. C'mon - cool cradle! How can you resist? :wink:

Kaber
02-19-2003, 11:53 PM
Has anyone seen a 3970 in a cf sleeve next to an Axim? Is there a difference in size?

etalianstallion
02-20-2003, 12:20 AM
Straight from the product spec sheets:

Dell Axim X5 dimensions (in inches):
5.04 x 3.21 x 0.71
weight = 6.9 oz.

Compaq iPAQ 3975 dimensions (in inches):
5.3 x 3.3 x 0.6
weight =6.5 oz.

iPAQ is both longer and wider than the Axim, but it is only thinner by 0.11 inch (w/o sleeve).

If you have seen any of the sleeves for the iPAQs, I would say that they are considerably thicker than 0.11 inch. Plus it's another $40 just for the single-slot CF sleeve.

You really have to pick up the Axim in your hand and see that it is definitely not a "brick". The pictures really don't do the device much justice. Same thing with the iPAQ 1910. Once I held that device at the CompUSA store, I was simply blown away at the size. Pictures didn't do that device justice either.

Rirath
02-20-2003, 12:39 AM
Add my vote for Axim. Dual slots, insanely long lasting removable battery, and just a bunch of little things with the Dells. Either way though, should be a good ppc. For that price... you may want to grab an Ipaq while you can.

KuroNeko
02-20-2003, 02:24 AM
My thanks to all of you for your informative replies.

I've been searching the web, in the hopes of finding a site that reviewed both and offerend comparative test results, but no luck.

So a couple of questions are left open:

- I heard the Ipaqs are relatively slow, not as suitable for playing movies for instance. Maybe also less good for games. Is this true, and is the Dell any better?

- my fear with the Dell is mainly the rather poor service here, and the fact that so many have issues with the Dpad. But is the Ipaq's Dpad any better?

- the Ipaq has a fixed battery (my biggest contra argument for the Ipaq; I don't need the CF slot, so that isn't an issue). How is battery life of Ipaq vs Dell?

For reading e-books (major use for PPC for me), the Ipaq seems best due to larger screen, but the battery issue... argh, too difficult a decision at 2:30am :?

Neko

pocketpc67
02-20-2003, 02:47 AM
would you mind telling us where you could get a new IPAQ 3970 for the same price as the Axim? Thanks

KuroNeko
02-20-2003, 02:55 AM
HP Belgium has a special offer, only 24 hrs valid, namely today!

Only via official Belgian HP Partners. See HP.be website.

Price: Euro 480 incl taxes.

The Dell costs Euro 441 here, without Bluetooth card. So I consider them same price

Neko

pez
02-20-2003, 05:56 AM
-Both are good for playing movies, both processors are quite peak for what they do, you shouldnt find any problem in either for that.

-Dells service as always been exquisite for me and you do get that warranty with it. I have heard issues about the d-pad for the dell and the d-pad problem i hear has been fixed though but the ipaq still has a better d-pad i hear.

-Ipaqs battery life I hear averages like 4-5 hrs.. while the dell is like 6-7 hrs.. so its quite a big improvement.

KuroNeko
02-20-2003, 12:46 PM
Thanks!

Seems it's down to either risk the Dell gauntlet (I'm notorious bad-luck guy with these kind of purchases, see my nick given by my colleagues) and have the better & added battery life.

Or play safe and get the better screen.

11 more hours til the Ipaq offer expires. Maybe I should flip a coin :lol:

Seriously, I may go for the Ipaq and wait and see how Dell improves things. The Ipaq shouldn't be a hard sell if I want to switch later...

About the battery use, that's quite a large difference! Is it the BT function that uses up the extra power? Both have 1400mAh batteries and similar build so they should be closer together, shouldn't they?

Where did you hear about the dpad being fixed?

Neko

TopDog
02-20-2003, 01:31 PM
I would buy both and see how you like best, if you don't use bluetooth, you'll probably like the Dell best because of the CF-slot (iPAQ with standard CF-jacket is thicker than the Dell).

Then you'll sell the iPAQ used for more than the Dell cost, and make money :-)

hollis_f
02-20-2003, 02:53 PM
For the same price?! The 3970, no problem.

3970 advantages - much better screen, more stability, built-in BT, smaller.

Axim advantages - CF slot

With SD memory cards catching up with CF cards in capacity and value it's getting so one doesn't need a CF slot for memory.

What you've got to ask yourself - is there any expansion you need that you can get on a CF that you can't get via BT?

For many people they'll never need the CF slot

KuroNeko
02-20-2003, 05:54 PM
Much better screen? I read here the Dell had a superb screen...

There's also the battery issue, a big blunder on Compaq's behalf if you ask me. In the price range of the Ipaq 3900 series, you expect removable batteries.

Neko

ux4484
02-20-2003, 06:29 PM
Seems no one mentioned IR, If you want some IR with teeth go with the ipaq, the dell has a very narrow and anemic IR window of operation compared to the 3970. If you want to use your PPC as a remote or even to IR sync (without measuring the setup distance) to another device, go with the 3970. If you crave great battery life, go with the Dell (and the big backup battery).

Kaber
02-20-2003, 06:44 PM
Speaking of IR, the Nevo Universal Remote software that comes in the 3970 ROM is great! Since it has a huge list of profiles, you can step into just about any bar and start controling their TV!

QYV
02-20-2003, 09:03 PM

Stability? I find it hard to believe the 3900 is more stable than the Axim, having seen no reports either here or at Dell's site about issues that aren't common to all Pocket PCs.

yunez
02-20-2003, 10:49 PM

Stability? I find it hard to believe the 3900 is more stable than the Axim, having seen no reports either here or at Dell's site about issues that aren't common to all Pocket PCs.
yeah, substantiate your claim that the axim is less "stable".

KuroNeko
02-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Thanks all for the excellent advice!

I went for the Ipaq. The local service (HP dealer a block away) did it, I'm at this time simply not too confident with Dell service, replacing DOA's with refurbs and such. It will hopefully serve me well until I get a better grasp of what PPCs can do and what I want to do with it (absolute noob, this is my first PDA/PPC).

A colleague ordered an Axim today, will be very interesting to compare them side by side.

Anyways, I'll be keeping an eye on what Dell does with the Axim, hopefully they'll improve on it.

Interestingly enough, you can now buy an Axim here in Belgium _without_ operating system. I wonder what they're up to...

Neko

PetiteFlower
02-21-2003, 05:20 PM
I had a very happy experience with Dell service. Called to get a replacement because I got a bad d-pad, call was completed on 2/13 and I had the replacement(new, of course!) on 2/19. I would have actually gotten it sooner, probably Monday, except for the 2 feet of snow that shut down EVERYTHING including Fedex.

FYI, they only send refurbished units as replacements if you call after the first 30 days; if you call within 30 days to report the problem you get a brand new one. If it was DOA and you waited more then 30 days to call for your replacement, then you deserve a refurbished one for waiting do long!

I love everything about mine except the size, and honestly I'm quite attracted to the hp 1910, but with the slower speed, less ROM, less expandiblity, crappy battery life, and $100 higher price tag, I'm secure I made the right choice :)

Kaber
02-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Good choice Neko. I hope you end up as happy with your iPAQ as I am with mine. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.