View Full Version : Music CD Settlement

Jason Dunn
02-19-2003, 04:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.musiccdsettlement.com/english/default.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.musiccdsettlement.com/en...ish/default.htm</a><br /><br /></div>"Even I have bought plenty of music CDs between 1995 and 2000, so I'm sure most of you have, too. Few people know about this settlement, including regular Internet surfers and Rolling Stone readers. The deadline to submit your information for the settlement to get your part of the cash (up to $20) is March 3, 2003, and roughly 30,000 people have registered to jump in on the $143 million class-action suit against the top five distributors of CDs. $20 isn't much, but hey, it can buy sodas, fast food meals, and a CD or two. All you have to do is go to the Music CD Settlement Web site, answer three questions, and then fill in your contact information. Took me less than five minutes. The settlement payouts per person can vary from $5 to $20 depending on how many people take part in the settlement. Think about it this way: if you get the minimum of $5 for 5 minutes work, that's a buck per minute. If it's the full $20 - four bucks per minute you take to complete the form. Not bad! Get rockin'!"<br /><br />The above quote is from the Lockergnome daily newsletter. Being in Canada, I can't apply for this, but I wanted to pass it on to all of our readers in the United States. It's not often you get to take a bite out of the price-fixin'-collusion-lovin' CD distributors, so you might as well take advantage of this...if nothing else, donate the money to a local charity.

Bob Anderson
02-19-2003, 04:13 AM
Cool, another great way that PPC Thoughts adds value to your life, besides great news about PPC news, etc.!

Thanks for keeping us up to speed on what is going on in the world Jason! :D

Brad Adrian
02-19-2003, 04:18 AM
There's one important caveat, though. The more people who register, the greater the chances nobody gets anything. Here's how that works:

"If the number of claims filed would result in refunds of less than $5.00 per claimant, there will be no cash distribution to individual consumers. Rather, the cash portion of the Settlement shall be distributed to not-for-profit, charitable, governmental or public entities to be used for music-related purposes or programs for the benefit of consumers who purchased Music Products."

So, please, everybody, refrain from registering so I'll be assured the maximum payout. Okay?

Brad Adrian
02-19-2003, 04:24 AM
Actually, I'm not sure I feel any desire to register (I haven't yet). Until I read the post, I had no idea that the lawsuit existed, that I had been "wronged" and that there was a process for me to file a complaint. I'm sure that during those five years I came across some CDs that I wanted but that I deemed were too expensive. So, I probably didn't buy them.

I'm not saying that price-fixing should ever be tolerated; it shouldn't. However, I have a feeling that my relative sensitivity to prices cost those companies more already than a measely $5 refund.

I'm not going to register for the sole purpose of getting a free $5 I didn't earn.

[Okay, let the flaming begin...]

Roosterman
02-19-2003, 04:28 AM
Brad is right, if too many sign up the money goes to charity (Except for the 30 - 50% sucked off by your friend and theirs, the attornies :evil: ). Not that I think the music industry is a victim, but these class action lawsuits only succeed in making the lawyers rich. They walk off with millions in fees and the supposedly wronged consumers will wind up with squat. I once recieved a settlement for a life threating defect in the vehicle I owned for a grand total of $1.38 USD. With a little of investigation I was able to find out the law firm took in, as I recall, over $35 million USD.

I sure can sleep better at night knowing the little guys are being watched over :confused totally: ?

Brad, I have registered and have encouraged all I know to register. My hope is that the money will go to charities. That way maybe somebody besides the JD's will benefit from this :) .

PetiteFlower
02-19-2003, 04:52 AM
Actually everyone SHOULD register for this. A donation that large to music-related charities will do everyone a lot more good then a measly $5-$20 payout.

Fitch
02-19-2003, 05:30 AM
Awesome! They now have everyone's address and birthdate! They can sell it for MOOOOORE money. :wink:

ricksfiona
02-19-2003, 05:39 AM
Actually everyone SHOULD register for this. A donation that large to music-related charities will do everyone a lot more good then a measly $5-$20 payout.
Agree.

Plus, the record companies are finally getting what they deserve with file-sharing.

Rirath
02-19-2003, 05:40 AM

Well put, yet again. You always seem to strike at the real heart of the matter at hand. Totally agreed.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
02-19-2003, 05:53 AM
I registered, meow. It's a win-win situation! (unless I get spammed. Ugh, I was so careful with my ISP e-mail account until now)

dean_shan
02-19-2003, 06:27 AM
$20 isn't much, but hey, it can buy sodas, fast food meals, and a CD or two.

Naa the 20 bucks will get you just one CD :wink:

Thanks for the link.

Pony99CA
02-19-2003, 07:05 AM

Jason did say "a CD or two". :-)

And you can buy two CDs. Target often sells new acts for less than $10. I even bought System of a Down's Toxicity for under $10 after it got a lot of airplay.

Steve

dean_shan
02-19-2003, 07:09 AM
Sorry no Targets in Alaska.

jeffmd
02-19-2003, 07:27 AM
bah, they WISH not many people still knew about it. its been on fark and slashdot now, no ones every gona see any money from it now.

gliscameria
02-19-2003, 07:39 AM
Anyone want to start a music related charity? :angel:

Kati Compton
02-19-2003, 07:59 AM
Watch - the music-related charity will be one designed to end Napster and stop music piracy....

DrtyBlvd2
02-19-2003, 12:16 PM
Watch - the music-related charity will be one designed to end Napster and stop music piracy....

Ooooo so much cynicism in one so young :lol:

dh
02-19-2003, 01:36 PM

Yes indeed, a very cynical remark.

However, knowing that it refers to a totally scummy industry, it is almost certainly true.

hulksmash
02-19-2003, 04:28 PM
I almost filled it out,... until I got to the part where it asked for the last 4 digits of my social security number. With my email, they already know how to contact me, but by submitting my birthdate AND my social security it leaves too much open for identity theft. Not worth the hassle in my mind. :bad-words:

Jonathan1
02-19-2003, 06:04 PM
I don't really care if the cash goes to me, charity or anyone else...as long as it isn't making it into the already bloated wallets and purse of the RIAA. Anything that hurts the RIAA is a good thing, but then again I'm a vindictive, evil :twisted: little sucker so *shrugs*

Jason Dunn
02-19-2003, 08:58 PM

Jason did say "a CD or two". :-)

And you can buy two CDs. Target often sells new acts for less than $10. I even bought System of a Down's Toxicity for under $10 after it got a lot of airplay.

Steve

The text you're quoting was in quotation marks, and not written by me. :wink:

brntcrsp
02-19-2003, 09:56 PM
This is a very insightful article from the Lawyer of Doom! It was published on a gaming related web-mic that enjoys vularity (relishes it in fact), so you are warned.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/lod4.php3