View Full Version : SD and MMC?

Bloop
02-18-2003, 06:44 PM
whats the difference between a secure digital card and a multi media card? They look like they are the exact same thing.

vincentsiaw
02-18-2003, 06:52 PM
I think the mmc card is thinner than the sd card and the maximum size of MMC card is 128 MB

Buddha
02-20-2003, 09:58 PM
Actually SD has 'copy protection' and 'readonly' (the little switch on the side) while MMC has not. That is the only real difference.

SD card can be sold read only (by software companies with software on it, e.g. dictonaries) and 'copy-protected so they can't be duplicated.

And the size limit is 128MB because MMC is supposed (wanted/forced) to be replaced by SD in the long run so bigger card will probably not come out in MMC anymore.

PPCdev
02-20-2003, 11:30 PM
This thread leads me to ask the question, if a device (Were assuming Pocket PCs) specifies it can use an SD card for memory expansion, does this mean that an MMC card will work as well?

I have always wondered if they would be interchangable in that aspect.

Thanks,
Andrew

Buddha
02-21-2003, 02:50 PM
...if a device (Were assuming Pocket PCs) specifies it can use an SD card for memory expansion, does this mean that an MMC card will work as well?

Yes it should. I have one which I pop in my Ipaq from time to time, works fine.

Kaber
02-21-2003, 06:49 PM
WHOA! Check out my first hit on Google for sd mmc difference (http://www.geocities.com/romidar/mmcvssd.htm)!