View Full Version : dvd to windows media

ppc4life
02-18-2003, 01:20 AM
hopefully this is a quick question, i've managed to rip a movie into windows media format. I encoded everything using windows media encoder 9, and everything runs fine when i play the file on the computer. However when i transfer it to my axim, the video will play without any sound (mp3's work well in windows media player on my axim though).

Furthermore, I also downloaded PocketTv, and I seem to be having the same problem, it plays video, just no sound.

I'm sure its probably just a setting that i need to change although i'm also thinking that there could be a compatibility issue with windows media encoder 9 and the ppc version of windows media

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dean_shan
02-18-2003, 01:22 AM
the PPC version of WMP is 8.5

ppc4life
02-18-2003, 01:32 AM
i realize that the axim's player is version 8.5, but would that account for the problem i'm having?, because when i was encoding, i selected the output to be for a pocket pc, so you would think that it would make any necessary adjustments automatically to make the file compatible........but then again, this is microsoft were talking, any ideas on what i could do here? has anyone out there successfully encoded a video using windows media encoder 9?

seanturner
02-18-2003, 04:35 AM
Hmmmn... Well, I do know that WMP9 has new codecs which are not backwards compatible. Whether when encoding for PPC it will account for that and encode with the old codecs, I'm not sure...

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
02-18-2003, 04:53 AM
Nyan, the .wmv file plays audio if you run it on your desktop, right? :3
The windows media audio professional and lossless don't seem to work on my EUU2 windows media player. Which audio codec are you trying to use? I use 22 khz mono windows media audio 9.

seanturner
02-18-2003, 04:54 AM
The windows media audio professional and lossless don't seem to work on my EUU2 windows media player. Which audio codec are you trying to use? I use 22 khz mono windows media audio 9.

Yeah, the Lossless codec is new to WMP9 and as such is not in the PPC version.

waanz
02-18-2003, 07:20 AM
The Pocket Media Player (even version 8.5 that came with lattest EUU or build in in latest Xscale devices) is not compatible with 9 series codecs from Windows Media.