View Full Version : Dude, my Dell is coming early!!!

Ufdah
02-18-2003, 12:34 AM
:P I can hardly contain myself, I almost want to leave work and drive around till I find the FedEx truck to get my dell NOW! :P
I ordered my Axim Advanced on Feb 10 and the proposed ship date was Feb 24. But I just checked on the Dell website and it left the factory on Feb 14, 10 days early! I looked on FedEx tracking and it's on the truck out for delivery. I know this is silly... but yeehaw, I'm so happy.

I guess all this excitement could be due to the fact that I'm comming from my almost 3 year old Palm IIIxe. I had the opportunity to use a new iPAQ 3850 for the first week of this month and saw the PocketPC light. Over that week the soft glow of the 16-bit color screen slowly pulled me in till there was no going back to the 4-bit grey, slow, palm. I immediately started looking into the current market offerings and realized how much bang for the buck that Dell is offering. I almost went for the hp1910 for the size since I kept hearing that the Dell was such a brick, but it didn't have any expandability and the battery life is hoorible. What pushed me over the edge was measuring the dimensions of my Palm IIIxe and comparig them to the Dell. The Dell is actually .17" narrower X .075" shallower and just .28" longer than my Palm, so I won't even hardly notice a difference when it's in my pocket.

I think I could go on and on but I know that you all felt the same way at one time so I won't rant on and on and on...

One Question:
Can I charge the battery in the extra battery socket in the cradel and use the Axim without a battery in the cradel? This way I know that my battery is charging fully and correctly and I'm still able to play with my toy, I mean, extremely important organization tool (just ask my wife :P ).

Kati Compton
02-18-2003, 05:45 AM
That is what I thought of a few days after I charged my Axim. Doh!

I see no reason why it shouldn't work, but I wouldn't bother doing a lot of installation stuff while it's no battery, just AC.

spinedoc
02-18-2003, 05:14 PM
I wonder how Dell decides who gets what shipped when. I place my order on feb 11 (for a 400mhz model which Ive been told is not so much in demand) and my ship date remains at feb 26.

Sigh, hope I have the same luck as you...

cachris
02-18-2003, 11:15 PM
:D Ordered My Axim on 02/13 it :D Arrived on 02/17!!
-C

luebster
02-19-2003, 12:43 AM
Blimey! I ordered mine 2/7....still no sign of it. :cry:

Ufdah
02-19-2003, 01:10 AM
Sure is strange how these things are going out, it almost seems like they're picking names out of a hat. :lol:

Well I'm using it! I'm deffinately liking the screen and the cradel is awesome!. One complaint is that the scroll wheel button is very dificult to press although it seems that it may be getting easier with use. All in all I'm quite happy. Now I just need some good apps because this thing is almost bare.

IronGeek
02-19-2003, 01:16 AM
Mine was ordered about the 1st and was suppose to ship on the 24th, but I got it today!!!

pez
02-19-2003, 06:31 AM
Im sure it goes by location probably..

Where do you all live who got yours earlier..

I bet the ones like next to texas get theres extremely easily.. meaning me when I order mine since im in Plano, TX :P

jd4science
02-19-2003, 07:31 AM
A few on some different forums did a chart of the axims they had orderd, rceiver, etc... It turnes out(from thier "study") that Dell is not shipping FIFO. I ordered mine (400) the 17 of January and recieved it the 6th of feb. I know of people who ordered it on the 21st and got it before me though, so I don't know what Dell is doing.

PetiteFlower
02-19-2003, 08:08 AM
They're not all shipping from Texas either. Mine shipped from Harrisburg which means that I (living in Philly) got it overnight even though I didn't pay for overnight shipping :)

luebster
02-19-2003, 02:10 PM
I just checked my order status (I ordered my 300 on 2/7) on Dell's website and it shows it shipped on 2/17!!! But it shows "In Transit" and there's no tracking number, although it does says the carrier is UPS.

I'm holding out hope that it gets here by Friday .

IronGeek
02-19-2003, 03:28 PM
I live in New Albany, Indiana right across the river from Louisville, Kentucky which has a UPS air hub.

Kati Compton
02-19-2003, 04:37 PM
I just checked my order status (I ordered my 300 on 2/7) on Dell's website and it shows it shipped on 2/17!!! But it shows "In Transit" and there's no tracking number, although it does says the carrier is UPS.

I'm holding out hope that it gets here by Friday .

Call the phone status number - you'll get more up-to-date info. Mine still said "In Transit" with no tracking number after it was delivered.

luebster
02-19-2003, 06:01 PM
Call the phone status number - you'll get more up-to-date info. Mine still said "In Transit" with no tracking number after it was delivered.
LOL...I just went back to Dell's site to look up the phone number and my order has been updated with a tracking number. It is scheduled for delivery tomorrow!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks anyway, kati42 :wink: