View Full Version : Why the drastic price diff from Socket, Pretec, Belkin and Anycom Bluetooth cards?

mcclutz
02-17-2003, 04:39 AM
Just curious what the justification is for the Socket CF 1 bluetooth card being at least $80 more than the other blutooth cards. Any thoughts from those who might have these? I'm in the market for one to go with my Axim and my Nokia 6310i.

Thanks in advance.
McClutz

Stik
02-17-2003, 03:12 PM
Just curious what the justification is for the Socket CF 1 bluetooth card being at least $80 more than the other blutooth cards.

Huh??

I can find the Socket B^ card for under $100.00 which means you can get the others you mentioned for about $20??? :roll:
http://www.buy.com/retail/computers/product.asp?sku=10313584&loc=101

Just joshing w/ you, but one needs to shop around. :wink:

To try and answer your question, I think many look at the form factor of the Socket card vs. the others...

The Socket B^ card has a unique design - a fully integrated antenna offering two major benefits: it will not change the size or look of your Pocket PC and reduces the risk of damage to the card or Pocket PC when in use.

Other factors ...
Socket provides good customer support once one registers their product and a forum where other product users help each other over any ' bumps' they run into.

Please keep in mind that as a company Socket is a ' dwarf ' compared to the Belkin's of the wireless world, hence their pricing pressure is different than some of these other larger companies. It's just my own opinion that Socket makes up any price shortcomings w/ both quality of their product and customer services.

daS
02-19-2003, 04:48 AM
Warning! Shameless plug to follow: :)

We have a brief review of a few Bluetooth CF cards on our web site at www.bluetoothnews.com

In short, the Socket card has the advantage of a flush antenna, so nothing sticks out of the Pocket PC. That’s certainly worth quite a bit to some people, whether it’s worth it to you, is obviously your call.

mcclutz
02-20-2003, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the response. Sorry I should've have mentioned the $80 difference was in Canadian funds, so for you two, roughly $1.50.
I just ordered the Dell card, so hopefully it will not stick out too much. I figured for $109 Canadian (roughly $1.70 US) it should work smoothly with my Axim. So long as it works with my Nokia Bluetooth phone...