View Full Version : Ipaq 54xx turning itself on!!!

rooks308
02-17-2003, 01:26 AM
This is really wierd, I was just sitting here surfing the net and all of a sudden my Ipaq turns itself on and just sits there. I was like "what the heck". So I turned it off thinking maybe I bumped a button by accident or something but then I thought I'd keep an eye on it. About 1 hour later I happened to be sitting on the couch watching a movie with my wife and I saw a light come on by the PC. Sure enough my Ipaq was on again. I thought it might be a program so I gave my fingerprint and was greeted by the today screen. Hmmm.... I thought. So I checked to see if any programs were running in the background.... nothing..... So I turned it off again and sure enough, just a moment ago....(2-2.5 hours later) it turned itself on. Anybody else experience this with any handhelds. Is it an Ipaq thing or a pocket pc thing. I never noticed this with my E200, or E125. Wierd Huh? :?:

Chris Spera
02-17-2003, 05:01 AM
I've noticed that all of my PPC's turn themselves on at Midnight. I dunno why... :roll:

I have also seen this random turn on thing, but not as often as you have. I'm not sure what's going on. do you have any appointments that might be triggering an alarm?

Christopher Spera

umichboy
02-17-2003, 05:32 AM
My 5450 turns on all the time as well, and I don't have any appointments with alarms. I noted this before, but nobody seems to have an answer. It turns itself off in a minute anyway, so I don't really mind that much. 1 minute every hour or so isn't going to kill me.

William Yeung
02-17-2003, 05:35 AM
Is that every hour or just 12:00am?
12:00am is the standard nursing auto turn on habit for Pocket PC, nothing to worry about except if you have Windows Media Player on then ur battery is going to die.... (because WMP will prevent the system turn off again once its turned on...)

If thats more than once on 12:00am (i.e. some other time) then absolutely there is a bug.

vincentsiaw
02-17-2003, 06:37 AM
i thought all ipaq turn on by itself every midnight to update the appointment....

Dave Beauvais
02-17-2003, 07:20 AM
All Pocket PCs (not just iPAQs) turn on at approximately 12:00 to update the Today screen's calendar display. They typically turn off again with in a minute, so most people never notice unless they happen to be awake and can see the screen. However, as William mentioned, if Media Player happens to be running, the PPC will not turn itself off even if nothing is playing. It baffles me how some developer could have thought that would be a good idea. :roll:

A possible cause for the random power on is ActiveStink on the Pocket PC being set for scheduled syncs. In ActiveSync on your iPAQ, select Options from the Tools menu and tap on the Schedule tab. In that box are three checkboxes. At the very least, make sure the top two are not checked. I also uncheck the third because that causes ActiveSync to disconnect automatically when syncing via Wi-Fi, which I find annoying.

If that's not the culprit, a drastic troubleshooting measure would be to see if the behavior is present following a hard reset. :(

--Dave

Lucent
02-17-2003, 11:23 AM
You enabled the battery monitor in iPAQ backup. Apparently it monitors the battery by turning on every hour.

Server
02-18-2003, 08:06 AM
All Pocket PCs (not just iPAQs) turn on at approximately 12:00 to update the Today screen's calendar display....
--Dave

I have never seen this with my 5450 unit. When off it stays off. Why would a PPC need to turn itself on to 'update the Today screen's calendar'?? If the clock can be maintained without having the unit turn on then why not the calendar?

Anyways, my unit does not turn on unless told to. ie. alarm/appointments/reminders.. etc.

Steven Cedrone
02-18-2003, 03:57 PM
i thought all ipaq turn on by itself every midnight to update the appointment....

All Pocket PC's turn on at 12:00am. regardless of brand...

Don't believe it? Stay up at midnight and watch... :wink:

Steve

Server
02-18-2003, 04:12 PM
Well then I must have the first PPC that does not wake up at 12am. Last night I had the unit in the cradle next to my laptop and I was working on the laptop past 12am and my 5450 *DID NOT* wake up.

Could it be that it wakes up at different times for everyone? What if I had used the unit prior to 12am? Would the today screen update at that oportunity instead? Since I'v had my 5450 I have never seen it wake up on its own, as this would have definatly caught my attention.

I still don't see why the these units would need to turn on in the first place? Again, if the clock and alarm can function in the off state why not the today screen too??

Jimmy Dodd
02-18-2003, 06:41 PM

All Pocket PC's turn on at 12:00am. regardless of brand...

Don't believe it? Stay up at midnight and watch... :wink:

Steve

This is something I've always taken for granted without any proof, but that :wink: was just too much for me. I decided to experiment a little.

Well, I didn't stay up until midnight, but I did reset my clock to 11:55 PM, fired up Media Player, hit play, and then turned off the device and waited. And waited. And waited. Nothing happened. Hmmm???? Is this keyed off the system clock (the Clock app) or a timer in the system that we can't see? It must at least have access to the Time Zone, else it would only occur at midnight for 1/24th of the planet. Any ideas?

Wondering further, how do the reminders work? Are they timers recalculated everytime the user changes the clock? Are they checked against the current time everytime the clock ticks over a minute? Has anyone looked into this?

Dave Beauvais
02-18-2003, 07:55 PM
Well, every Palm-size PC and Pocket PC I have owned turned on sometime between 12:00 and 12:01. My Uniden Unipro PC100A, Casio E-200, Toshiba e740, and HP iPAQ h5455 have all done this. My previous e740 and current h5455 seem to automatically turn off again after approximately one minute unless I happen to actually use them.

I assume the Today screen updates at midnight so that the first time you actually use your Pocket PC during the day, you don't have to wait the second or two that it usually takes for Calendar, Task, and other updates to show up.

--Dave

Server
02-18-2003, 08:29 PM
Well, every Palm-size PC and Pocket PC I have owned turned on sometime between 12:00 and 12:01......
I assume the Today screen updates at midnight so that the first time you actually use your Pocket PC during the day, you don't have to wait the second or two that it usually takes for Calendar, Task, and other updates to show up.

--Dave

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. I can't understand why these *internal functions* can't just take place while the unit is OFF?? I have yet to see my unit (5450) self turn on. The architecture of a all pc's (pocket/notebook) would/should allow for basic time and other house keeping instructions to be handled while in suspend mode. In fact I just called HP to confirm this. According to 'Jason' there is no reason why the unit would turn on by itself unless some Appointment/reminder/event is buried somewhere in your outlook or somewhere else. Otherwise it should remain off until turned on.

Call HP and ask if you don't believe me.

Janak Parekh
02-18-2003, 08:40 PM
Server,

Dave's not making up, and "Jason" is confused:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263719

I agree that an architecture that needs to do this is a bit flawed, but it definitely does it on all of my Pocket PCs and Microsoft says it's "by design".

--janak

Server
02-18-2003, 09:06 PM
Server,

Dave's not making up, and "Jason" is confused:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263719

I agree that an architecture that needs to do this is a bit flawed, but it definitely does it on all of my Pocket PCs and Microsoft says it's "by design".

--janak

Well thats just dandy. I have iPaq5450 that does not conform to MS intructions as per your link, an HP tech guy named "jason" who tells me it shouldnt turn on, and all you guys telling me it does.

It makes no sense to me. My unit does not turn on. I will have to conduct more testing on this tonight. But just a curiosity note, could it be that having the bioswipe on standby prevents the unit from turning on??

there must be something I'm missing here.

Dave Beauvais
02-18-2003, 10:01 PM
... But just a curiosity note, could it be that having the bioswipe on standby prevents the unit from turning on??
No, because when mine turns on at midnight (every night) it sits there prompting me to give it the finger. :) If I ignore it (or if I'm asleep already,) the iPAQ turns off after about one minute. If I do swipe a finger, it turns off after my specified period of inactivity in Power Settings just as if I'd turned it on manually and left it idle. It does happen that way every night.

I'm sure you're not trying to call me a liar, but it's certainly coming off that way. I know what all of my Pocket PCs have done. Aside from the MS Knowledge Base article that Janak linked to above, there is anecdotal evidence (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22pocket+pc%22+%22turns+on+at+midnight%22&num=20&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&newwindow=1&safe=off&filter=0) that this happens to other peoples' PPCs, as well. If yours doesn't behave this way, that's great; just understand that for most other Pocket PC owners, it does happen, no matter what you or a Hewlett-Packard tech support rep might say.

--Dave

Server
02-18-2003, 10:16 PM
I'm sure you're not trying to call me a liar, but it's certainly coming off that way....--Dave

Not at all. Just trying to get to the bottom of this. Sometimes, I think these things have a mind of their own.... just like HAL9K

Anyways, for those who are watching this thread, I will be posting my test results tonight at 12:01am and then again at 1:01am

and yes.. I have no life.

Server
02-19-2003, 07:03 AM
As promised, I am posting the results of my testing for the iPaq5450 with Danish battery.

- 12:00am EST. unit REMAINS in OFF state
- 12:01am EST. Unit REMAINS in OFF state

- 1:00am EST Unit still remains in OFF state
- 1:01am EST Unit still remains in OFF state

So for the record, let it be known, NOT ALL PPCs turn on as stated by some and claimed by MS knowledge base. I dont know if my unit is defective or has a hidden pre-released ms patch, all I know is that it is not turning on byitself for any kind of today screen 'updates'.

Perhaps a Poll may be in order?

spursdude
02-19-2003, 07:20 AM
As promised, I am posting the results of my testing for the iPaq5450 with Danish battery.

- 12:00am EST. unit REMAINS in OFF state
- 12:01am EST. Unit REMAINS in OFF state

- 1:00am EST Unit still remains in OFF state
- 1:01am EST Unit still remains in OFF state

So for the record, let it be known, NOT ALL PPCs turn on as stated by some and claimed by MS knowledge base. I dont know if my unit is defective or has a hidden pre-released ms patch, all I know is that it is not turning on byitself for any kind of today screen 'updates'.

Perhaps a Poll may be in order?

Hm, now I'm curious. Perhaps I'll stay up past 12 tonight... just out of curiosity, was your iPaq in cradle when it passed 12 a.m.? I have no idea how that could affect things, but who knows....

Dave Beauvais
02-19-2003, 07:22 AM
... I dont know if my unit is defective or has a hidden pre-released ms patch ...
I certainly would not suspect it to be defective. Also for the record, mine did turn on at midnight and turned off at 12:03 just as it does every night. :D Count yourself lucky, I guess... you get three minutes more battery life than most of us get. :lol:

Thanks for reporting your findings. At the very least, they are interesting.

--Dave

Server
02-19-2003, 07:34 AM
just out of curiosity, was your iPaq in cradle when it passed 12 a.m.? I have no idea how that could affect things, but who knows....

At 12:00am it was on cradle and unit was OFF

At 1:00am it was OFF crade and unit was OFF

There must be a reasonable explanation for all these differences.

Could it be that mine turns on at say at 4am?? or 6am?? instead of 12am?

Steven Cedrone
02-19-2003, 03:39 PM
just out of curiosity, was your iPaq in cradle when it passed 12 a.m.? I have no idea how that could affect things, but who knows....

At 12:00am it was on cradle and unit was OFF

At 1:00am it was OFF crade and unit was OFF

There must be a reasonable explanation for all these differences.

Could it be that mine turns on at say at 4am?? or 6am?? instead of 12am?

Just curious(actually, very curious), when you get a chance try this:

Set your clock to 11:45 pm, then do a soft reset, log in again, check an appt., turn off (It shouldn't need to be in the cradle either): see what happens at 12:00am...

Steve

Server
02-19-2003, 04:06 PM
Just curious(actually, very curious), when you get a chance try this:

Set your clock to 11:45 pm, then do a soft reset, log in again, check an appt., turn off (It shouldn't need to be in the cradle either): see what happens at 12:00am...

Steve

Reset to 11:45p
check an appointment
then turned off...

12:00am ... nada
12:05am ....nada

still does not turn on.

Steven Cedrone
02-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Reset to 11:45p
check an appointment
then turned off...

12:00am ... nada
12:05am ....nada

still does not turn on.

Congratulations! You have the only Pocket PC that does not turn on at midnight...

Oh, make sure you go out and buy some lottery tickets!!! :wink:

Steve

Steven Cedrone
02-19-2003, 04:22 PM
O.K., one more thing: do the same as above(changing time, etc.), but this time add an appt. for tomorrow at 11:00am before you do it...

Give that a shot!!!

Steve

Server
02-19-2003, 04:37 PM
11am appoint added, and time changed to 11:45pm
reset. and turn off..

12:00am nada

12:01am nada

Im going to buy that lottery ticket.

Im also going to conduct a poll on Brighthand... i cant be the only with this 'gift'