View Full Version : Questions on IPAQ 5450: Please help!

lanwarrior
02-16-2003, 02:09 PM
Hi all,

I have a few questions for the 5450 that I just can't figure out and hope that anyone can help. Here we go:

1. BACKUP / RESTORE
If I backup my iPAQ and then restore it, will it restore EVERYTHING including the installed software, along with the data (contacts, calendar, etc.)?

2. INBOX
I have setup my email account in the 5450 inbox, so I can check emails wirelessly using my Panasonic GD88 (GPRS). This works flawlessly. HOWEVER, when I do ActiveSync, the Inbox software continue to DOWNLOAD NEW EMAILS and put it in Inbox, even when the Inbox program is not running. How do I ensure that the 5450 is not checking email automatically when connecting to ActiveSync?

Thank you all!

dannyoneill
02-16-2003, 03:42 PM
You can backup with activesync, however when you do a restore it will restore everything.

Or you can use ipaq backup to backup to a SD card or the file store, then you can restore just certain files, the registry etc.

lanwarrior
02-16-2003, 03:54 PM
I got the answer from someone: iPAQ BAckup apps. (in 5450) DOES backup everything and will restore everything back too.

Now only the Inbox questions...

jeffdiogenes
02-16-2003, 04:15 PM
In your activesync options on the desktop uncheck Inbox sync?

lanwarrior
02-16-2003, 04:34 PM
Yup, did that. See, I was not trying to SYNC my email, but 5450 just keep on CHECKING the email, not download from Inbox. The apparent result is that the email then won't show up in my Outlook or Outlook can't connect to the mail server since the mail server sees that there are 2 concurrent connection using the same username and password.

BGinWA
02-16-2003, 07:53 PM
go to options under the tools menu in inbox, select the service, and on the 4th screen where you setup the server info select options, uncheck the box next to "check for new messages every"

lanwarrior
02-17-2003, 03:27 AM
Yup, did that too.

FYI, I just did a HARD RESET, didn't install any 3rd party apps, setup Inbox and sync with Outlook. Guess what happened? It DID get the email again!

I am jinxed man...

Chris Spera
02-17-2003, 04:59 AM
No, you're not jinxed. :D

Dispite having Inbox unchecked, ActiveSync will still download headers to Inbox if you have an account set up. This is not a bug...its a feature. :lol:

This has happened to me on EVERY PocketPC that I have set up Inbox on (whether using POP3 or IMAP4). I can only say that if you're wanting to make sure that you use as little memory as possible, ensure that you store all of your attachments on a storage card, and then make sure that Inbox is only pulling headers and not the entire message.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Janak Parekh
02-17-2003, 05:30 AM
Dispite having Inbox unchecked, ActiveSync will still download headers to Inbox if you have an account set up. This is not a bug...its a feature. :lol:
Hmm, I should have checked this discussion earlier. Jason posted on this a while back, and there's a fix. See this link (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4573), and in particular check the 2nd page. You can tell ActiveSync to stop firing up Inbox. Note that it requires a registry edit.

--janak

lanwarrior
02-17-2003, 07:18 AM
You guys rocks!! I'll install today!