View Full Version : Micro Innovations keyboard $30

MPSmith
02-15-2003, 10:05 PM
I thought I'd post this deal here, since I'm a Dell owner and PPCThoughts has no "Hot Deals" forum.

Starting tomorrow at CompUSA, you can get a Micro Innovations (same as Pocketop) wireless IR keyboard for $29.99 + tax!!!

$99.99
($20.00) instant savings
($20.00) price break
($30.00) Mail in rebate

$29.99 + tax

But don't ask me what the difference is between instant savings and a price break!

For the same price, you can get a number of Ambicom products, like a CF modem, cf wi-fi card, cf bluetooth card or a bluetooth USB adapter.

PRETTY COOL!

IronGeek
02-15-2003, 10:32 PM
So, how long does the sale last?

Pony99CA
02-15-2003, 10:34 PM
I thought I'd post this deal here, since I'm a Dell owner and PPCThoughts has no "Hot Deals" forum.
There's no Hot Deals forum? What about this forum (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=26)? :-)

Steve

MPSmith
02-15-2003, 10:36 PM
The ad doesn't say, probably from tomorrow until next Sunday.

IronGeek
02-15-2003, 10:37 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip. Hope it does not take to long too get the rebate. Has anyone used this with the Axim? How well does it work?

MPSmith
02-15-2003, 10:44 PM
There's no Hot Deals forum? What about this forum (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=26)? :-)

Steve

Sorry Steve, that forum is only for affiliates. The description says "Our affiliate partners duel for your dollars with their best hardware & software deals." FYI, here's a thread to a discussion on the need for a Hot Deals forum.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8176

Nice try though. :wink:

crispeto
02-16-2003, 04:17 AM
I have this keyboard and it works great! I paid $50 and I thought that was a good deal!

MPSmith
02-16-2003, 04:19 AM
I've read that it works best in landscape mode with the Dell. Is that true? Will it work just as well in standing straight up?

PapaSmurfDan
02-16-2003, 04:58 AM
Grr, does anyone know what Compuka's price match policy is? Unfortantly, I think I have had mine too long to get them to honor their new price :(

-Dan

PetiteFlower
02-16-2003, 07:34 AM
I know none of the major tech stores around here (best buy, circuit city, comp usa) price match with online retailers, only with other local physical stores.

And the problem with this keyboard is that because of the Axim's narrow IR reception, the only ways to get it to work with an IR keyboard is either to use landscape mode or to set up some kind of rig with a mirror to make the connect. So it's been posted in here anyway.

MPSmith
02-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Good point about the IR Petite.

I've read that too, but some have said it works fine upright, too. I think that running the Ax in landscape while typing text is the best way to go anyway, since it would give you more space per line of text. Besides, for $30 I might give it a try no matter what.

Heck, I can always return it. :wink:

Pony99CA
02-16-2003, 10:49 AM
I know none of the major tech stores around here (best buy, circuit city, comp usa) price match with online retailers, only with other local physical stores.
I've gotten Staples to do price matches with Web sites. I'd print out the deal online and take it to the store. Their ads said they'll meet any price anywhere.

I don't know if they still do that, though.

Steve

Pony99CA
02-16-2003, 10:58 AM

Sorry Steve, that forum is only for affiliates. The description says "Our affiliate partners duel for your dollars with their best hardware & software deals." FYI, here's a thread to a discussion on the need for a Hot Deals forum.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8176

Nice try though. :wink:
Well, there still is a Hot Deals forum; it's just not user-postable. :-( Thanks for pointing that out; I guess I didn't read the Index description closely enough. :oops:

I'll put some comments in that thread you linked me to.

Steve

Andy Whiteford
02-16-2003, 01:14 PM
And the problem with this keyboard is that because of the Axim's narrow IR reception, the only ways to get it to work with an IR keyboard is either to use landscape mode or to set up some kind of rig with a mirror to make the connect. So it's been posted in here anyway.

You can use the flip screen option (in the keyboard driver options) to turn the screen upside down and still use the Axim in portrait mode without the need for the stand or mirrors. This is actually my preferred method of using this keyboard with the Axim and the screen flip doesn't require a soft reset when still working in portrait.

shawnc
02-16-2003, 03:11 PM
The ad doesn't say, probably from tomorrow until next Sunday.

MPSmith,

I saw the same ad and in Pgh it looks as though many of the items are only on sale through Presidents Day (tomorrow).

Also, I don't know if something new is coming along but Compusa seems to be virtually giving away network cards (wireless and wired) and routers. Circuit city and Best Buy had similar ads, but not nearly as good as COMPUSA.

MPSmith
02-16-2003, 03:14 PM
I saw the same ad and in Pgh it looks as though many of the items are only on sale through Presidents Day (tomorrow).

The STL wasn't clear on when the sale ended. I'm gonna go today just in case. Besides, our Compusa here has a knack for running out quickly when there's a great sale.

I was eyeing the bluetooth adapter, but don't know what I'd use it for, except maybe with a headset. Any ideas?

PetiteFlower
02-16-2003, 09:51 PM
The only store I've found that will price match with online stores is Staples. However they never have anything I want!

MPSmith
02-16-2003, 10:01 PM
I just got back from buying the keyboard and bluetooth cf card. Couldn't pass up $30 each! I'll eventually get a bluetooth enabled phone and other goodies, so why not get the CF card now?

I haven't tried out the keyboard yet, but I think it looks very nice. The stand is a little cheap feeling, but it'll be fine. The keyboard itself is way cool. Now I need to go download the Dell drivers and I'll be ready to go!

Axim_Newbie
02-18-2003, 02:44 AM
I just picked up the keyboard for $35!! (59+tax-rebate)
I must say, this keyboard is very nice.
I had to download the Axim drivers from the web.
I currently have my Axim docked in the cradle and the stand fits (loosly) behind my Axim. Works Great!
Thank you OP for a great deal.

You can download drivers directly from the site.
http://www.mi-products.com./drivers/SetupPocketPC2002.zip

TheBacklash
02-18-2003, 04:57 AM

The STL wasn't clear on when the sale ended. I'm gonna go today just in case. Besides, our Compusa here has a knack for running out quickly when there's a great sale.

I was eyeing the bluetooth adapter, but don't know what I'd use it for, except maybe with a headset. Any ideas?

Ok I am looking at the physical paper ad... :?
The sale is NOT in the special 2-day part, and is in the main section, so it's a week long normal sale.

Probably going to pick this up tomorrow in-store. that is *if* they still have any left...

MPSmith
02-18-2003, 05:13 AM
Ok I am looking at the physical paper ad... :?
The sale is NOT in the special 2-day part, and is in the main section, so it's a week long normal sale.

Probably going to pick this up tomorrow in-store. that is *if* they still have any left...

CompUSA will end the sale when they darn well please, if there is no listed end-date on the ad. If you go in on Tuesday and it is over, good luck arguing the point. All I said was it was "unclear when the sale ended"; meaning who knows? Besides, where did you learn that the sale would last a week? You don't know that. Is it such awful advice on my part to indicate that there is no listed end date? Personally, I prefer not to try to decipher what their intention is.

I can appreciate that you are trying to alert some that the sale may last a week, but don't act like you know how long the sale lasts. You don't.

pez
02-18-2003, 08:38 AM
I saw that ad and everything.. that WiFi bluetooth and modem were at superb prices too

EPol29
02-18-2003, 03:31 PM
CompUSA will end the sale when they darn well please, if there is no listed end-date on the ad. If you go in on Tuesday and it is over, good luck arguing the point. All I said was it was "unclear when the sale ended"; meaning who knows? Besides, where did you learn that the sale would last a week? You don't know that. Is it such awful advice on my part to indicate that there is no listed end date? Personally, I prefer not to try to decipher what their intention is.

I can appreciate that you are trying to alert some that the sale may last a week, but don't act like you know how long the sale lasts. You don't.

Just FYI:

Current Rebate:
Valid From: 2/16/03
Valid To: 2/22/03
Rebate Details:
Regular Retail Price: $99.99
-$20.00 Instant Saving
-$20.00 price break

You Pay: $59.99 Price after instant rebates, if any
-$30.00 Mfr. Mail-in Rebate

CompUSA Price: $29.99 Price after instant & mail-in rebates

I've got mine and I'm very happy with it. :lol:

TheBacklash
02-18-2003, 05:56 PM
An old GF worked at Compusa.... I spent LOTS of time there

THATS why I knew looking at the Paper ad with the keyboard being in the MIDDLE of the ad meant the whole week.

Besides if you were smart enough to DOWNLOAD the rebate.... OR read the page AT COMPUSA.COM

take a look for yourself (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=289678&pfp=SEARCH&tabtype=rb)

MPSmith
02-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

I really like mine. It only works with my Axim when placed upside down in the stand (which is fine with me). I can't get either landscape position or upright to work. The Dell IR is just too weak.

But when it is upside down and placed in front of the IR port, it works great. For $30, I'm not gonna complain. But for $100, I might have been disappointed (with the Dell I mean).

Sunnyone
02-18-2003, 08:25 PM
I use my Axim upright in the provided stand all the time and it works fine. You just have to angle the Axim a bit towards the IR port of the keyboard. Since I usually use mine in meetings at work, it also cuts down on the florescent glare :wink: Try this and set the Axim about 2 to 3 inches back from the keyboard angled slightly left-facing (not much, the screen is still very readable in this position).

Good luck!

GoldKey
02-18-2003, 08:50 PM
It only works with my Axim when placed upside down in the stand (which is fine with me). I can't get either landscape position or upright to work. The Dell IR is just too weak.

Question - alot of you are talking about using it in landscape or upside down to get the IR to work. Does the keyboard include a driver that lets you rotate the screen or are you just touch typing and don't need to read it back while you are typing?

Thanks

Sunnyone
02-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Goldkey,

The driver is included with the keyboard, but you are advised to download an updated driver (for the Axim) from the Pocketop website.

http://pocketop.radiant.net/drivers.shtml

MPSmith
02-18-2003, 09:16 PM
When the driver is installed (go to pocketop.net to get it), the way you activate the keyboard is to simply choose it the same way you choose transcriber, keyboard, letter recognizer, etc. Pocketop adds itself to that list. What could be easier?!

When you choose pocketop, a small menu appears. One selection on this menu allows you to choose the screen orientation: normal, reverse (upside down), left or right. To go to landscape (left or right) the program prompts you that it will soft reset the PPC. Going from normal to reverse or left to right does not require a soft reset.

Has anyone else been able to get landscape or upright to work? I can almost get landscape to work, but not quite.

Andy Whiteford
02-18-2003, 11:08 PM
Landscape works perfect for me with the Axim but I haven't tried it upright with the stand yet. Will give that a test tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

crispeto
02-19-2003, 01:14 AM
I use it in its upright position all the time. I just extend the mirror up as far as it will go and move the axim back about 5 inches. Works great.

waymon
02-19-2003, 10:11 PM
I purchased the keyboard for $64.00 before $30.00 rebate. What do I have to do to operate this keyboard with my Axim 400. The tech at mi-products.com states that I have to update my firmware before operating this keyboard. Help with instructions or some guidance.
Waymon :?:

Andy Whiteford
02-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Just download the latest keyboard driver from their site and install.

waymon
02-20-2003, 01:53 PM
I took your advice and downloaded the keyboard driver and it works. I have to adjust the keyboard and stand. Works best about 6 to 8 inches apart. Thanks :D