View Full Version : Which Wireless PC cards work with 568 and MS Home Network?

dugn
02-13-2003, 07:21 PM
I POSTED THIS IN THE "RETRO" JORNADA FORUM, BUT GOT NO REPLIES. CAN ANYONE HERE HELP?

I just got the PC Card adapter for the HP Jornada 568 and want to know which PCMCIA wireless cards will work with this adapter and my Microsoft Home Networking setup. I searched the web, but missed finding sites that could give me this information.

Can the gurus here help?

Thanks in advance!

Sooner Al
02-13-2003, 08:17 PM
...Chris De Herrera's Peripherals FAQ for a BIG LIST of PPC compatible cards...

http://www.cewindows.net/peripherals.htm

As far as PC Card form factor cards, versus CF form factor, the ORiNOCO Gold/Silver cards get very good reviews. I use a Silver card with my iPAQ 3835 on occasion.

brntcrsp
02-13-2003, 09:40 PM
I'm using the Symbol Wireless Networker CF card, and it's great. That said I would probably encourgae you towards the Socket version of the card because Socket has much better customer support, and I think the drivers are better too.

Neither are all the cheap (last I looked), but they are definitely worth it. Plus if you get a CF ->PCMCIA adapter you can use the CF card in a noteboook or other device with the PCMCIA slot.

dugn
02-13-2003, 11:34 PM
Since I've GOT to have my 128MB CF card, I have only two options as I understand them:

1 - Get a CF card 'splitter' so I can run 2 CF cards in the Jornada 548 - one for my CF card memory, the other for a wireless card (which means fast battery drain). PRO: CF-based wireless cards will surely come with drivers for the Jornada.

OR

2 - Get the PC Card adapter (which comes with an extended battery as part of the package), convert to SD card storage (which I can do), then I need to use a PCMCIA-based wireless card instead of a CF-based card. CONS: Assuring Pocket PC 2002 drivers are available for the Jornada *and* that it will work with my very standard Microsoft Home Wirelss networking configuration (which shouldn't be hard, right?).

Thanks for your answers!

hulksmash
02-19-2003, 04:35 PM
I use the Compaq iPaq HNW-100 wifi PC Card with both my Jornada 568 and iPaq 3955. For some reason, it is WAY easier to set up with the Jornada than with the iPaq 3955. I am on Comcast Cable hi-speed however.