View Full Version : Resco File Explorer 2003 Updated

Janak Parekh
02-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Ed posted on this piece of software <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6264">late last year</a>, and it seems the new version, 4.10, corrects a number of bugs, including the 128-bit encryption problem, and adds a few features, like advanced file searches and wordwrap in the file viewer.<br /><br />You can upgrade your registration code <a href="http://www.resco-net.com/regcode.asp">here</a>, and download the new software <a href="http://www.resco-net.com/explorer_dwn.asp">here</a>.

Jonathan1
02-13-2003, 08:32 PM
Screw em. I e-mailed then twice about my problem. I want to upgrade to V3, with the discount that I'm assuming is now over, but my e-mail address has changed. So I need them to change where they send my reg code. Both times over a 2 week period...no response. :evil: I attribute it to:
1. Too many e-mail and not enough support.
or
2. They just don't care.

In any case _I_ just don't care. If they don't want my money I'm perfectly happy sticking with V2.xx. Their loss not mine.

CESkins
02-13-2003, 08:46 PM
This new registration code system sucks big time. I upgraded to the 2003 version and got no registration codes after purchasing the upgrade. When I did get the code for RFE 2003 the code was incorrect due to a problem with the code generator. 3 wks later I finally get an e-mail with all the correct codes from tech support in response to my e-mail complaint. Fortunately, I had already received the correct new code for RFE 2003 automatically once they corrected the problem. Now I uninstall v4.0 (RFE 2002) and install v4.10 only to find out that the code I got for v4.0 doesn't work with this minor upgrade and I need to get a new code. This is getting ridiculous. Now I have to wait up to 24 h before I am issued a new code for software that I recently bought and only had a relatively minor version change. Very inconvenient. Hopefully, I don't end up waiting 3 more weeks for a new code for v4.10. :(

Rok
02-13-2003, 08:49 PM
Jonathan1, I find that extremely strange. I e-mailed them because they changed the registration codes even from previous 2003 version and received a response (with the link to appropriate page) within an hour! So perhaps you should check your e-mail account...

Regards,

Rok

CESkins
02-13-2003, 08:55 PM
Rok I believe the problem is that his original e-mail address has changed and so he has to wait until tech support contacts him with the new codes or updates his e-mail address in their database.

Rok
02-13-2003, 09:40 PM
Rok I believe the problem is that his original e-mail address has changed and so he has to wait until tech support contacts him with the new codes or updates his e-mail address in their database.
I wasn't talking about automated response. I received e-mail from their support (live), directing me to the appropriate page (I installed the upgrade about an hour after they posted it, and there was no info on how to get new registration code at that time - that's what you get if you're too eager :lol: )...

Rok

Bradskey
02-13-2003, 09:47 PM
I had bought version 3.x back in May, and never really used it cuz it was kinda' slow. I just got by with built-in explorer most of the time. Apparently my original keycode was generated by hand, but when I asked questions about it not working with the upgrade by e-mail I got really quick responses (one very late in the evening, when I had sent a question before going to bed -- it was there the next morning!). It was just a couple of days ago, and they recommended for me to wait and get the 4.10 release, and they sent me a new code for it by e-mail. This new release is great and I can tell already I'll be using it all the time. I'm not patient enough to try a bunch of other explorers, but I the fewI've tried such as Applian's don't have near as many features and also feel sluggish (like Resco used to). Resco is real snappy, like that freeby explorer ( I forget the name, Japanese developer I think) I used to use back in CE 2.x days.

Kaber
02-13-2003, 10:54 PM
I can say they have always responded same day to all my emails and only had a problem with the original registration code they sent me. I love this app. I upgraded.

smittyofdhs
02-13-2003, 10:56 PM
Screw em. I e-mailed then twice about my problem. I want to upgrade to V3, with the discount that I'm assuming is now over, but my e-mail address has changed. So I need them to change where they send my reg code. Both times over a 2 week period...no response. :evil: I attribute it to:
1. Too many e-mail and not enough support.
or
2. They just don't care.

In any case _I_ just don't care. If they don't want my money I'm perfectly happy sticking with V2.xx. Their loss not mine.

i did the same thing and had no issues. In fact, they hav sent me the codes twice now, once for the intial 2003 version, and now for 4.10.

ppeltier
02-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Took 2 minutes for me to get the new reg#.
Although I thought it would be pain, everything turned out ok...no issue at all
I love this piece of software... :werenotworthy:

smittyofdhs
02-13-2003, 11:11 PM
Here's another feature no one has mentioned yet.....

Right-click on a file on your PC, go to Send To menu.... do you see anything new?

There's a new item called "My Device". Guess what it does? yes, it let's you copy files to any folder on the PPC without having to go thru AS Explorer or by browsing via My Computer.

Note: you must install the Shell extensions during the setup process.

Jonathan1
02-13-2003, 11:49 PM
Hmmm well there was the fact that is was close to X-mas at the time. Hence the reason for several attempts. I did pay very close attention to my e-mails and didn't receive a response.
Its sort of a moot point now since the discount on the upgrade is over. It still kinda erks me. :? I may very well upgrade _AFTER_ the next version of the PPC is released. I get this twitchy feeling that since RN's File Explorer is somewhat integrated into the OS that there could be some incompatibilities. Last thing I want to do is shell out $20 if there is a chance of the app being somewhat incompatible. (Since the likely hood of the next ver of PPC is going to be CE 4 there IS the possibility.)

seanturner
02-14-2003, 01:36 AM
Hmmn... I went trhough the page for my Reg code about a day before it was posted her at ppct and never got a reply. Finally, today I went through the procedure again and finally got my reg code about 3 hours later...

I agree, something really needs to be done. However, it is preferable to a registration system based on device id's like Pocket Hack Master.

Bradskey
02-14-2003, 05:17 AM
Hmmm well there was the fact that is was close to X-mas at the time. Hence the reason for several attempts. I did pay very close attention to my e-mails and didn't receive a response.
Its sort of a moot point now since the discount on the upgrade is over. It still kinda erks me. :? I may very well upgrade _AFTER_ the next version of the PPC is released. I get this twitchy feeling that since RN's File Explorer is somewhat integrated into the OS that there could be some incompatibilities. Last thing I want to do is shell out $20 if there is a chance of the app being somewhat incompatible. (Since the likely hood of the next ver of PPC is going to be CE 4 there IS the possibility.)

Dude, you could probably buy the upgrade now and use it for close to a YEAR before MS even mentions a new PPC platform.

seanturner
02-14-2003, 05:19 AM
Dude, you could probably buy the upgrade now and use it for close to a YEAR before MS even mentions a new PPC platform.

Well, aparantly MS has talked about the newest version of Visual Studio supporting PocketPC 2003, so, it might not actually be that far off...

Evee Ev
02-25-2003, 06:09 PM
after downloading the file i tried opening it through windows explorer on the desktop. i get this pop-up message:

Extracting RSetupCE.exe
Extracting Licence.txt
Extracting Explorer2003_p.ini
Extracting Explorer2003_p.ARM.CAB
CRC failed in Explorer2003_p.ARM.CAB
Unexpected end of archive

i then tried to drop the "explorer2003_p.exe" file into the PPC and got this message:

'exploer2003' is not a valid Pocket PC application.

do i have to rename it with a .cab extension or something?

Ed Hansberry
02-25-2003, 06:23 PM
after downloading the file i tried opening it through windows explorer on the desktop. i get this pop-up message:
Try redownloading it then just double-click it. It will start the ActiveSync install process.

Evee Ev
02-25-2003, 06:40 PM
for some reason the link from handandgo was a "no go" so i went over to www.resco-net.com and downloaded it from there. thanks ed.