View Full Version : Questions on Bluetooth in H3970

leethax
02-13-2003, 07:24 AM
Hi guys

I am considering buying an IPAQ 3970, I have been using my H3630 for 2.5 years now, the lack of expansion is driving me to consider the H3970... but I have a few of questions about the unit. Hopefully you guys can tell me the answers to it

1) Can I use BT to ActiveSync with my BT enabled laptop?

2) Can I use the BT connection to my laptop and access the internet? Just like when I plug in my 3630 to the cradle, it can access the net?

3) Have you guys encountered any problems at all with setup and consistency of the BT connection? Was it straight forward? Or did the setup take you a whole day sitting down figuring it all out?

4) What about the battery life? Is it better or worse than the H3630?

Thanks a lot in advance

hollis_f
02-13-2003, 08:44 AM
1 and 2 - almost certainly yes.

3 - not with the 3970 side of things.

4 - Never owned a 3970. Battery (with BT on) is better than my 3850. With BT off it's a lot better.

Pony99CA
02-13-2003, 02:07 PM
I have an iPAQ 3870, but I haven't used the Bluetooth much. The following is based on what I've heard, not actual experience. :-)

1) Can I use BT to ActiveSync with my BT enabled laptop?

Make sure that they support the same profiles (probably the serial profile). For example, if you have the Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for the laptop, I don't believe that the Micrsoft Bluetooth USB dongle works with much else.

2) Can I use the BT connection to my laptop and access the internet? Just like when I plug in my 3630 to the cradle, it can access the net?

I would think that, if ActiveSync works, you could use the pass-through capability to access the Internet.

3) Have you guys encountered any problems at all with setup and consistency of the BT connection? Was it straight forward? Or did the setup take you a whole day sitting down figuring it all out?

Some people have found the Bluetooth Manager in the 3870/3970 confusing. Supposedly, the 5450 software is easier to use.

4) What about the battery life? Is it better or worse than the H3630?

The battery in the 3970 is 1400 mAh, while the 3630 battery is 950 mAh, so I'd think the 3970 would have better battery life, at least without Bluetooth on. In addition, you can probably have the backlight lower indoors on the 3970 than on the 3630.

Steve