View Full Version : Converting a website to PDA format?

Fubak
02-13-2003, 04:12 AM
I'm sorry for this noobish question, but is there a tool out there that will allow me to convert and store an entire website to my PDA?

For example: Let's say I have 5 webpages in my website that I wanted to convert to a PDA format and store on my PDA. What would be the easiest way to do this?

seanturner
02-13-2003, 05:15 AM
Have you tried AvantGo?

Or you could use the AutoCrawl feature on Access's NetFront which is basically a replacement for internet explorer. IMHO, its a much better browser overall.

egoz
02-16-2003, 09:50 PM
Hey, i too am about to start coding the nascent pages of an already existing web-crm app for the ppc.

Things i noticed about "PIE"...
[] long, text-embedded url's dont hyperlink propeelynto the browser (eg, a long url in an email, like validating an account's new paswd)
[] some forms falldown, when using jscript maybe?
[] ie's filters don't exist in pie... akin to losing A/C in a new hydrogen car i guess

Questions i got...
[] css in pie? limits? existant?
[] best way to auto-adust widths of text spans/divs for pie?(like these replies exceed my pie's screen width?!)

I love my new wireless iPaq so far, but i'm wondering how much hai-koo aspncoding i'll be doing.
:-)

.rob

seanturner
02-17-2003, 05:32 AM
Well, there is a fit to screen option which should wrap the text.

xendula
02-18-2003, 11:43 PM
I'm so mad. I know I found a whole list of things supported by PIE on the MS website, and saved it to my computer, and can't find it anywhere, and MS must have removed it or something, because I looked forever, and it just seems to be gone. But here's a quote from a fujitsu-siemens on the Pocket IE:

"...
HTML3.2 Tables, forms, frames, and MSXML supported.
No floating frames.
No VRML.
(New HTML Tags: DIV/SPAN, CAPTION ALIGN, DIV ALIGN, TABLE ALIGN, IMG HSPACE, IMG ALIGN, BODY VLINK, BODY ALINK, BR CLEAR, BASEFONT COLOR, TH COLSPAN)
Scriting: Windows CE JScript 3.0 (ECMA-262 compliant)No support for Regular Expressions. No VBscript
..."

I did not quite get the scripting part, does it mean there is a special version of Jscript just for PIE????

egoz
02-19-2003, 01:44 AM
no vbscript in pie...
I rarely use VBS for anything but server-side scripts, ecxept for string parsing or manipulation. So, that's cool. But, not being too aware of which JScript version i code in ;-) , can anyone mention whether this is some pre-historic version of javascript or not?

If anyone finds the page on MS regarding PIE capabilities, that would be interesting, and probably a time/hair saver.

.rob adams

fit to screen...
Hmm, these replies definitely don't fit-to-screen.

[/b]

PPCdev
02-19-2003, 09:26 AM
Fubak, first off your at the wrong site. This is for PocketPCs, not PDAs. Your question would be best answered in specific to your device at a Palm web site.

To find more information about mobile web site hypertext, please search google for WAP.

Good luck,
Andrew

egoz
02-19-2003, 05:53 PM
Found this on TechNet...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itsolutions/mobile/evaluate/mblbrwse.asp?frame=true

.rob adams

msprague
02-19-2003, 05:59 PM
Fubak, first off your at the wrong site. This is for PocketPCs, not PDAs. Your question would be best answered in specific to your device at a Palm web site.

To find more information about mobile web site hypertext, please search google for WAP.

Good luck,
Andrew
Since when is a Pocket PC not a PDA :?:
Fubak is soon going to be a proud new owner of a Dell Axim. No need to give him a hard time.

PPCdev
02-19-2003, 06:54 PM
Fubak, sorry to have misread your post. I dont know who you are, and assumed you were another lost Palm soul that wondered in thinking they had a PocketPC because someone told them so.

Ive been a bit too sensative to the lable 'PDA' being associated to the PPC, reason being partly is Im working hard to grasp VisualC++ so I can migrate development into the PPC. This is no easy task, even for someone thats progrmmed for 15 years. My mistake: spent all my time with BASIC and VB. :oops:

Being a developer, I can appericiate the differences between PocketPCs and "other devices". The "other devices" are commonly refered to by various tags (PDA, etc..) and are in most all ways, inferior. Therefore, I cringe when the PPC is refered to as something other than what it is, a pocket computer.

Please forgive... Ive taken a few Prozacs and Im all good now... No more PDA rants. :lol:

Andrew

C Brandt
03-15-2003, 01:45 AM
You could also check out iSilo at http://www.isilo.com. The converter (ISiloX) is free and the client is shareware.

Good Luck.
Chris