View Full Version : AOL Looking For Beta Testers!

Steven Cedrone
02-12-2003, 05:49 PM
This might come as good news for many of you! The AOL Anywhere Beta Team is sending out letters inviting Pocket PC users to beta test their new version of AOL and AIM software. One catch: it looks as if you may have to be a current AOL member to participate...<br /><br />Beta Testers:<br /><br />Does your PDA run the Pocket PC 2002 operating system? Does it also have a modem or other means of connecting to the Internet?<br /><br />If so, you're invited to participate in a special beta test of AOL and AIM software designed especially for your PDA. You can apply to join in this test by going to AOL Keyword: ANYWHERE BETA and selecting the "AOL for Pocket PC 2000 Beta Test Application" link.<br /><br />Spaces for this test are limited, so please apply to participate as soon as possible. Accepted applicants will receive further instructions on how to access this beta software and participate.<br /><br />All the best,<br />AOL Anywhere Beta Team

Fzara
02-12-2003, 06:27 PM
Does anyone use AOL anymore, who has a Pocket PC?

yawanag
02-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Those are my sentiments exactly. Who would use AOL except those who know nothing about computers. Never understood how they could claim: "It's so easy to use. No wonder it's #1!" Every week I receive a CD in the mail. Now they're up to 1025 hours FREE for 45 Days!

entropy1980
02-12-2003, 06:39 PM
Yeah but I bet a majority of people use AIM though as their messaging client not to mention more software for Pocket PC's the better!

jdavid
02-12-2003, 06:47 PM
yeah I got the email as a beta tester yesterday. My parents are a subscriber, so I still keep my aol screen name.

I signed up to test, so we'll see what comes along.

Sanjay Srikonda
02-12-2003, 06:50 PM
They make great mobiles for babies and they are great as coasters. I tried using AOL's trial one time. Man, oh, man, what a headache.

Could the main page BE more busy?

Fzara
02-12-2003, 06:54 PM
You know, its funny. The people I know, were smart and dropped AOL now that they have Broadband. I dont see how AOL markets its software, and people actually fall for it.
You want news? MSNBC.com

You want weather? weather.com

You want entertainment/sleeze? google.com (news-entertainment)

You want Instant Messenger? Get AIM

You want videos? MTV.com, MTV2.com

You want parental controls? Get the Norton package.

I'm sure the majority of AOL suscribers are all old people too. Who would pay $23 for their service a month?

Sanjay Srikonda
02-12-2003, 07:04 PM
There's a lot of novice users out there. My dad learns new things every day. Stuff I've probably forgotten he learns new.

Plus, there's a lot of folks out there without broadband Internet service. I used to live in Brooklyn for a long time and for a long time I only had dialup. ISPs are plentiful but a lot of them are fly-by-night and could be gone before your contract expires.

AOL's been around a long time, has a recognizable brandname, so some people use it for that as well.

Fzara
02-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Well, you can never justify the price. $23! :shocked!:

I recently saw a commercial for Netzero, which is only $9.99 a month. Sanjay, maybe its about time you convinced your dad to switch ISP's ;)

Janak Parekh
02-12-2003, 07:14 PM
If you need dialup POPs everywhere, including international, it's hard to beat AOL, still. Their purchase of CompuServe, plus their own network growth, makes them everpresent. Believe me, I'll never use it--I love my cable modem, but there are people who have legitimate uses.

--janak

Sanjay Srikonda
02-12-2003, 07:22 PM
I was sure that all ISPs had presences in all areas. Turns out not to be true. Hey, it's only a matter of time until all areas are wired for cable.

dacs29
02-12-2003, 07:43 PM
If you need dialup POPs everywhere, including international, it's hard to beat AOL, still.
Get a International IPASS account. It works great almost anywhere.

David

Jonathan1
02-12-2003, 07:47 PM
AOL Looking For Beta Testers!

So basically you are telling me AOL is looking for people to slow down / Bog down / and generally crash their Pocket PC's. Mmmmm think I'll pass. :P :D

I used AOHELL for aprox 1 week out of my free month. Then I realized how crappy it is\was. Heck some of the IRC servers that I was using actively blocks AOL's IP range. After that first week I came to the conclusion that AOL is great for the average user but if you are looking for more control and a better experience you WILL eventually jump ship. I then went with AT&T Broadband. That was 3 years ago. Since then they've been jacking the price up and am now at $60 a month for internet access. :evil: :roll: At least I have some control I just wish I could get a static IP for my home puter from ATT but they don't offer it. *shrugs* Oh well.

PS- We have public beating here in out office if someone loads AOL on their system. :lol: :wink: The user must walk around for a week dragging the stone of shame. :D

disconnected
02-12-2003, 09:56 PM
I think you're all overreacting.
There's no need to be so condescending to us ignorant masses. :D

When I first got AOL, there were no other ISPs offering unlimited plans (and it wasn't all that long ago). Even when using AOL as an ISP, there is no need to limit yourself to AOL content or browser; after connecting you can open up your own browser of choice.

I love my cable modem too, but when I travel it's good to know that AOL is just about everywhere. I've kept my unlimited AOL plan (partly because I'm too lazy to change it), but there are plans for as little as 4.95 a month for people needing minimal access while traveling. I've even been grateful for the 800 number; I think it's about 6.00 an hour, but it works from anywhere in the country.

I had the old AOL PPC2000 beta on my iPAQ 3630, and never had any problems with it, so I'm looking forward to getting it again. For a while, the only PPC option was MSN; a couple of years ago their service was a whole lot less reliable than AOL and they didn't have nearly as good coverage, although I think that's changing.

Pony99CA
02-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Those are my sentiments exactly. Who would use AOL except those who know nothing about computers.

&lt;rant>
Damn, I guess I don't know anything about computers despite my Bachelor's Degree in Math and Computer Science, my Master's Degree in Computer Science and over 18 years programming in Silicon Valley. :roll:

I have a "real" ISP, DSL, my own home network and I still keep AOL. Why? Because I occasionally enjoy using the chat rooms. Yes, I realize there are other companies that provide chat; in fact, I worked for one of them and still kept AOL.

True, there are a lot of idiots on AOL. The joke goes that when somebody leaves AOL for the "real" Internet, both places have their average IQ drop. What you forget is that there are a lot of idiots anywhere. They generally aren't too hard to spot -- just look for comments like the one I quoted above. :twisted:
&lt;/rant>

Steve

P.S. Paying only $7.95 a month helps, too. :-)

AZMark
02-12-2003, 10:06 PM
While all you who need to bash, do so, seems the Trial has filled up. Guess there are more than just one or two of us PPC users that still have AOL.

yawanag
02-12-2003, 10:10 PM
[b]P.S. Paying only $7.95 a month helps, too. :-)[b]

Got ya beat! I pay $5.75 for an ISP for retired teachers. For your parents out there tell them about SeniorGlobe. com just for Seniors at $9.95 per mo.

ExtremeSIMS
02-12-2003, 10:28 PM
I used to have the same attitude about AOL. Coming from the days of gopher, archie, etc. I was not impressed.

However, I have to say my attitude has changed. MOST people are not techies, and AOL does make it easier. The broadband stuff that's there and coming are most impressive.

dartman
02-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Did you ever try to "uninstall" AOL? You can't do it without leaving remnants around.

Same for Yahoo.

I regard both of them as viruses.

dart

PetiteFlower
02-12-2003, 10:48 PM
I get dialup and long distance phone from AT&T for $15/month. Not bad. Used to be $7 but the promo ended. I like it because I can dl my mail to Outlook Express at home but still check it from AT&T's web page from anywhere. You don't need AOL to have "anywhere" access, most ISPs have that these days.

Weyoun6
02-13-2003, 12:04 AM
I think this is interesting. Although I am one of the AOL haters, if this brings more people to choose the ppc, thats fine with me.

I used to use AOL, but that was when it was actually good. I can understand someone getting attached to their service, especially if they have to change their email again.

malcolmsharp
02-13-2003, 12:38 AM
I have a "real" ISP, DSL, my own home network and I still keep AOL. Why? Because I occasionally enjoy using the chat rooms. Yes, I realize there are other companies that provide chat; in fact, I worked for one of them and still kept AOL.

True, there are a lot of idiots on AOL. The joke goes that when somebody leaves AOL for the "real" Internet, both places have their average IQ drop. What you forget is that there are a lot of idiots anywhere. They generally aren't too hard to spot -- just look for comments like the one I quoted above. :twisted:
&lt;/rant>

Steve

P.S. Paying only $7.95 a month helps, too. :-)

I agree with you. I have DSL, and I don't use AOL as my ISP. But I do use their content and chat service, not to mention as emergency access when needed.

People trash AOL. But no other service brings in as much content or services all tied together in an easy to use package. Even the other chat systems out there aren't as easy nor do they have as many people chatting.

Fzara
02-13-2003, 01:08 AM
Yeah...AOL Chat is just sooo important...I'm sure you all love the bots that advertise about Sex all over the place, and the moronic people who like to call others names and have "virtual" fights in the chatrooms.

Maybe one of them is you 8O

WindWalker
02-13-2003, 01:19 AM
I get dialup and long distance phone from AT&amp;T for $15/month. Not bad. Used to be $7 but the promo ended. I like it because I can dl my mail to Outlook Express at home but still check it from AT&amp;T's web page from anywhere. You don't need AOL to have "anywhere" access, most ISPs have that these days.

Unfortunately it is not true. If you are a broadband user at home, many of them do not offer dialup convenience setups.

I concur with others who have said this here.....not everyone is ready to deal with the occasional pitfalls of having a "standard" ISP, and some who do will maintain their AOL for the convenience factor. The bottom line is that sweeping generalizations about the relative intelligence of people because they use AOL are ridiculous and unnecessary.

&lt;hopping off the soapbox>

CoreyJF
02-13-2003, 02:20 AM
I aslo have DSL and a home network. I keep aol for many reasons. I enjoy the content. I have also had AOL since the beggining and want to keep my screenname and email. While I have several other email addresses, I enjoy the easy abilty to send and recieve AOL email from anywhere ( the web, my cell phone, my pocketpc.) Yes you can do that with other services, but with aol it is set up for you. No I don't browse the web through aol but I often watch there broadband content. Yes you can find a lot of content in other places and sometimes I do, but it is nice to have such a broad selection ready to go.

The Half-Ling
02-13-2003, 02:36 AM
I use AIM but not AOL and I want to sign up for this beta...how?

Thanks,
jake

Orange
02-13-2003, 03:23 AM
who needs to pay $23/month try access4cheap or access4free - $6.95 or $5.95 a month respectively

check freedomlist.com for reviews

Pony99CA
02-13-2003, 03:31 AM
who needs to pay $23/month try access4cheap or access4free - $6.95 or $5.95 a month respectively
It's called "access4free" and costs $5.95 a month? Kind of a misnomer, eh? :lol:

Steve

Pony99CA
02-13-2003, 03:41 AM
Yeah...AOL Chat is just sooo important...

I didn't realize "importance" was a criterion to enjoy something. I think Professional Wrestling is for people who find bowling too intellectual, but who am I to tell someone they shouldn't watch it? :-) I know it might be hard to believe, but different people enjoy different things.

By the way, I just checked your profile under "Interests" and saw "Games", so please enlighten us about the important games you play. :roll:

I'm sure you all love the bots that advertise about Sex all over the place, and the moronic people who like to call others names and have "virtual" fights in the chatrooms.

The bots do suck big time, but what's wrong with sex? :?: :!: :?:

As for moronic people, I enjoy teasing them. When somebody comes into our chat room and asks "Any hot ladies here?" or the like, I say "Let the games begin!" :-D

Steve

PetiteFlower
02-13-2003, 05:41 AM
I was talking about dialup ISPs, I can't afford broadband now so I haven't researched it.

Anyway I use AIM cause it's free. I went to dl AIM for PPC and guess what--it's frikkin $20! No thank you! I can't believe they have the balls to charge that much for something that's free for the desktop.

Pony99CA
02-13-2003, 09:44 AM
Anyway I use AIM cause it's free. I went to dl AIM for PPC and guess what--it's frikkin $20! No thank you! I can't believe they have the balls to charge that much for something that's free for the desktop.

I was surprised to find that out, too. It was free at one time, because I know I downloaded my copy from AOL and never paid a thing.

Steve

Steven Cedrone
02-13-2003, 04:33 PM

Before they shut this down, go here: http://ftp.newaol.com/aim-uk/wince/

The IM client is there, and it's still a free download...

Steve

Fzara
02-13-2003, 04:55 PM
Yeah...AOL Chat is just sooo important...

I didn't realize "importance" was a criterion to enjoy something. I think Professional Wrestling is for people who find bowling too intellectual, but who am I to tell someone they shouldn't watch it? :-) I know it might be hard to believe, but different people enjoy different things.

By the way, I just checked your profile under "Interests" and saw "Games", so please enlighten us about the important games you play. :roll:

I'm sure you all love the bots that advertise about Sex all over the place, and the moronic people who like to call others names and have "virtual" fights in the chatrooms.

The bots do suck big time, but what's wrong with sex? :?: :!: :?:

As for moronic people, I enjoy teasing them. When somebody comes into our chat room and asks "Any hot ladies here?" or the like, I say "Let the games begin!" :-D

Steve

Bah, snooping through my profile ehh? I think I have a fan ;)

I'm just saying that AOL Chats used to be a total meeting place, into now what is known as a sex house. Bots, and annoying people, its just too much to take for 5 minutes. I go crazy when I go in there on the AIM chats.

btw: I'll expand on what I mean about gaming-I usually like War3, NFSHP2, Max Payne, America's Army, RVS, GTA3, and some others.

Jhokur2k
02-13-2003, 09:37 PM
In case you hadn't figured out how to get onto the beta before now, if you're not a member, get the demo disc, go thru the hassle of setting it up, download the software, then cancel the account. Done.

Pony99CA
02-14-2003, 04:08 AM
I'm just saying that AOL Chats used to be a total meeting place, into now what is known as a sex house. Bots, and annoying people, its just too much to take for 5 minutes. I go crazy when I go in there on the AIM chats.

If you go into some rooms, that's the case. For example, I used to hang in the Bay Area California room, but that's now mostly high school and young college kids who type their profiles LiKe ThIs and ask questions like "ne hynas here?"

I now hang mostly in Over 30 rooms (like Bay Area CA Over 30 -- and, sadly, I more than qualify :-)). We still get morons scamming on women, but we don't put up with it. Most of the people who hang out there are regulars and act like adults. Every month a bunch of the people have a party in the real world, too.

Steve