View Full Version : Whats your experience with Dell's lead times for Axim?

spinedoc
02-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Just ordered one today, the lead time for shipping is 2/25/03, sheesh. Has Dell been good about sticking with the lead time? Or are the shipping late or early? I hope it goes out early, 2 weeks plus shipping is a looong time.

IronGeek
02-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Odd, mine was ordered around the 1st and is suppose to ship the 24th? No worse I guess than when I got my Handspring back in 1999.

WindWalker
02-11-2003, 04:08 PM
I would give Dell the benefit of the doubt. Back when they were considering entering the market, they were very very cautious about getting in, as the demand for PDAs as gone down every year for the past 3 years. When they DID decide to enter the market, they planned to do it slowly. Remember, Dell's biggest contribution to the computer industry is that they maintain very low inventories and build to order. This is a situation where they do NOT build the device they are selling, but brand it as their own. Their typical way of showing an item in production, kitting, etc., do not match with this kind of device, hence the confusion on the site that shows the order process.

Dell sold around 56,000 Axims in the 4th quarter of 2002. Think of that: it was only out at the beginning of December. They had no way of anticipating the demand, based on market figures. The entire market for PDA's dropped by 9% last year....not exactly numbers that inspire a corporation to fire up a gigantic production run, especially one used to low inventories. From discussions with our Dell rep, they had intended to give an Axim to every one of their field sales folks, but decided not to at the last minute to meet purchaser demand. They simply ran out.

I speak from the experience of ordering my Axim on January 17th, being told it would ship on February 11, and actually receiving it on February 6.

The moral of the story: Hang in there, it's coming.

spinedoc
02-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Very cool. Im extremely happy, with the 10% off the site and a 15% coupon Dell gave me for being a repeat customer the Axim X5 with the travel cable ran me $322.13 with next day shipping and tax!! Delivery date is 2/26/03 or "before", lets hope its before.

Im very excited about this and hope it is better than the e740 I returned. Anyone have recommendations for a wifi card? I will prob go with the WCF12 Linksys as I have a BEF router and have had excellent results with Linksys.

b3trio
02-11-2003, 06:16 PM
I returned my E740 for the Axim and haven't regretted it since.

The battery life when using my WCF12 Linksys card smokes the battery life of the E740 when wireless is on.

The screen is much better and you can't beat the 21 megs of user accessible flash rom.

Enjoy your Axim :D

Vincent M Ferrari
02-11-2003, 07:05 PM
I returned my E740 for the Axim and haven't regretted it since.

I've been pondering moving to the axim from the E330 based on the amazing reviews and the dual expansion. Is it really that good? I'd like to know more since you moved from a handheld similar to mine to the Axim...

Thanks