View Full Version : XDA will Bluetooth SD work?

DREAMWEAVER
02-11-2003, 09:26 AM
Can i get a bluetooth SD for the XDA and will the erricsson bluetooth headset work with it?
Regards Fred K :?:

Eciton
02-11-2003, 11:15 AM
Nope. The XDA's SD slot is not SDIO capable - memory only.

Your best bet would be to get a Jabra FreeSpeak with 2.5mm Bluetooth adaptor. This will create a Bluetooth solution through your normal headset jack. It's a nice headset too, by all accounts, and probably cheaper than most of the Ericsson headsets.

DREAMWEAVER
02-11-2003, 10:51 PM
Thanks Eciton

Eciton
02-11-2003, 10:58 PM
My pleasure :)

For general tips and FAQs, as well as decent message boards, you might want to check out two sites devoted to these devices:

http://www.xda-developers.com
and
http://pdaphonehome.com/

They'll help you lots with any future questions you may have :)

tzed9
02-24-2003, 05:36 PM
What about compact flash bluetooth for a Jornada 928?

Are there reasons I can''t use a Bluetooth headset with it? Like those mentioned above?

TZed9

Eciton
02-24-2003, 05:38 PM
CF Bluetooth will work just dandy. As to whether a headset will work with it, chances are not. Most (if not all) Bluetooth cards don't support the headset profile needed for Bluetooth headset audio. You'll be able to pair the devices fine, they just won't work for voice :). Of course, that's AFAIK.

Janak Parekh
02-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Eciton, I'm pretty sure you're right -- I don't believe the audio is rerouted onto a CF's pins, so the BT CF card wouldn't get access to the audio in the first place.

--janak

smittyofdhs
02-24-2003, 10:28 PM
Nope. The XDA's SD slot is not SDIO capable - memory only.

Your best bet would be to get a Jabra FreeSpeak with 2.5mm Bluetooth adaptor. This will create a Bluetooth solution through your normal headset jack. It's a nice headset too, by all accounts, and probably cheaper than most of the Ericsson headsets.

but the headset does not give the device Bluetooth capability other then the the communication between the headset and the adapter it comes with. From your post it seems that you are saying that the device will have BT if you are using the freespeak. Using a freespeak will give the user wireless headset ability only, via the BT in the headset. There's no solution to give the entire PPCPE Bluetooth ability.

tzed9
02-24-2003, 11:01 PM
But surely, all data is passed onto that bus? There has to be a solution, just no-one's provided it. I can't belive that the bus on the CF will be fundamentally different to that of PCI on your desktop. It has to be routing all data to it, it just has to be. I wonder then, it there are ANY compact flash cards that have some sort of audio functionality?

So, if we had IPAQ with BT jacket, could we also not use BT headset with this? Seems like a massive oversight from the PPC manufacturers I think!

TZed9

smittyofdhs
02-24-2003, 11:04 PM
So, if we had IPAQ with BT jacket, could we also not use BT headset with this? TZed9

Yes in theory this works but you need to make sure that the BT jacket incorporates the Bluetooth headset profile. If it doesn't have this ability then the headset would not work.

Also keep in mind that there are 3 different versions of the Jabra FreeSpeak. One for phones with BT already in it. One for cell phones without BT. And one for PPCPE/Smartphones, and it's the same as the cell phone model except it has been wired correctly to work with the PPCPE devices.