View Full Version : 2 Axims, 1 Computer... Will Outlook work with both??????

marchaa
02-09-2003, 06:59 PM
I bought my 400mhz Axim the day after they were announced. I switched cleanly from palm to the wonderful world of Pocket PC. I can proudly say, No regrets. Well my wife (who inherited the palm) was dazzled with the bright color display and the speed. Also with the ability to "not have to learn a new language," with the handwriting recognition. Needless to say I am seeing less and less of my Axim. So my sweet wifes birthday is coming up and she has asked for her very own Axim. So I have purchased her a 300mhz Axim for her birthday. My question is, how will I get both of them to sync with outlook without having to share appointments, contacts, ect?? I don't think there will be a problem sharing my usb cradle, will there??? Not a major problem, but one I will have to solve in the 2 to 3 weeks time it takes for our second Axim to get here. Please help :oops:

pocketpcdude1024
02-09-2003, 07:29 PM
It should, just as long as both Axims aren't connected at the same time. ActiveSync recognizes the devices, not the cradle, and syncs the handheld that it currently sees. However, I am unsure what ActiveSync would do if more than one device were present. :? Perhaps someone else on this forum can attest to what happens when two handhelds are hooled up to their computer. 8)

pocketcj7
02-09-2003, 07:37 PM
You shouldn't have any problems...my dad and i both have axims and we both sync them with our computer, but he logs onto a different user and all of his settings are kept separate from mine. if you both use the same user, you can try to create another user to sync with or maybe you can setup different accounts or something within outlook, but i bet that would be kind of hard to do. using the same cradle won't be a problem at all, its not machine specific or anything. activesync also has profiles setup for different pocket pc's so that shouldn't present a problem either, i hope that was of some help to you....

andrew

marchaa
02-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Do I need to setup different users in windows? Or is there a way to setup different users in outlook itself. I would absolutely love a way to setup different users in outlook itself without having to mess with the windows users and passwords ect.

looneytoone
02-09-2003, 11:20 PM
Great post. I will have this same issue soon so following this closely. I don't think that the question has been totally answered yet. How do you not share appts, contacts, etc.? If I had to foster a guess, I think that you and your wife would have to assign categories to each contact or to each appointment. That's my plan. Any veterans support this idea or have a better one?

pocketpcdude1024
02-09-2003, 11:26 PM
This is speculative, but it might be possible to create a new Outlook Data File and sync one Pocket PC with that, and the other with the main *.pst file. Again, I only have one Pocket PC (:oops:), so I can't test my theory.

PapaSmurfDan
02-10-2003, 02:38 AM
From what I can tell, ActiveSync uses the outlook data for the Current Logged in user. So if you are using 2k or XP and have seperate logins, you should be fine. However if you are using 9x/ME, this may be an issue. I don't see a easy way in ActiveSync right now to change which set of Personal Folders it uses, maybe this is done on a new partnership *shrug*.

-Dan