View Full Version : Running applications from ROM

hdsalinas
02-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Hi
I want to get an axim to replace my ipaq but have a couple of questions. Can you install and run application drictly to and from the ROM on the Axim, or is only practical for storing stuff?

Also, what do you have on your ROM?

Thanks!

Hector David Salinas
San Pedro Sula, Honduras

:scatter:

Sslixtis
02-09-2003, 09:28 PM
Yep, you can install and run apps directly to and from the Built-in-Storage(ROM) on the 400Mhz Axim, it has 22Mb designated for this purpose. 8)

As for what I'm running from ROM:
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Blue Point Pocket World Info
Developer One Code Wallet
Gigabyte Solutions Inc. Animated 2002 Today
Handmark Monopoly
Jamsoft Pocket Counter
Jimmy Software Dizzy
Landware Inc. OmniSolve
Macromedia Flash Player
Mavin Interactive DVDx
Resco Explorer
Resco Picture Viewer
Spb Pocket Plus
Symbol Wireless Networker
Wibble-Wobble XScaleCtrl for Axim
Whew! Didn't realize how much I had there! 8O

HTH, Cheers!

seanturner
02-09-2003, 09:52 PM
There are some reports, however, of applications running more slowly from ROM. Also, apparantly there is a set number of times you can write to your ROM. (although I could be wrong)

Sslixtis
02-09-2003, 10:04 PM
There is a set number of times you can write to any solid state memory, however, the worst I've seen any hard numbers on had a minimum of 1000 times. :wink: No way I'll have my Axim long enough to write to my ROM that many times.

As for being slower, I could be wrong here, but it seems faster than either my SD card or my CF card.

Cheers!

seanturner
02-09-2003, 10:05 PM
There is a set number of times you can write to any solid state memory, however, the worst I've seen any hard numbers on had a minimum of 1000 times. :wink: No way I'll have my Axim long enough to write to my ROM that many times.

Cheers!

Wouldn't it be fairly easy to reach this limit though by simply opening an application that writes to a config file each time it is opened?

PapaSmurfDan
02-09-2003, 10:40 PM
There are some reports, however, of applications running more slowly from ROM. Also, apparantly there is a set number of times you can write to your ROM. (although I could be wrong)

From the Intel Flash Webpage, regarding the 3v StrataFlash rom: "Proven reliability: 100,000 cycles, up to 20 years data retention". Chances are you will never hit that many cycles on your rom. And 100,000 cycles proven is quite a bit. Last time I checked, halflifes on flash roms were well over 1 million cycles (however when you lose half of the bits, its qutie useless).

For programs running slower off of the rom, they will. Reading off most flash roms can be slower than ram. However, I can not notice a difference on my Axim when A program is installed in RAM or ROM, now the SD card is a different matter.

-Dan

seanturner
02-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Hmmn... Okay, lets do some math.

So you get 100,000 writes. You open an application 5 times a day, every day. So that 20,000 days of usage. Divide that by 365 and you can write to it for 54 years.... I think that is well beyond the life of the PPC :wink:

Now the only questoin is speed...

sfrank8734
02-12-2003, 10:46 PM
Aren't cycles consider erase/write cycles? Accessing the flash wouldn't count, per se. This is how EEPROMs work, lotsa cheap ones can only be erased/written 1000 times, but once it's in there it won't decay until it's erased, regardless of how many reads.

Evee Ev
02-14-2003, 04:59 PM
i stored pocket bible to the ipaq file store and now i can't upgrade it or delete it. does anyone know how i can delete it?

Jonathon Watkins
03-29-2003, 10:59 PM
Yep, you can install and run apps directly to and from the Built-in-Storage(ROM) on the 400Mhz Axim, it has 22Mb designated for this purpose. 8)

AH, so THAT's what the Built-in-Storage is. I was wondering as it does not seem to mention it anywhere in the user manual. Well, that 22Mb will come in handy, or at least untill PPC 2003 is released & it gets used up by the OS. :roll: :lol:

kot
03-30-2003, 10:04 PM
The Dell Basic (300 Mhz) also has a available rom for this use ?
If the Advanced has 22 mb rom from 48 mb rom possible so 48 - 22 = 26
and the Dell basic has 32 mb rom so 32 - 26 = 6 mb , right ?

robert_biggs
03-31-2003, 02:54 AM
kot, the answer is yes. :)

kot
03-31-2003, 08:23 PM
Ok, and how can i install programs to the ROM ?

robert_biggs
04-01-2003, 03:15 AM
If you are installing a program that auto-installs from your PC to the Pocket PC, it will ask you if you want to install the program to the default folder. Press "No" and select "Built-in Storage" from the drop down menu. (This is also how to install a program on a storage card.) Hope that helps :D

kot
04-01-2003, 09:16 PM
The Hard Reset will remove programs installed to the ROM ?

spursdude
04-01-2003, 11:55 PM
The Hard Reset will remove programs installed to the ROM ?

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no.

blazingwolf
04-02-2003, 12:29 AM
You won't lose any programs that are stored in ROM. However, if the program put something in the registry or shortcuts placed in the start menu will be lost. This might make the program unusable.

PetiteFlower
04-02-2003, 01:13 AM
If you're going to do a hard reset on purpose, you probably want to manually uninstall the programs on the ROM first, then reinstall them after the hard reset.