View Full Version : Keeping notes and reminders on PPC... or paper?

bbell98
02-09-2003, 06:06 PM
I was just wondering... how many of you use your PocketPC as a sole means of keeping little notes and reminders?

I *try* to keep most things digital.. from voice recorded notes, to grocery lists and tasks that remind me to call old friends. But sometimes, I just like to write my tasks on some good ole' fashion paper.. :)

How about you?

Dave Beauvais
02-09-2003, 06:57 PM
I find that it's often faster to just jot down a note on paper than to get the Pocket PC out, go to the appropriate application, and start inputting. I always transfer the paper note to the PC or Pocket PC later, though. I voted for using paper to complement the Pocket PC.

--Dave

bridgecrosser
02-09-2003, 07:06 PM
Every once and a while I think about going back to paper (Usually when I need to see a month at a glance and see detail), but I can't stick with using a paper organiser again. I'm a PDA convert and don't plan on going back. The PDA far outweighs the paper in ways too numerous to list here!

vincentsiaw
02-09-2003, 07:50 PM
The main reason i buy a pda is becuase i don't want to write notes in a gum packaging or KFC tissue paper ever again :!:

EvilOne
02-09-2003, 08:00 PM
I use my PDA only. It is always with me, unlike paper which seems hard to find most of the times when I want to jot something down for later.

Rirath
02-09-2003, 08:21 PM
I'm with these three, always PPC. Heck, I never even have paper. If I did, I'd never have a pen.

Janak Parekh
02-09-2003, 09:28 PM
Heck, I never even have paper. If I did, I'd never have a pen.
Same here. I used to carry a pen around, but it's too annoying, and I can usually fire up my Pocket PC and switch to notes within a second or two.

--janak

seanturner
02-09-2003, 09:48 PM
Yeah I carry around some Sensa pens (and one which has a built in stylus) www.sensability.net ; however, I only use the pens to do things like write checks. Everything else, I do on my PPC with my Targus folding keyboard, both of which go everywhere with me. (well, maybe not the keyboard).

As a matter of fact, I have been carrying my iPaq around for so long in my right pants pocket that I don't feel quite right if its not in there. Its as if I can feel a part of me is missing...

Janak Parekh
02-09-2003, 09:59 PM
As a matter of fact, I have been carrying my iPaq around for so long in my right pants pocket that I don't feel quite right if its not in there. Its as if I can feel a part of me is missing...
Same here! :D I'm so used to "phone, wallet" in left, "iPaq, keys" in right, such that any permutation almost makes me off-balance. :lol:

--janak

seanturner
02-09-2003, 10:02 PM
"iPaq, keys" in right
--janak

Ouch, I carry my baby alone in my pocket-- too scared that those sharp evil keys and coins will scratch my beloved. Although I probably should invest in a better case.

Stik
02-09-2003, 10:40 PM
I'm a horticulturist. In the ' old days ' I used to use paper notes for everything. Since discovering PPC, ( Jornada 568 ) I now record the plant variety and date the seed was sown, flats ( plants ) derived from that seeding, and, at the end of the season, left over plant material so I can adjust the amount of seed sown the following year. Real world benefits and works great!

Now I don't need to decipher my own scribbling year after year and do my part to save the trees. :lol:

I also never miss appointments or meetings anymore. Wasn't always the case when I wrote things down on paper and misplaced or forgot about 'em. :roll:

dean_shan
02-09-2003, 11:21 PM
I use a both paper and PPC. It depends on where I am and if I have paper around. I prefer to jot notes on the PPC because I have a tendency to just put paper notes in my pocket and forget about until I feel the pulpy mess after I wash my pants. :oops:

seanturner
02-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Not to mention the fact that with hte PPC your notes are always easy to get to and send to other people/print more copies.

Steven Cedrone
02-09-2003, 11:46 PM
I'm a horticulturist...<snip>...do my part to save the trees.

The best argument for any PDA, AFAIC...But why haven't you been using them for longer (given you profession)??? :wink:

Steve

Stik
02-10-2003, 12:12 AM
The best argument for any PDA, AFAIC...But why haven't you been using them for longer (given you profession)??? :wink:

Steve

Thats an easy one Steve. I'm an OLD ' farmer' used to his old ways. Heck, I didn't even have a home computer until 1999! :roll:

Then, at a barcode product show, I met a PPC evangelist by the name of John Doub of Socket Communications, who convinced me that the PPC was the way to go in conducting inventory control in my business, amongst other ROI benefits. :idea:

I never looked back and am thankful to the man to this day. :D

Now, if they'd only make a scoop designed PPC, I could also use it for filling pots with soil. :P

Steven Cedrone
02-10-2003, 12:41 AM
I never looked back and am thankful to the man to this day. :D

Great story!!!, I guess we ahould all be thankful for people like him...Who knows, the more people use PDA's, the more we save trees for our children...

No "Silent Running" in our future... :wink:

Steve

Janak Parekh
02-10-2003, 12:45 AM
"iPaq, keys" in right
--janak

Ouch, I carry my baby alone in my pocket-- too scared that those sharp evil keys and coins will scratch my beloved. Although I probably should invest in a better case.
No, no, I don't use a regular keyring -- I use one of those buttoned "cases" where the keys hang from the top. Believe me, I like to protect my iPaq too. :)

--janak

szamot
02-10-2003, 12:49 AM
digital notes are the best thing going, why would anyone use anything else is beyond me.

seanturner
02-10-2003, 01:26 AM
I'm a horticulturist...<snip>...do my part to save the trees.

Steve

I would think though that the cost of manufacturing the PDA with all the chemicals used would actaully be more harmfull to the environment than paper...

seanturner
02-10-2003, 01:33 AM
I remember walking down the street once, making a voice recording on my iPaq when my cell phone rang. I kept the iPaq in my left hand and answered the call in my right hand. At the end of hte call, I realized that my iPaq wasn't in my pocket and paniced thinking someone had pick pocketed me... Took me a couple of seconds to check my hand. :oops:

Stik
02-10-2003, 01:33 AM
I would think though that the cost of manufacturing the PDA with all the chemicals used would actaully be more harmfull to the environment than paper...

seanturner,

Not to sidetrack this thread, but if one only knew the chemicals it takes to make paper....

http://www.thechemco.com/Paper.html

seanturner
02-10-2003, 01:35 AM

seanturner,

Not to sidetrack this thread, but if one only knew the chemicals it takes to make paper....

http://www.thechemco.com/Paper.html

But what about the chemicals used in making plastic, in smelting metal, in imprinting chips and circut boards? What about the fumes from melting sodder?

And when you think about it, almost all PDA's come with glossed, printed, paper manuals. Plus the fact that they consume power which also contributes (albiet quite negligably) to power usage.

When you think about all that must go in to every part of the PDA i'm pretty sure that its got to be more detrimental to the environment than a few reams of paper...

Kati Compton
02-10-2003, 01:49 AM
But what about the chemicals used in making plastic, in smelting metal, in imprinting chips and circut boards? What about the fumes from melting sodder?

And when you think about it, almost all PDA's come with glossed, printed, paper manuals. Plus the fact that they consume power which also contributes (albiet quite negligably) to power usage.

When you think about all that must go in to every part of the PDA i'm pretty sure that its got to be more detrimental to the environment than a few reams of paper...

Plus, the people completely replacing paper are probably the ones getting a new PDA every year or two...

seanturner
02-10-2003, 02:07 AM
Plus, the people completely replacing paper are probably the ones getting a new PDA every year or two...

Not to mention the fact that it is currently impossible to completely erase paper. (Do you write checks? Use a credit card and have to sign recepts? Tip people?)

Dave Beauvais
02-10-2003, 05:44 AM
Year? :D

Janak Parekh
02-10-2003, 06:29 AM
At the end of hte call, I realized that my iPaq wasn't in my pocket and paniced thinking someone had pick pocketed me... Took me a couple of seconds to check my hand. :oops:
That's happened to me on several occasions: with my wallet, my keys, and my iPaq, but of course the latter was the most heartache-inducing. :oops: ;)

You're assuming, though, that one throws out the old unit. All of my old units have been given new homes. :)

--janak

topps
02-10-2003, 08:44 AM
Same here! :D I'm so used to "phone, wallet" in left, "iPaq, keys" in right, such that any permutation almost makes me off-balance. :lol:

--janak

My wallet is down to iPAQ, one credit card and driver's licence...and I'm working on the RCMP to accept a watermarked image of that. The rest is all in eWallet.

PetiteFlower
02-10-2003, 08:55 PM
I don't think we could really guess about how much pollution is produced in the manufacturing of a PDA....unless maybe you work for a PDA factory we don't have enough knowledge about the process. Considering the size of a PDA, I don't think it's a lot, but I'd be interested in seeing numbers if anyone comes across them.

Sticky notes are important for things at work that I need to look at constantly--reminders about process etc, or phone numbers that I don't want to have to look up in the PDA. But all my other notes, stuff I want to have with me no matter where I am, stuff that I need to be reminded about, etc, that all goes on the PDA. I forget a lot less now though!

xendula
02-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Think of all the plastic pens and the ink.. aside from just the paper. The pollution caused to transport them... and so on and so on...

My ppc completely changed my writing experience. Never use paper any more. For one, I could never read my own writing :oops: but my ppc can, and second: I could never find my notes anywhere.
AND I reduced the printing of documents dramatically, since I can just carry them around with me without wasting electricity, ink and paper!