View Full Version : Only CF WiFi cards from Dell work on the Axim? Say it ain't so!

stephen68
02-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Here is an interesting tidbit of info I would love to get some commentary on.

I bought a Netgear CF wifi card for my Axim and signed up for a TMobile account. To my chagrin the service almost never worked. TMobile told me there was a connectivity problem specific to PDA's and I would be worked out by the end of the month (January). In the meantime I just had to call them from the location, provide my MAC address, and I would get hooked up. (Which is ridiculous)

I did so but still no luck. Then the operator told me that Dell Axim's "seemed only to like wifi cards from Dell." He indicated that there was somethin "proprietary" in the Axim's that allowed only Dell products to work. He stared that when people used the Dell supplied cards the system worked well. He stated TMobile was hoping Dell would issue a patch so the system could work!

So my question is - is there any merit to what this guy is saying? It sounds like TMobile passing the buck but has anyone else encountered this? Thanks in advance.

butch
02-09-2003, 06:02 PM
I use my LinkSys WCF11 in my sister Axim X5 without a problem on my home WLAN.

Kevin C. Tofel
02-09-2003, 06:26 PM
I have a Netgear CF 802.11b card (the MA701) that I use with my Axim A5 on a daily basis....no issues whatsoever. It connects my Axim flawlessly to my wireless Netgear router (MR314).

I'm a little confused by the description of the problem.....what does the the Axim have to do with your TMobile account and how are you attempting to use the WiFi card in your Axim? Are you trying to connect to a home WiFi LAN or something else?

KCT

Nikhil
02-09-2003, 06:37 PM
I use my Symbol Wireless Networker in my Dell without problem.

WindWalker
02-09-2003, 06:42 PM
I guess what it comes down to is hardly any company does this anymore, at least from a networking standpoint. This kind of closed access thinking tends to turn people off when it comes to technology. People want to use whatever they choose in their equipment.

I do understand that many times, equipment from one vendor will perform better together, but to entirely exclude another manufacturer is not a wise choice.

Bob Anderson
02-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Sounds to me like the staff at TMobile have a bit of a problem... that is they blame other "things" to cover either a) their lack of understanding of the situation, or b) problems with their own system that no one can figure out!

I'd try finding a friend that has an 802.11b network around town, and try using your Axim and MA701 card to access the network. If it works, and is steady, then you can clearly say the problem is with TMobile and not your Dell/Netgear combination.

sabesh
02-09-2003, 07:19 PM
Ya know ... Dell wi-fi cards ain't bad. I have one and it's great. Got low power management etc.

Cheers,

Sabesh.

TECHIUM
02-09-2003, 08:05 PM
I bought a Netgear CF wifi card for my Axim and signed up for a TMobile account.

I don't think you've given us enough info to diagnose the problem. First off, T-Mobile doesn't offer a mobile plan over 802.11b unless you're in a Starbucks, which teamed up with T-Mobile. Secondly, the Dell works just fine with a non-Dell branded wifi card. Several of my clients have purchased them, along with NetGear CF cards and have had no issues. Third, it's true that if you are in a wifi area that controls access via MAC addresses that you'd have to contact whoever provides that service with your MAC address if you hope to get on legitimately. There are other means but you should go that route since you're paying for this type of access.

lmtuxinc
02-09-2003, 08:35 PM
I have a Linksys WCF12 and it works great.

KiLLiN-TiMe
02-09-2003, 10:39 PM
ive got a netgear MA701 wifi card and it works great with my dell. I get much more range than my friends toshiba with the built in wifi

Pat Logsdon
02-10-2003, 05:41 AM
Stephen68, I think I have the same problem you do - I've tried numerous times to connect to the Tmobile server at Starbucks via my Axim w/Socket card, and I almost never have success. At most, I'll get 5 minutes worth of time, and then it'll take me back to the sign-in page and block any further access.

When that happens, I usually can't even get the 5 minutes for another 24 hours. Extremely annoying, and the Tmobile people can't seem to get it fixed. I too have had them tell me to call them when the problem happens and have them "reset" something, but since I don't have a cellphone, this is not a good option.

Your comment about them fixing the problem by the end of January is interesting - did they say what they were fixing, or why it's not fixed yet (since January is now over?) :roll:

tnantz
02-10-2003, 05:18 PM
Well, I have a D-Link CF Card in my Axim, and I can connect to the various wireless networks on campus without any problem.

Speaking of T-Mobile and the Starbuck's fiasco, check this out:http://www.3nw.com/pda/wireless/802_11b_wireless_networking_cheap_wireless_gateways_files/wifi_hot_spots.htm

PetiteFlower
02-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Sounds like the problem is with T-Mobile. Now you just have to make enough noise that they fix it for you and stop blaming the problem on a nonexistent incompatibility.

dbman
02-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Sorry, but there are enough references to Wi-Fi success in other threads to make this thread and its title seem rather silly!

blueshirt80
02-10-2003, 10:44 PM
I have a D-Link CF (DCF-650W) car and it works great with a linksys router. Forget about the post by the previous member. We are here to help with any question someone might have about their Pocket PC. That is why we have these forums. :D