View Full Version : Question for HP1910 users

Bloop
02-09-2003, 08:17 AM
How long does your battery last on the average and are you using it for?

newst
02-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Surprisingly, this has become a complicated question.

With the new overclocking/underclocking software available the charge life can vary greatly. Overclocking to 300mhz and running games with the backlight can run the charge down in 3 hours or even less.

Underclocking to 100mhz, dropping the backlight to 25%, turning off the IR reception and doing low energy tasks like PIM and document handling can stretch a charge to over 6 hours.

While I use a Toshiba e740 for heavy duty work-it replaced my laptop when I travel on business-my 1910 is my every day machine. I take it everywhere and use it constantly. It has never given me a low battery warning (now where did I put that piece of wood).

If you are careful with battery management the small 900mah battery is not a problem.

SN

sdcromer
02-09-2003, 11:35 PM
About 4.5 hours. If I do not read books, I can go for 3-4 days between recharging.

i_spock
02-10-2003, 03:59 AM
Since I began to use ClearSpeed to run at 300 MHz I've noticed a decline in how long I can go on a single charge. I'm not sure if I can attribute this soley to ClearSpeed though so let me know what you all think.

Before ClearSpeed, when my battery was at 100%, my battery monitor software would report 4.5 hours available on a single charge. Now it reports about 3:15. I left the unit charging all night last night and this morning it reported 3:21 remaining.

The battery monitor seems accurate- when I get to about 1.5 hours remaining the OS's battery indicator shows around 50%. That makes me tend to trust what the battery monitor is telling me.

I use the 1910 for very light gaming, mostly solitaire and a few of the KSE card and dice games. Nothing graphics-intensive at all. I use PI for PIM though, and I do a lot of Mazingo and Avantgo with the files being stored on an SD card, so there is a lot of I/O. I usually run with the backlight at it's lowest setting.

I suppose I should turn off clearspeed for a while and see if it makes any difference, huh? :lol: Anyone else noticing that much of a decrease in battery life after running a speed-stepping utility?

Janak Parekh
02-10-2003, 04:17 AM
Since I began to use ClearSpeed to run at 300 MHz I've noticed a decline in how long I can go on a single charge. I'm not sure if I can attribute this soley to ClearSpeed though so let me know what you all think.
Doesn't surprise me at all. The processor, by nature, is going to use quite a bit more power at higher clock speeds. That's the whole point of scaling. :)

--janak