View Full Version : 1 GB CF for $140!

jet8810
02-08-2003, 04:50 AM
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=14285491a54939f128792bcc6bd56994&postid=457784#post457784

Check it out! Hurry, it ends tommorrow! Yes, I bought one of these tonight...lol :). $75 rebate, $10 instant off of $225 normal price brings it to $140. Codes and all are at that brighthand link. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kati Compton
02-08-2003, 04:59 AM
Remember that I think that Amazon is starting to charge sales tax though for net purchases...

jet8810
02-08-2003, 05:03 AM
they didn't charge me sales tax.... :wink:

ultimate_ed
02-08-2003, 04:58 PM
I think, for now, the sales tax only applies to affiliate type stores like Toys R Us and Borders that have a physical presence in your state.

But, have no fear, the government will find a way to get in on this action and kill the golden goose.

Scoundrel
02-10-2003, 01:12 PM
The day they start charging sales tax online for out-of-state purchases is the last day I shop online. I think it will be the same for lots of other people. The shipping and handling charges are horrible enough as it is.. :?

TheBacklash
02-10-2003, 07:21 PM
yes they DO charge sales tax...

charged me for my viking 512mb CF card i just ordered last week..

BTW: I remember something about a sales tax proposed law towards online retailers, that has been put aside ever since online retailers showed up online... It was to die out last year and start forcing online retailers to charge sales tax, but our lovely stalled Congress never did anything about it, so YES sales tax can be added to online sales.

proposed ban on online sales tax (http://www.ecommercetimes.com/perl/story/11590.html)

The present ban will expire on October 21st, although it appears likely that Congress will extend the ban for another five years, Giga Information Group analyst Jim Grady told NewsFactor Network.

As far as I know, congress let it slide... meaning that online retailers must now collect sales tax.

etron
02-10-2003, 08:00 PM
check this article (http://news.com.com/2100-1017-983636.html) out for some more info regarding the current tax situation with online retailers.

I personally will stop buying online too, as someone mentioned before, the shipping and handling charges are too much as they are (not even including the delay of having to wait for the product and hassle of returning it if something is wrong), sales tax will be an incentive for me to stop buying online.

AndrewLubinus89
02-11-2003, 07:54 AM
Remember that I think that Amazon is starting to charge sales tax though for net purchases...
I don't know if I would stop completely if Amazon started taxing us. But how much do you think the tax is? 5-10% :-S

Kati Compton
02-12-2003, 04:21 AM
I thought the retailers were basically supposed to charge whatever your local tax is.

TheBacklash
02-12-2003, 08:27 AM
check this article (http://news.com.com/2100-1017-983636.html) out for some more info regarding the current tax situation with online retailers.

I personally will stop buying online too, as someone mentioned before, the shipping and handling charges are too much as they are (not even including the delay of having to wait for the product and hassle of returning it if something is wrong), sales tax will be an incentive for me to stop buying online.

Thats what brick and mortar retailers WANT you to do.

Which will mean pretty much goodbye to good deals. Local price fixing? I can see that...

Even with the Tax and S&H added to the order, no store in town can even come close to the price.
So I have to wait 2-3 days... $20 is $20. And sometimes that $20 is more like $50+

The same 512mb CF card at Compusa... is $90 more than I paid online shipped to my door.

Besides most times you can get deals on the shipping...

We ordered 10 new computers from dell last year... we bought them without monitors, shipping on monitors is flat out deadly. We told the Dell Rep that was the reason.... he beat the locals price and shipped a pallet of 10 17" monitors to our office door for a penny. Even with charging us Tax, we came out ahead.

Mike Temporale
02-12-2003, 01:46 PM
I thought the retailers were basically supposed to charge whatever your local tax is.

Well, each state would like this, it's not the case. If the corporation does not have a office/store in a state then they would not be setup to remit that states taxes.

So companies like Best Buy have a store in every state. Therefore no matter when you buy online from best buy (and live in the US) you'll be charged tax. Amazon does not have stores/offices in many states. So only the people that live in a state where Amazon has a location would be charged local taxes.