View Full Version : Palm and Sony Dropping Like Flies (Prices, of course)

Bosco
02-08-2003, 12:39 AM
Palm and Sony have lowered prices on almost their entire line of products.

Palm:
M130 - $199
M515 - $299
Tungsten|T - $399

The Tungsten|W is supposed to be coming soon.

Sony:
SL10 - $129
SJ20 - $149
SJ30 - $219 *This is a complete shock to me. I actually think this is a deal as good as the Axim Basic, except this one is even cheaper upfront.*
T665c - $299

The SJ33, TG50, and NZ90 are supposed to be coming soon.

Well anyway, is this making you rethink your most recent purchase? I want to hear what some PPC aficionados think about the new prices.

PapaSmurfDan
02-08-2003, 01:29 AM
Well anyway, is this making you rethink your most recent purchase? I want to hear what some PPC aficionados think about the new prices.

Nope, becuase not a single model there was on my Palm list when I was shopping for PDA's. The SJ20 may be easier to recommend, but still won't recommend it after seeing its bad screen. The SJ30 wouldn't be a bad color palm for someone though.

However the T|T is now at a price where it should of been released at. The T|T is one of the few Palms I can recommend. I still think the T|T should cost about $300.

I liked the NZ70 but due to the crippled CF slot, weakish battery life (In reality it was no worse than the other PPC's I was looking at),10mb of useable ram, overpriced WiFi card, and the fact that big MS sticks will be insanely overpriced convinced to get the Dell. I havn't looked back. I love my Axim :)

The NZ90 just makes me want to spend the 400 that I may of saved (if I even wanted to think about getting a NZ90) and get a nice 3 or 4 megapixel camera. Also from the Brighthand review, it appears that the NZ90 is big and doesn't have the runtime to be a useful PDA nor digital camera. If I wanted device apporching the size of a Newton, I would buy a used MP2100. Honestly, I think the NZ90 is going to be a huge flop at $800.

-Dan

dean_shan
02-08-2003, 02:01 AM
Honestly, I think the NZ90 is going to be a huge flop at $800.

I agree. A 2MP camera would be nice to have but I'll just settle for the Pretec 1.3 MP CF camera.

Janak Parekh
02-08-2003, 02:19 AM
I agree. A 2MP camera would be nice to have but I'll just settle for the Pretec 1.3 MP CF camera.
... Or just get a separate camera, like the Casio Exilim (http://www.casio.com/exilim). Carrying both a Pocket PC and this camera is more compact than an NZ90, and since it uses SD, you can usually put it in your Pocket PC. Plus the battery life on camera use is much better. The NZ90 is an interesting unit, but I don't see it as practical for most people.

--janak

Frankie
02-08-2003, 02:33 AM
It didnt make me rethink it, but i am proud of palm for finally bringing the prices down again...

i hate to see PPC's cheaper than palms when Palms were known for their good pricing....

dean_shan
02-08-2003, 05:36 AM
... Or just get a separate camera, like the Casio Exilim (http://www.casio.com/exilim). Carrying both a Pocket PC and this camera is more compact than an NZ90, and since it uses SD, you can usually put it in your Pocket PC. Plus the battery life on camera use is much better. The NZ90 is an interesting unit, but I don't see it as practical for most people.

--janak

I was meaning a 2MP cam for my PPC. I would not want a brick like the NZ90. I have never been too fond of the clam-shell design PDAs. I like my handheld to be a solid, i've use the clam shell clie in stores and it seems too flimsy for me to use. I feels like the screen is gonna snap off.

Thanks for the camera tip anyway :D

JA
02-08-2003, 05:52 AM
I want to hear what some PPC aficionados think about the new prices.

I think Palm is desperate!

How much are they paying you to hang out at Pocket PC Thoughts???

JA

Janak Parekh
02-08-2003, 06:38 AM
I was meaning a 2MP cam for my PPC.
I know. :) My point is, it's too early to expect a compelling integration between PDA and camera. Get them separate for now - you won't regret it. :)

--janak

Weyoun6
02-08-2003, 06:57 AM
This didnt change my mind at all. Although I think its great that palm lowered their prices, the selling point is not the main issue in my selection of a pda, especially now. I do however think its great that the T|T is at a decent price.

Bosco
02-08-2003, 06:32 PM
I want to hear what some PPC aficionados think about the new prices.
I think Palm is desperate!
How much are they paying you to hang out at Pocket PC Thoughts???

Right... desperate. So whenever a company drops prices they're desperate? Take a marketing course. Sheesh.

Oh, and yeah, they pay me LOADS of money to post 30 times a month at PPCT. Loads. The green is just coming in by the truckload. :roll:

Anyway, I didn't think too much of the prices until I saw the big two that really stand out: the SJ30 at $219 and the T|T at $399. Very good prices! It made me think twice if I should have held out for the T|T instead of buying the NX, but I'm on solid ground... I really like Sony. And the SJ30 directly being compared with the Axim, the lowest priced PPC, which is actually losing money on each sale... I don't think Palm is the desperate one.

Steven Cedrone
02-08-2003, 09:53 PM
I can see where this is headed... :roll:

Thread locked...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator