View Full Version : Difference between OEM packaging and Retial Packaging

eustts
02-07-2003, 06:23 PM
I want to upgrade windows to XP pro.

What is the difference between retail and OEM packaging for XP.

Are the retail and OEM SW packages the same thing, but the OEM version does not come with support options from Microsoft?

There is a huge price difference between the two... :D

aroma
02-07-2003, 07:08 PM
Not sure what this has to do with Pocket PC software, but to answer your question, the OEM version is intended to be purchase by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (hence, OEM), who has actually manufactured the PC for resale. Any respectable resaler will not sale and end user an OEM version of the software. That is illegal. Unless you are a PC manufacturer, the only LEGAL version you can purchase is the retail version.

Kati Compton
02-07-2003, 07:16 PM
As for functional difference, you may be able to move a retail box of XP to a new computer (provided you remove it from the old one), but the OEM version is locked to the machine you bought it with.

aroma
02-07-2003, 08:43 PM
Yes, this is true. When you do purchase a PC with an OEM version of software: Windows, Office, etc... that software is "tied" to that machine (No technically, but legally) and cannot be legally installed on any other machines. Even if that machine blows up, you cannot legally install the OEM software on any other machine. I was in a MS seminar one time where a user was trying to get the MS rep to explain exactly what constituted the "same" machine.... "What if I replace the HD... What if I replace the motherboard... What if I replace the ???.... is it still the same machine?" It was quite humorous. So, in other words, it's "imposible" to UPGRADE to an OEM version of a product, since an OEM version can only be on a new PC. A retail version could legally be moved from one machine to another, however with the new registation systems in Win XP and Office XP, you'll have the joy of trying to convince MS why you are installing a 2nd time... :)

Steven Cedrone
02-08-2003, 05:46 AM
Not sure what this has to do with Pocket PC software

Thread moved...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator