View Full Version : Dell Axim Snap-on Keyboard

Solom01
02-07-2003, 05:14 PM
I'm using the Dell Axim Snap-on (not folding) keyboard and, although it claims in the manual that keyboard shortcuts can be set up, I haven't been able to do so. (If you follow the instructions in the manual there is no snap-on keyboard setting in the setting screen). I assume this feature is just not implemented, but I was wondering if anyone else has this keyboard and if they managed to access the shortcut menu. Thanks.

takotchi
02-08-2003, 06:29 AM
O_O

Where did you get that!? I've been waiting forever for it, and it's not on Dell's site... v_v

TheBacklash
02-08-2003, 08:26 AM
O_O

Where did you get that!? I've been waiting forever for it, and it's not on Dell's site... v_v

I was going to say yes it is... But I can't find it now. :?

I saw it there the other day, almost bought it. something like $49.99 or $59.99
Know of a few people that have it now, just waiting to make sure there is no bugs though before I get mine.

Raynne
02-08-2003, 05:38 PM
If you look under the Higher Education and sort by Dell products you should see it. It is $49. You can write the part number down and then call and order it. That is what I did.

looneytoone
02-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Sorry to the original post person. Maybe in two weeks, I can help. Placing an order
http://rcommerce.us.dell.com/rcomm/cat_dellwareresults.asp?mfg_product_id=124792&search_type=3&search_page=cat_dellware.asp

Solom01
02-09-2003, 03:00 PM
No problem, but after using this keyboard for about a week here are some thoughts:

(1) I ordered it on the Dell phone line. It is only available in the education section of their web site.
(2) Although the sales person told me that it was back ordered until about the end of February, I got it in about 4 days.
(3) You get the snap-on keyboard and a CD with version 1.2 of the driver. This is the exact same driver that it posted on Dell's site for this keyboard.
(4) It is a fairly generic snap-on which clips to the bottom of the unit. The only settings (accessed on the program screen installed by the driver) are repeat rate, sound on-off, and repeat delay). Although the manual clearly shows a keyboard hot-key setting and how to install them, that tab is NOT available on the current driver, so it is impossible to install hotkeys. For me, this is a huge problem since you can only switch from one program to the other (i.e., Word to Pocket ie) by using your stylus.
(5) Besides the lack of hotkeys, the keyboard covers up the entire bottom of the unit with no pass-throughs, so you can not charge the unit or synch in any way while the unit is connected (not a big problem for me since I use a WiFi card, but just something to know).
(6) Although Dell Customer Service was very helpful, their tech support on this was a laugh. When I called PDA tech support about the hotkey problem the tech actually claimed that Dell did not make a snap-on keyboard for the Axim (even though I kept telling them that I had the product) and kept claiming that I had purchased their Palm snap-on keyboard. I finally emailed the tech the Dell web page showing the product and he then started making some insane suggestions as to how to get the Hotkeys, to make a long story short this tech did not seem to have the slightest idea of what Dell sells, much less how to use a pocketpc. If you buy this product I would not count on tech support.