View Full Version : what is the newer 5455?

starstreak
02-07-2003, 08:50 AM
I know this was in another topic but I can't find it now. What is the new 5455 with the updated ROM? I mean, what do I look for on the outside of the box? My 5455 has the pocketphone edition sticker on the unit.(which I was told was the new one) and now I hear there is an updated rom for wifi and such, but the sticker on the unit says pocketpc opnly? Help please as I may need to exchange my unit out as it seems to be randomly hard restting now.

Janak Parekh
02-07-2003, 04:54 PM
Hmm, something is wrong here.

There's no "phone edition" of the 5450/5455 just yet.

I'm also pretty sure there is no new ROM just yet.

The 5455 is basically a consumer SKU for the 5450... it might not have a cradle, from what I've heard, but that's about it.

--janak

Pony99CA
02-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Hmm, something is wrong here.

There's no "phone edition" of the 5450/5455 just yet.

True, but he said his box has a sticker saying "pocketphone" on it. :?: Is there some VOIP software included with some 5450 models?

Steve

Eitel
02-07-2003, 07:20 PM
There's no differnece. HP was thinking ahead again. Some 545x came with the Pocket PC 2002 Phone Ed. sticker because HP was purchasing that license with the 56xx in mind. The OS is still 2002 Premium. Now that the 56xx is no longer coming out, they stoped that and the 545x now comes with the Premium sticker.

Pony99CA
02-07-2003, 08:40 PM
There's no differnece. HP was thinking ahead again. Some 545x came with the Pocket PC 2002 Phone Ed. sticker because HP was purchasing that license with the 56xx in mind. The OS is still 2002 Premium. Now that the 56xx is no longer coming out, they stoped that and the 545x now comes with the Premium sticker.
That sticker sounds like false advertising, then. If the box says you get Pocket PC Phone Edition, but you don't, that almost sounds like the old Jornadas supposedly having 16-bit color when they only had 12-bit color.

I don't know if you could really do much more with the Phone Edition if you didn't have the cellular radio, of course.

Steve

starstreak
02-07-2003, 09:27 PM
well, on the box it never said anything about it being a phone edition so thats not the part I was worried about. but someone said somewhere that a newer wifi bios is out with the new version so I was looking for that one.

Eitel
02-08-2003, 03:29 AM
That sticker sounds like false advertising, then. If the box says you get Pocket PC Phone Edition, but you don't, that almost sounds like the old Jornadas supposedly having 16-bit color when they only had 12-bit color.

I don't know if you could really do much more with the Phone Edition if you didn't have the cellular radio, of course.

Steve

Not really. HP never said that the 5455 comes with the Phone Ed. OS. Is all part of the MS licensing program. Enterprise companies can buy, let's say a license of of WinXP, but them use Win2k.

HP thought is was going to be easier at the end just to buy all the licenses Phone Ed. but then just use Premium.

Pony99CA
02-08-2003, 08:57 AM
Not really. HP never said that the 5455 comes with the Phone Ed. OS. Is all part of the MS licensing program. Enterprise companies can buy, let's say a license of of WinXP, but them use Win2k.

It was you that said the 5450 boxes had "Pocket PC Phone Edition" stickers on them, wasn't it? If I saw that sticker, I would expect that device to have Pocket PC Phone Edition installed. I don't care what license HP bought, only what's installed on my device.

If you were looking at a laptop computer that said Windows XP Pro on a sticker, but, when you got it home, you found that it only had Windows XP Home installed, wouldn't you feel cheated?

Steve

starstreak
02-08-2003, 09:15 AM
I would be mad if the box that I paid for said I had a phone edition and it didn't. but in this case, its just a miss lable on the phone.

Pony99CA
02-08-2003, 01:31 PM
I would be mad if the box that I paid for said I had a phone edition and it didn't. but in this case, its just a miss lable on the phone.
What "phone"? It's an iPAQ 5450, not a phone.

I think I finally understand, though. The sticker was on the iPAQ inside the box, not on the box itself. Do I finally have it right? :-)

Steve

starstreak
02-08-2003, 02:57 PM
Yes. The sticker is on the unit. Not on the box. Kinda like getting a manual for a 4 door car with your 2 door. Well not really but I think you get it. You couldn't demand a 4-door cuz the manual said it was one. hehe

Eitel
02-08-2003, 03:34 PM

It was you that said the 5450 boxes had "Pocket PC Phone Edition" stickers on them, wasn't it? If I saw that sticker, I would expect that device to have Pocket PC Phone Edition installed. I don't care what license HP bought, only what's installed on my device.

If you were looking at a laptop computer that said Windows XP Pro on a sticker, but, when you got it home, you found that it only had Windows XP Home installed, wouldn't you feel cheated?

Steve

I never said that the BOXES had that sticker. The sticker is on the PDA itself.

Pony99CA
02-08-2003, 04:30 PM
I never said that the BOXES had that sticker. The sticker is on the PDA itself.
True, you weren't clear exactly where the stickers were, so I assumed that my previous comment about them being on the boxes was correct.

However, as you may have seen in my previous post, I finally figured out that the stickers were on the iPAQ, not the boxes. I think I've finally got it all straight. :-)

Steve