View Full Version : BSQUARE Working to Get Handheld Released - COMMENTS

heov
02-07-2003, 03:04 AM
looks cool... but imo, it's not very stylish... it's one of those devices that is too big for your pocket but too small to be used as a laptop replacement... this is a breifcase device in my book.

OFF TOPIC: who is "Sponsor"... is this like an advertisement or something or is it just another team member who is posting named "Sponsor"? I'm confused :?

Foo Fighter
02-07-2003, 03:23 AM
I hope we'll see more XP-like UI elements built into PPC 2003..or whatever it is to be named.

Jason Dunn
02-07-2003, 03:41 AM
OFF TOPIC: who is "Sponsor"...

No, that would be me...I was working on a new sponsored article, but I didn't log out before I started posting again. :oops: I'll try to fix it...

jet8810
02-07-2003, 03:43 AM
I wonder how much this will cost! I am really anxious to find that out. Does it run Windows XP, Symbian...what? That is a HUGE factor for me. I would love to know what OS it runs and other hardware specs such as memory, card slots, ect. This might be my next unit if the specs and OS is right!

UPDATE: OK...reading the article helps...heh. CE.net huh? I wonder how good this OS is going to be. Sounds great! The specs are nice. Now...is the price right? Also, could you buy a version WITHOUT GSM/GPRS and with integrated WiFi maybe? THAT I would buy in a heartbeat!

Marcel_Proust
02-07-2003, 03:45 AM
I wonder how much this will cost! I am really anxious to find that out. Does it run Windows XP, Symbian...what? That is a HUGE factor for me. I would love to know what OS it runs and other hardware specs such as memory, card slots, ect. This might be my next unit if the specs and OS is right!

well i think it runs ce.net
my only problem is my past experience with bsquare. they've abandoned many of their software customers in the past. not a good history. of course the same can be said of hp and their jornada hpc line.

Reinaldo
02-07-2003, 03:47 AM
So it finally came out. The end of Pocket PC 2002 has come. I was afraid of this, and I hope that our devices are upgradable. If not, then this device will be mine. One thing I hate Microsoft for is releasing something new every year, and one thing I love Microsoft for is releasing something new every year. BTW, remenber that they are working on the device, which doesn't mean that the hardware will look like this. At least I hope it won't look like this.

ThomasC22
02-07-2003, 03:52 AM
Hey Heov, your a front page poster now :)

heov
02-07-2003, 03:53 AM
So it finally came out. The end of Pocket PC 2002 has come. I was afraid of this, and I hope that our devices are upgradable. If not, then this device will be mine. One thing I hate Microsoft for is releasing something new every year, and one thing I love Microsoft for is releasing something new every year. BTW, remenber that they are working on the device, which doesn't mean that the hardware will look like this. At least I hope it won't look like this.

uh... how is this the end of PPC 2k2? This isn't even a PPC :?
Pocket PC is a platform designed by ms- has specific hardware requirements, and runs the ppc shell/ui, which currently is built on ce3.
This is a ce4 device w/ a custom interface.

Thomas- i noticed :lol: i think jason is just gonna insert his post there or something... don't know...

hey i just noticed... did we skip the year anniversay for ppcthoughts switching to phpBB? I held out on registering a couple of days... so they must have changed to these boards like on the 3rd or 4th or something...

ThomasC22
02-07-2003, 03:57 AM
Thomas- i noticed :lol: i think jason is just gonna insert his post there or something... don't know...

Well, you know what they say, fame is fleeting :lol:

RickP in AZ
02-07-2003, 05:43 AM
I likey!

The product spec PDF is rather intriguing to me. The Today page and the wireless functionality of it is really great.

Yes the design is quite ugly but that is a minor point when you factor in all the other features.

Maybe it is because I never owned an HPC/WinCE device and I want something a little closer to the desktop interface.

(I need another short, choppy, pointless sentence to round it all out.)

pdajunkies
02-07-2003, 05:14 PM
I just hope that with the price craze with PDA's this isn't another one that could rival the same cost as a lesser featured laptop.

The iPaq have been running into this and I don't see how their prices are justifiable.

Jonathan1
02-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Shades of Newton in that thing. I SOOOOOOOOO want one!!! But software availability concerns me. :?

As for this being in line with laptops. I challenge a laptop or even a subnotebook to get the batt life that Pocket PC's get. These things aren't using your typical x86 instruction set and chips. They are highly power conservative equating into substantial batt live.

EDIT: Oops. I thought this was bigger then a PDA. Guess not :? I really want a device with the form factor of a Newton. I'll grant you it was/is large but its size also allows easier input of info. Don't know about you guys but trying to write across that small screen on a PPC is hard, IMHO.

Perry Reed
02-07-2003, 06:34 PM
This device looks very interesting to me, and I hope they do make it to market. Not sure if I'll ever get one, but I'll definitely look closely at it.

FredMurphy
02-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Looks like it's got a lot in common with Samsung's almost-released NEXiO S160 (http://www.samsungelectronics.com/pda/nexio.html).

Jonathan1
02-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Guys is there a release date for the NEXiO S160?

Underwater Mike
02-07-2003, 09:40 PM
If this thing can come in under $700, I'll buy one in a heartbeat (and try to figure out how to hide it from my wife). :oops:

PapaSmurfDan
02-08-2003, 01:26 AM
Shades of Newton in that thing. I SOOOOOOOOO want one!!! But software availability concerns me. :?

As for this being in line with laptops. I challenge a laptop or even a subnotebook to get the batt life that Pocket PC's get. These things aren't using your typical x86 instruction set and chips. They are highly power conservative equating into substantial batt live.

EDIT: Oops. I thought this was bigger then a PDA. Guess not :? I really want a device with the form factor of a Newton. I'll grant you it was/is large but its size also allows easier input of info. Don't know about you guys but trying to write across that small screen on a PPC is hard, IMHO.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who wants a bigger PDA screen. Every PPC and Palm have screens too small to really use as a handwriting input. Maybe we should bug Apple to make a new newton. Anyone up for an iNewton :D Knowing Apple, it would probally have a 24bit transfelctive and a pressure senstive screen.

-Dan