View Full Version : ative sync email from Axim to desktop

Randall Woodruff
02-06-2003, 01:57 PM
I am unable to send email from my inbox using the active sync service from my Axim back to my desktop computer. Via Active Sync, I get copies of email sent to my desktop computer from other users of my office network, but I can't even reply to them via the Axim. Any thoughts?

Dell doesn't seem to have an answer for this. Everyone in my office using the same network, same computers, same pocket pcs are having this problem. Is anyone else? Any fixes come to mind?

Andy Whiteford
02-06-2003, 02:02 PM
I don't think you can sync new messages from your inbox back to you desktop, only from outbox i.e. pending to be sent.
I believe you can only delete from Inbox on Pocket PC and have these sycned to your desktop i.e. deleted from yoru desktop inbox.

Any new messages you receive on your Pocket PC not via active sync are just copies of what is on the email server and you would just download these normally to your desktop from the server, not via ActiveSync from your Pocket PC.

I may well be wrong but that is how I use email with the Pocket PC.

Randall Woodruff
02-06-2003, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure I explained myself correctly in my original post. I'll do better this time. Here's what I want to do: With my Axim, I want to create an email message in Inbox; address it to myself; and send it. Then, when I dock my Axim, it should sync with or be sent to my desktop computer thereby providing me a "new message" on Outlook. I had no problem doing this with my HP Jornada 520, but it will not work with the Axim. Nothing in the system has changed other than the addition of the Axim.

Andy Whiteford
02-06-2003, 02:35 PM
Okay, when you create the message on your Axim, is it in the outbox? This is the first thing to check. If this is the case, ensure that Inbox settings are allowing everything to be correctly synced to allow the outbox to be synced as well.
Also check on your desktop that this message appears in the Sent Folder. If all is well, verify the address you are using.

Randall Woodruff
02-06-2003, 02:41 PM
The message does in fact travel from the Inbox to the Outbox and eventually is "sent" to the desktop. However, on the desktop, I get a message that says:

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Test
Sent: 2/6/03 8:39 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'Windows/rlw2/Randy' on 2/6/03 8:39 AM
No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient."

I think this could be an addressing problem, but I can't seem to fix it. How can I get my Axim to find my desktop's address on out network mail server? We use Outlook 2000 for our network email.

Sslixtis
02-06-2003, 02:56 PM
It worked fine for me, I addressed my test e-mail to myself, put it in the Outbox of Inbox, Sync'd and presto 30 secs later it arrived in my inbox on Outlook 2002.

Randall Woodruff
02-06-2003, 03:02 PM
Did you make any specific changes to your system when you added the Axim? This is apparently a problem within my system. The only addressing options I have from Axim's Inbox are found in the Outlook Contacts list. I need to be able to locate an address in our Post Office Address List to send to myself or others on our intra office network.

Andy Whiteford
02-06-2003, 03:18 PM
I have seen an issue like this when I first tried sending mails with my Pocket PC. Can you not send anymails or just to yourself?
I think the issue I had was with quotes around the address or something similar.

Randall Woodruff
02-06-2003, 03:23 PM
I can't send any emails within our local network. However, if I switch from active sync to a pop3 service, I can email just fine over the internet.

Andy Whiteford
02-06-2003, 03:45 PM
Do external emails go out okay via ActiveSync?

Randall Woodruff
02-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Our external emails go out via Outlook Express via the pop3 service I set up on my Axim. Could the problem have anything to do with the fact that we use for our internal, in-house network email, Outlook 2000 with a post office address list the same as when we were on Win95. My sec. & I use Win98; the others all use XP.

Andy Whiteford
02-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Can you try sending an external mail from your Axim via ActiveSync, not pop3 and let me know if it goes okay. I'm trying to figure out if it's a general mail problem or an internal routing issue.

Randall Woodruff
02-06-2003, 06:22 PM
I tried and got a message that it was "undeliverable."

Andy Whiteford
02-06-2003, 08:49 PM
Was this message in your Sent folder on the desktop?

Randall Woodruff
02-07-2003, 01:10 PM
I am finally able to log onto the forum. Just to be sure you got my message through Brad, my messages (at least the error messages) appear in my sent folder on the desktop computer.

If you can walk me through the trouble-shooting using my Axim, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for all the help.

TheBacklash
02-07-2003, 03:45 PM
The message does in fact travel from the Inbox to the Outbox and eventually is "sent" to the desktop. However, on the desktop, I get a message that says:

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Test
Sent: 2/6/03 8:39 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'Windows/rlw2/Randy' on 2/6/03 8:39 AM
No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient."

I think this could be an addressing problem, but I can't seem to fix it. How can I get my Axim to find my desktop's address on out network mail server? We use Outlook 2000 for our network email.

I used to get the same error myself...

Check to make sure the e-mail address you enter does not have a ' before and after the address... '[email protected]'

I had this happen a few times before I manualy dropped the ' before and after the address, then they send fine.
Don't know why it did this, but that was my problem.

If I set up another service, not syncing with outlook but directly to my e-mail server, I didn't get the problem. I just get home put in the Wi-Fi card and click send/recieve and it's sent.

Randall Woodruff
02-07-2003, 06:50 PM
I just checked and there is no ' before or after the address in my contacts list or when I create the email message. The ' appears in the error message before and after the address however.