View Full Version : Tri-band XDA

lanwarrior
02-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Hi all,

I am interested in purchasing the XDA but I am not sure if this is TRI-BAND ready. i.e. can be used in UK, US, Asia, etc.

I have heard from people that there is a way to make a dual-band XDA to become tri-band. I am not sure if this is just a rumour or what. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

Monty Gibson
02-06-2003, 03:51 PM
Hi all,

I am interested in purchasing the XDA but I am not sure if this is TRI-BAND ready. i.e. can be used in UK, US, Asia, etc.

I have heard from people that there is a way to make a dual-band XDA to become tri-band. I am not sure if this is just a rumour or what. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

There are two versions of the XDA (other names implied as well for this device): There is one for the America(s) market and one for the European market. Different bands for the corresponding countries. Triband is only available with the use of a compact flash card that has been recently introduced. The XDA does not support compact flash so therefore; with my very limited knowledge, the XDA does not support triband at this time.

rustek
06-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Looking at the XDA developers forum I note that they have found tweaks (if you're brave, that mean you can activate the triband functionality of the XDA however, like me, if you're not so brave then wait till end of the year. In the UK the new triband XDA will be released sporting bluetooth and 64Mb ROM

sobk
06-10-2003, 07:56 PM
wait till end of the year. In the UK the new triband XDA will be released sporting bluetooth and 64Mb ROM

Ooo that's good to hear :)

Do you have any more details on the new XDA?

Janak Parekh
06-11-2003, 02:44 AM
Just an addition to the other comments: if you buy the US version, you'll get a 900/1900 dual-band, which should work in most of the world. As long as you don't need 1800MHz, that's a mitigable setup.

--janak

rustek
06-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Thought I'd be brave and try the tweaks on the XDA Developers forum.
What's involved is holding the Power button while performing a soft- reset.

The wallaby boot-loader screen appears. From here the various buttons of the XDA take on different functions.

Pressing the top-right key takes you to the GSM menu.

From here you can toggle to the GSM setting you want.

NOW HERE'S WHERE IT WENT WRONG FOR ME.....

To exit the menu it says - "Simply perform a soft reset"

At this point my XDA refused to reboot. After several attempts I was forced to do a cold boot and system restore.

:crazyeyes: BE WARNED PEOPLE - DON'T MESS IF, LIKE ME, YOUR XDA IS A NECESSARY EXTENSION TO YOUR BRAIN.

johnwallis
06-19-2003, 07:06 PM
In the UK the new triband XDA will be released sporting bluetooth and 64Mb ROM

As a UK user, would be really interested in more details on xda with bluetooth and triband. Bluetooth would address a lot of my frustrations with expansion etc, and triband would be so cool for USA trips. No more renting a phone, and giving out new numbers!

Where can I get more info? How firm is this, or just O2 vapourware?! Will this be an entirely new version on from the 64MB xda currently available? When?

Thanks
John