View Full Version : Microsoft Warns Of Open-Source Pricing Threat

Jason Dunn
02-06-2003, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.informationweek.com/news/IWK20030204S0009' target='_blank'>http://www.informationweek.com/news...WK20030204S0009</a><br /><br /></div>"Microsoft warned in a recent Securities and Exchange Commission filing that it may be forced to drop the price of its software because of the threat of open-source software. "The popularization of the open-source movement continues to pose a significant challenge to the company's business model, including recent efforts by proponents of the open-source model to convince governments worldwide to mandate the use of open-source software in their purchase and development of software products," Microsoft said in a 10-Q report for the quarter ending Jan. 31."<br /><br />Now here's something interesting - Microsoft is essentially saying that they're going to have to reduce the price of their software to compete with Open Source solutions and thereby make less profit. I'm no market expert, but I assume they're doing this to avoid the stock drop that would occur if Microsoft announced they were cutting the prices of their software by 30% and would therefore earn 30% below their earnings goal. This assumes, however, that volume would remain static if prices were dropped. I don't think they would - I think there's a pricing sweet spot for Office XP and Windows XP where people would upgrade easily. This volume in turn might compensate for the lower prices...which would allow Microsoft to announce better than average profits after having lowered them previously.<br /><br />And there you have my very rudimentary understanding of the market. What's your conspiracy theory? 8)

Jonathan1
02-06-2003, 05:12 AM
Here's the thing. As you said. IF they drastically dropped the price of their 2 juggernauts: Office and Windows that more people would be willing to shell out more for more copies.

I think companies, and the RIAA and MPAA, have a hard time realizing this. The question is what is that "sweet spot"?

But there is also the fact that people don’t like product activation and DRM which Windows and Office uses to varying extents. Just dropping the price of the dynamic duo isn’t going to solve this. There would have to be a fundamental change in how well MS plays with its competitors something they just don’t like doing. *shrugs* My 2 cents.

Robotbeat
02-06-2003, 05:20 AM
As I said before in response to something about how Microsoft was going to "beat Linux", you can't beat Linux. Linux is free. Well, the retractors must now realize that Linux (and open-source in general) does have a significant pull on the market. Microsoft can't squash Linux. You can't even buy it out, really. As Microsoft likes to call it, open-source is like a virus that can't be stopped. Sure, Microsoft can still compete with it, but some people think that Microsoft will eventually defeat Linux. I disagree.

But anyways... This news is just confirming what is obvious to almost everyone in the tech industry Microsoft products cost too much.

Jonathan1
02-06-2003, 05:20 AM
PS- There is also the damaged image of Microsoft. Whether its true or not is irrelevant. When you say the word Microsoft and business people think hard ball tactics, bullying of OEM's, and generally doing anything they can to make a profit. Right or wrong it’s the image MS has and something they need to fix. How they going about doing that _MIGHT_ mean lower profits by pulling back from their hardball tactics.

Jason Dunn
02-06-2003, 05:31 AM
But there is also the fact that people don’t like product activation and DRM which Windows and Office uses to varying extents.

I've been using Windows software with product activation for over a year now, and I've never had any sort of problem. I think the people who complain the most about product activation are the people who liked getting "free" copies of Windows and Office from work, their friends, etc. What I'm hoping is that if the price drops on Windows and Office, more people will buy them...

Jonathan1
02-06-2003, 05:35 AM
Robotbeat,
How will MS compete with Linux?

Its called Palidum (Or however you spell it.) If MS can implement this in hardware and software before Linux or Apple take a large chunk of the market they could actually lock Linux out from working with Trusted Computing hardware and software. A price drop right now would be an attempt to hold off Linux while they implement Palidum .

This really is a war. With battle plans and tactics. Linux has done a good job by countering with making their “stuff” compatible with Windows…to a certain extent. Windows is moving into closed hardware (Witness the Tablet PC.) and eventually fritz chip enabled hardware.

The next 2-4 years are going to be interesting. The thing that could bring everything crashing down on Linux is if the gov ever intervenes by requiring every puter to use trusted PC components or requiring DRM in all OS’s which would be a major victory for MS. Not likely but its possible. After the DMCA...I believe anything could happen. :? A possible price drop is only a response for the time being. But you are right. Free is free.

Jonathan1
02-06-2003, 05:40 AM
I've been using Windows software with product activation for over a year now, and I've never had any sort of problem. I think the people who complain the most about product activation are the people who liked getting "free" copies of Windows and Office from work, their friends, etc. What I'm hoping is that if the price drops on Windows and Office, more people will buy them...

I've had Office deactivate on me occasionally on my laptop. I'm still trying to figure out why. I found a work around with creating an SMS installer package to backup the activation files and reg entries so if this happens again I can just run the package.

Windows has deactivated on me twice in the last year. First was when I added my SCSI Jazz drive and Geforce 4. The second time was after adding a new sound card after X-Mas...It does occur. *shrugs*

Edit: Sound card and an extra 512MB of RAM

cyp
02-06-2003, 05:42 AM
And there you have my very rudimentary understanding of the market. 8)

It's pretty much spot on Jason. This is what it means by price elasticity in microeconomics. You are hoping that a small drop in price will bring in more sales in quantity so that your total revenue increases. This means that the product is at a pricing that is very elastic.

If you want to increase revenue by increasing the price, you want your product to be price inelastic; as the price increase will not substancially reduce your sales quantity so that will affect your total revenue.

So the billion dollar question is "Are MS products price inelastic or elastic?"

wiley
02-06-2003, 05:52 AM
I have to agree with both of Jason's posts, in that I think that lower prices for Microsoft products will bring in a larger number of customers.

Most consumers are honest in my opinion, and are willing to pay a fair price for what they want, and lowering the prices increases the number of honest Microsoft customers (who will probably be repeat customers because of the lower price and convenience of upgrades).

Those who are semi-honest will probably buy instead of trying to hack product activation features.

Purchasing a legitimate product also entitles you to support. Although feelings about MS's support may vary, when I upgraded the BIOS on my motherboard and was forced to reactivate my copy of windows, it only took a two minute call to resolve (even though I am an American living in Japan). Toll free I might add. So it was annoying, but not a real problem.

Put the three together and I think that Microsoft and consumers win in the short run. In the long run Linux might become popular enough to take the lead, but the best part is that all of this competition makes for better products at lower prices. 8)

Weyoun6
02-06-2003, 05:55 AM
I'm sorry, but I find this really funny. Thanks for giving me some "light" to my day.

Now, Jason seems to be right, if I read him correctly (Hey, Im tired)

Lowering the cost of the product does not necessarily mean lower cost, because people are more likely to buy. Especially MS products, since they are overpriced to begin with IMHO. Case in point, the Academic edition of Office selling like hotcakes.

jgrnt1
02-06-2003, 05:59 AM
They may also be announcing this to counter future claims of anti-competitive practices. If they aggressively lower their prices, it could be viewed by the courts as further evidence of Microsoft trying to squash competition.

pro_worm
02-06-2003, 06:16 AM
Well, CVP, congrats for trying :)

Now what did you get on the AP? :twisted:

Jason Dunn
02-06-2003, 06:16 AM
They may also be announcing this to counter future claims of anti-competitive practices. If they aggressively lower their prices, it could be viewed by the courts as further evidence of Microsoft trying to squash competition.

Now THAT would be pretty funny considering the evidence used against Microsoft included charges of price fixing because Windows hasn't gotten much cheapter over time. Damned if you do, damned if don't. :roll:

hrianto
02-06-2003, 06:29 AM
In MS point of view, LINUX is cancer. I believe MS now realizes that WINDOWS will not win the battle against LINUX just like NETSCAPE lost the battle against FREE INTERNET EXPLORER.

If MS wants WINDOWS to win at the end then MS should play at the same level with LINUX. Not just reduce the price of WINDOWS but make it FREE. Provide free upgrade. This will certainly stop LINUX.

Right now WINDOWS is the standard in the desktop. IF the upgrade or cost of WINDOWS is FREE, who in this world want to try something else? except probably those who hate MS for whatever reasons.

The point is if MS want to hold the market share for WINDOWS on the desktop then DO IT now. Let's WINDOWS cost FREE. MS does't have to follow LINUX on open source concept for WINDOWS. It will be to late if LINUX has got enough ground on the market in the future. Again remember NETSCAPE case.

In short if your company is running WINDOWS now and there are options to choose path of upgrade: FREE WINDOWS UPGRADE with closed codes/sources or FREE LINUX with open codes/sources. I would think majority of the company will stay with WINDOWS.

Then how MS makes money? Well... simple... anything else except WINDOWS.

Kati Compton
02-06-2003, 06:51 AM

I don't like product activation, and I have only legitimate Microsoft software.

My husband is a journalist, and he had to test motherboard speeds. These tests included some that tested the speed of MS Office. So the magazine sent him an unopened retail box. He did a fresh OS install and Office install for each motherboard to test the speed, and since he didn't need to run it more than the 30 times, did not activate the software.

After these tests were complete, he reformatted the drive. The magazine said he could keep the copy of XP, which he gave to me to use with my new XP machine. I installed it, and tried to activate it using the automated phone system. It rejected me. I talked to an actual service rep, and they said that I couldn't activate it because it was already installed on 4 machines or something like that.

Now, while this was true, it was also true that it was removed, as stated above. However, since it was never activated, how did Microsoft know how many computers it was installed to?

I really don't like that they sent the info back to themselves without at the very least informing me that they were doing so. I was under the impression that it was only at product activation (such as if I actually AGREED to do it online, which I did NOT) that it would send my name, mother's maiden name, SSN, favorite color, distinguishing marks, weight, height, and favorite food to Microsoft.

It just feels very "guilty until proven innocent", which I resent. And I don't buy the arguments of "if you're a legitimate user you have nothing to hide".

Fortunately the person I called during the day agreed that since it hadn't been actually activated on any of those computers, obviously it wouldn't function on them, and I was free to activate it on mine.

[side note - avoid calling tech support for any company past business hours... I've only had bad results]

As for this situation, I think it's pretty ridiculous. They're complaining that there might be competition, and that as a result they may have to drop prices? I was under the impression that this is how something like a free-market economy is supposed to work.

wastl
02-06-2003, 06:59 AM
Being in my late 40's and very lazy I always like the MS product. Not cheap but very easy to install, like a toy ready to play! Now 2 weekends ago I bought for AU $20.00 a Full Version of RedHat V8.0 only because I had nothing to do and was bored and what a real surprise it was. Full Graphical Interface, recognized all my Hardware and I was back on the Internet after 30mins Installation without any problems PLUS it includes now Automatic Internet updates like "Windows update" AND ANNDD included the newest Version of OpenOffice and that all for AU $20.00 legally.

I certainly understand why all the students in University and High School are using OpenSource which is equivalent to Ms which cost here in Australia up to AU $1200.00 (OS & Office). My 16 year old son and his friends know more about OpenSource Software as I do about MS Windows and I am 25 years in the Compter Business.

They get used to the OpenSource Software and later asking themselves WHY change to something which is 50 times more expensive and does exactly the same job so they stick with it.

I certainly will have closer look over the coming month what the fuss is all about but you don't need to be Einstein to figure out how much money you might safe over a 5 to 10 year period.

Kids and Student don’t have simple the money to upgrade or add new software every few month and Microsoft will loose Big Time on the younger Generation over a longer period of time and they know that!!!!!

My AU 2c comment!

Robotbeat
02-06-2003, 07:13 AM
Free Windows? What the heck are you talking about? Microsoft makes most of its profits off of Windows! The only two sections of Microsoft that actually even turn a positive profit are Office and Windows! Since pretty much everyone has at least one copy of Windows, then Microsoft wouldn't make any money! It would be loosing money like crazy!

Anyways, yeah. I like Mandrake a lot better than RedHat. It's easier to use, I think. And I can just download the newest version in an hour and a half with my cable modem at home and burn it on three CDs. Cost? About one buck. Since I can always eat or something while downloading or play games or something, the total time involved is less than going to the store. I should donate money to Mandrake.

DrtyBlvd
02-06-2003, 10:08 AM
In MS point of view, LINUX is cancer. I believe MS now realizes that WINDOWS will not win the battle against LINUX just like NETSCAPE lost the battle against FREE INTERNET EXPLORER.

If MS wants WINDOWS to win at the end then MS should play at the same level with LINUX. Not just reduce the price of WINDOWS but make it FREE. Provide free upgrade. This will certainly stop LINUX.

Right now WINDOWS is the standard in the desktop. IF the upgrade or cost of WINDOWS is FREE, who in this world want to try something else? except probably those who hate MS for whatever reasons.

The point is if MS want to hold the market share for WINDOWS on the desktop then DO IT now. Let's WINDOWS cost FREE. MS does't have to follow LINUX on open source concept for WINDOWS. It will be to late if LINUX has got enough ground on the market in the future. Again remember NETSCAPE case.

In short if your company is running WINDOWS now and there are options to choose path of upgrade: FREE WINDOWS UPGRADE with closed codes/sources or FREE LINUX with open codes/sources. I would think majority of the company will stay with WINDOWS.

Then how MS makes money? Well... simple... anything else except WINDOWS.

Free Windows? What the heck are you talking about? Microsoft makes most of its profits off of Windows! The only two sections of Microsoft that actually even turn a positive profit are Office and Windows! Since pretty much everyone has at least one copy of Windows, then Microsoft wouldn't make any money! It would be loosing money like crazy!

Very interesting points I think - Does MS make money from retailing Windows, or from Manufacturer OS installs? I mean such as,say, 'Dell pc comes with XP' - what proportion of MS's revenue stream is retail and corporate?

And what split of their revenue is Application / OS?

Make the OS free and charge less for Apps, and you'd have a winner - Although would it then be unfair competiton were MS to give Windows 'away' free? :wink:

And how would the business model stack up? The city would need to trade it's b-focals for a set of snazzy contacts to maintain sight of their confidence were such a thing to happen....

Want the Segway to be a hit? Give it away free.

Want anything to be a hit? Give it away free.
(Might only succeed for a real short while, but hey!)

Until we live in the Star Trek utopia of [whatever it's called when there's no cost to anything] , I can't see it happening - There's too much perceived to be at stake, don't you think?

DrtyBlvd
02-06-2003, 10:31 AM

I don't like product activation, and I have only legitimate Microsoft software.

Me either. Using PGP doesn't make me guilty of anything - but I still wish to be able to use it without being labelled as 'hiding something' - it's that old chestnut again...

Someone quoted on the boards recently that
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing"

After these tests were complete, he reformatted the drive. The magazine said he could keep the copy of XP, which he gave to me to use with my new XP machine. I installed it, and tried to activate it using the automated phone system. It rejected me. I talked to an actual service rep, and they said that I couldn't activate it because it was already installed on 4 machines or something like that.

Now, while this was true, it was also true that it was removed, as stated above. However, since it was never activated, how did Microsoft know how many computers it was installed to?
Very important question... shame you can't recall the specifics mentoned -

I really don't like that they sent the info back to themselves without at the very least informing me that they were doing so. I was under the impression that it was only at product activation (such as if I actually AGREED to do it online, which I did NOT) that it would send my name, mother's maiden name, SSN, favorite color, distinguishing marks, weight, height, and favorite food to Microsoft.

Without wanting to drag off track, if MS actually did this, would not more people be aware of it? (Am I the last to know?!?)

What are others' perspectives on this?

And surely there must be some legal "aspect" to it's legitimacy?

We've all read the usual things about Activation / Copyright / etc etc - but I've not seen such a specific example of it's resultant "use" before...

Rirath
02-06-2003, 12:44 PM
I can't help but wonder if I'm reading this right. The way it reads, it sounds like Microsoft is complaining because they're having a hard time competing with free? With me so far?

Well erm... anyone remember when they CRUSHED Netscape by giving away IE? :lol:
You all know I love MS... but even I find this amusing. :)

dh
02-06-2003, 01:41 PM
I can't help but wonder if I'm reading this right. The way it reads, it sounds like Microsoft is complaining because they're having a hard time competing with free? With me so far?

Well erm... anyone remember when they CRUSHED Netscape by giving away IE? :lol:
You all know I love MS... but even I find this amusing. :)

I also have nothing against MS, but I also find this rather amusing. Competition is a wonderful thing.

To be sure, if MS was to reduce prices it would indedd create more business. For example, I'm using Office 2000 on my Thinkpad and would certainly upgrade to Office XP if the pricing was better. Also I am using Office 98 for the Mac, long overdue for upgrade, but it still does what I want so why spend a ton on money on it.

Of course MS whining about competitive pressure can only help their case in the various anti-trust cases.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have any experience with the Linux PDA from Sharp? I like the look of that new clamshell one.

dh
02-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Being in my late 40's and very lazy I always like the MS product. Not cheap but very easy to install, like a toy ready to play! Now 2 weekends ago I bought for AU $20.00 a Full Version of RedHat V8.0 only because I had nothing to do and was bored and what a real surprise it was. Full Graphical Interface, recognized all my Hardware and I was back on the Internet after 30mins Installation without any problems PLUS it includes now Automatic Internet updates like "Windows update" AND ANNDD included the newest Version of OpenOffice and that all for AU $20.00 legally.

How does Open Office compare with MS Office? Can you move files between them without messing them up, or is it another Word - Pocket Word deal?

GoldKey
02-06-2003, 01:47 PM
Agreed. Personally, I only have a periodic need to have Office on my home computer. But I do need to open a Word, Excel, Powerpoint, or Access file every once in a while. But buying Office is just way to expensive for the amount I would use it. So, I use OpenOffice.org (which is free) even though I prefer Office.

DH- No file compatibility problems that I have noted. Just be sure to save it in the office format rather than openoffices format. It usually defaults to its own format.

darius779
02-06-2003, 02:29 PM
How many years now have we heard that piracy has driven up the cost of software, now Microsoft introduces this new drastic anti-piracy feature.. prices should drop. Microsoft owes this to the people who have made them inconceivably rich.

I think if Microsoft was selling Windows, having upgrading costs would be fine, however, they are not. They are selling licenses to use windows. I want the license that I purchase to be usable in whatever version that I choose to use.

Theres my 2¢.

Kati Compton
02-06-2003, 03:42 PM
Very important question... shame you can't recall the specifics mentoned -

Yeah - the problem is that there was a month or two between the testing and me getting an XP machine that I wanted to install Office XP to. Plus, since I wanted to get Office activated, I felt that making a huge deal out of the fact that they were spying on me would be counterproductive. :(

Without wanting to drag off track, if MS actually did this, would not more people be aware of it? (Am I the last to know?!?)

Maybe the reps are usually instructed not to tell people this info, and this one, being confused, violated that rule. There's no "if" about MS doing this - it definitely happened. And Office was definitely NOT activated before I did on my XP machine, and they still knew. All machines were connected to the net, the XP CD could not keep track of the number of installs, so the only possible conclusion is that those test computers were sending information to Microsoft without our consent.

Interestingly enough, when I installed the same instance of XP to my laptop (permitted on the EULA), the automatic activation worked that time. But that was a year later.

And surely there must be some legal "aspect" to it's legitimacy?

We've all read the usual things about Activation / Copyright / etc etc - but I've not seen such a specific example of it's resultant "use" before...

I don't know about the legal aspect. Besides - it seems that software companies would be able to get away with this by arguing about the evils of piracy. But it really makes me uncomfortable. Who knows what other info about my computer they know. I don't even like that they know by the activation code what soundcard I'm using. That's none of their business.

And who knows what other information they're sending. They could be gathering data about every single thing I have installed so they can monitor for pirated other MS software, or examine what software I use from competing companies. Argh. It makes me really mad whenever I think of it, but I'm not prepared (YET) to give up all the software that will only run on Windows.

dh
02-06-2003, 04:05 PM
And who knows what other information they're sending. They could be gathering data about every single thing I have installed so they can monitor for pirated other MS software, or examine what software I use from competing companies. Argh. It makes me really mad whenever I think of it, but I'm not prepared (YET) to give up all the software that will only run on Windows.

I'm with you there Kati, this is another good reason to stay with Win2000 and not upgrade to XP.

As you say, it is difficult to get away from Windows completely just becuase there are no alternatives to much of the software. MS software also works pretty good as well.

A good example is that I listened to Apple and bought a Mac for graphic intensive jobs. I actually have not used it in months, just about every I do, including graphics in Quark, Photoshop etc, runs just as good, if not better, on the Thinkpad with Win2K.

I've never used Linux so I have no idea of how well the applications work. I wonder if there are Linux alternatives to Photoshop, Quark Xpress, the Macromedia suite etc. Probably have to stick with Win or Mac for those.

Kati Compton
02-06-2003, 04:20 PM
I've never used Linux so I have no idea of how well the applications work. I wonder if there are Linux alternatives to Photoshop, Quark Xpress, the Macromedia suite etc. Probably have to stick with Win or Mac for those.

I hear GIMP is pretty good (as a graphics program), but don't know about the others. I think for me there will always be work-related programs that are Windows-only, or only the Windows license is available to me. :( That doesn't even count the gaming I like to do.

Rirath
02-06-2003, 04:22 PM
Gimp is good, but only good. It isn't and will never be Photoshop of course. There's a windows version now if you're really curious.

Jonathan1
02-06-2003, 04:25 PM
Hmmm I had a rather nasty thought. MS funds most of its pet projects (Read: XBOX, Tablet PC, Pocket PC, world domination ;) ) with the cash influx from Windows and I have to imagine to a lesser extent Office. If Microsoft starts getting hit with having to directly compete against Linux by dropping their prices they could very well drop funding or at the very least decrease funding for these pet projects. I still stand by my belief that in the grand scheme of things the Pocket PC has always been the bastard child of Microsoft. Always being secondary to other projects (Read: XBOX, Tablet PC) If this does occure tough times could hit the Pocket PC platform....Then again they DO have 40 billion in the bank but I have to imagine that would go towards fighting the red menace...oops sorry RedHAT menace. ;)

So everyone get out there and buy Windows XP and Office XP. Heck buy 2 copies of each. Do we need to start up a Save the Pocket PC fund? Should Jason and Dale do a telethon? With special guest appearances by Bill Gates.

Jason Dunn
02-06-2003, 06:30 PM
How many years now have we heard that piracy has driven up the cost of software, now Microsoft introduces this new drastic anti-piracy feature.. prices should drop. Microsoft owes this to the people who have made them inconceivably rich.

I feel the Wolverine berserker rage coming on... :twisted:

I've been hammering Microsoft on this at every possible opportunity - submitting it to the MVP Wishlist, etc. You're absolutely right - if product activation is really about reducing piracy, and piracy is one reason why software is so expensive, then why the hell haven't prices come down on Windows XP and Office XP?

Here's the scenario that I find really frustrating: it's not unreasonable to ask someone to go out and spend $130 CND on a Windows XP Home upgrade. That's not cheap, but it's not brutally expensive either. But what if you have three computers in the house, one for you and two for the kids? Microsoft's multi-user license discount in this scenario is something pathetic like 10%... 8O Suddenly Joe Consumer is being asked to drop $400-$500, and XP doesn't look so good. But it IS so much better than 9x, so it pains me to see friends of mine sticking with a crappy OS like 9x because it's too expensive to upgrade to XP. I'd like to see Microsoft offer a "2 for 1" license - any copy of XP can be installed and activated on two different machines. Or a deeper discount - something in the 50% range. It's nice that you can install Office XP on a desktop and a laptop at least...why not have the same thing for Windows XP?

AND HERE'S ANOTHER THING...

Microsoft is keenly aware that the cost of Office XP is hindering sales - that's why they released that "Student and Teachers Edition" for $200 CND (about $150 US I think) that is sold at Costco, Future Shop, and other stores that don't care about checking ID. There has always been heavily discounted Microsoft educational software, but it was only sold by collage stores and places that checked ID - you couldn't walk in off the street and buy it. Microsoft did this little "experiment", and last I heard they've sold more copies of this cheap bundle than all other Office XP licenses combined. Microsoft is not stupid - they know business. The only limitation to this software is that it can't be used as an upgrade. But if you're only paying $200 CND for the whole thing anyway, who cares about upgrades?

Janak Parekh
02-06-2003, 07:13 PM
Who knows what other info about my computer they know. I don't even like that they know by the activation code what soundcard I'm using. That's none of their business.
Officially speaking, they're not supposed to. They're supposed to create a hash of the hardware you have and generate a unique identifier based on that and the key code you enter.

Yes, I've ranted on this before. I've debated installing Linux on my work desktop, but unfortunately (fortunately?) I use too many Windows apps, and XP works very well.

--janak

LarDude
02-06-2003, 09:03 PM
There were some rumours/urban-legends floating around a few
years ago that MS was actually using linux (and Apache?) on their
own webservers...(?). Anyone know if this was in fact true or not?

Jonathan1
02-06-2003, 09:34 PM
There were some rumours/urban-legends floating around a few
years ago that MS was actually using linux (and Apache?) on their
own webservers...(?). Anyone know if this was in fact true or not?

I think that was limited to the Hotmail servers. _I_ _THINK_ they were using BSD and Apache.

wastl
02-06-2003, 09:53 PM
""How does Open Office compare with MS Office? Can you move files between them without messing them up, or is it another Word - Pocket Word deal?""

With OpenOffice you can open Ms Word 2000/2002 and Excel Documents and can save them as MS Documents too again...so why spending all the Money when you can have it for free (http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/1.0.0/index.html)

I not promoting Sun Microsystems products but I have 3 computers plus 1 Laptop at my House and 2 Computers for my boys at my ex Wife's place. So I suppose I have to buy 6 Copies of Office XP which would cost me around AU $6000.00 here.....Yeehh sure Microsoft who are you kidding when you can have nearly 80% of all the Office functions FOR FREE.

I like all their MS Software but I simple get sick of it paying big money every 2 years and I am not the only one which is why MS worried I guess and threaten exciting customers with every trick in book!

PS: There is a Windows Version available of OpenOffice which I use on all of my computers (see Link above)

PS again: Have a read at this news paper clip :Danish schools get free StarOffice plus Telstra Australia is testing OpenOffice at the moment and MS have sent their biggest hotshot Steve to Australia to talk to them cause the are worried!!

http://australianit.news.com.au/common/search_form_handler?SEARCH_ACT=display
&story_id=5791815&TotalPage=1&searchTermIMT=%28
OpenOffice%29&pageNum=1&resNum=20&searchLog=
20030207081338-25775&searchBy=date&Intro=No