View Full Version : 3970 vs 5450: newbie seeks advice

Jasmine
02-05-2003, 02:15 PM
A friend at work has recently introduced to the magic of iPAQs. I've never had a pocket pc before or even a palm, but now that I've seen what they can do I'm thinking seriously about getting one myself.

The two models that I've been considering are the 3970 and the 5450. I thought the 5450 would be cool because it's the new one, and hey, if I'm going to get one, why not start with the latest?? However, I've seen many posts on this site from people experiencing problems with their 5450/5455. I understand that the 3970s are pretty stable though. So, this leaves me wondering what I should do??

If anyone could offer advice/opinions, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jasmine.

PS. I'm also looking into getting a new phone to go with the new iPAQ. My current mobiles are a few years old and don't have bluetooth, GPRS, infrared, etc. From what I've read, the Sony Ericsson T68i seems to work well with the new iPAQs.

igreen
02-05-2003, 02:38 PM
I have one of each. No problems with either. I love the 5400.

jsanfordii
02-05-2003, 03:10 PM
I just dumped my pocket pc phone edition (tmobile), and got a normal cell phone and the iPaq 5455. It's amazing. I highly recommend it.

james

Janak Parekh
02-05-2003, 08:15 PM
If anyone could offer advice/opinions, it would be very much appreciated.
If you don't need WiFi, the 3970 is a very solid, stable unit. The 5450 is not bad, but there are mixed reports of usability with the d-pad and the Wi-Fi sometimes is tricky to turn on. If you get a 5450, get it from somewhere you can return it -- just in case.

BTW, any reason you're not considering other Pocket PCs, like the Axim? Not that the iPaqs are bad -- just take a look at the variety to make sure you get what you want.

PS. I'm also looking into getting a new phone to go with the new iPAQ. My current mobiles are a few years old and don't have bluetooth, GPRS, infrared, etc. From what I've read, the Sony Ericsson T68i seems to work well with the new iPAQs.
The T68i is a very good Bluetooth-enabled phone, so long as you have decent GSM coverage.

--janak

cgavula
02-06-2003, 08:59 PM
I have a 5455 and it's been great so far. The little problems have been addressable. The 3900s had some issues when they first came out too. I suspect the 5400 series problems will be resolved with an update soon.

--Chris

Chris Spera
02-07-2003, 02:04 AM
Looks like we're still following each other around, huh, Chris... :lol:

Chris is right, tho; and if he hadn't said it, I was going to. If you remember, when the 3900's came out, the expectation was that they would be the iPAQ that solved all the 3800's problems. They didn't, tho they went far to solve a great many, they also introduced a few of their own. Many people were disappointed that the 3900's didn't solve ALL of the 3800 issues.

Now that the 5400 series is released and contains every major piece of wide spread, largely accessible wireless technology (except perhaps for GPRS/GSM) (that's WiFi, BlueTooth, Serial IR and Consumer IR), people are disappointed with performance, battery life, etc. However, this unit does more than any other iPAQ previously did, so OF COURSE its going to be harder on the battery, especially if you have all of the wireless adapters turned on at once...

If you don't want or need WiFi and or BlueTooth, then you really need to consider what you'd do with this device. The major draw to this device is wireless LAN/ Internet Access and BlueTooth connectivity with other BT enabled devices. Serial and Consumer IR were available in the 3900 series devices.

If you won't use WiFi or BlueTooth (I don't use BT yet, but use WiFi every day), then I would pass on the 5400 and get a 3950/3955. The 3970/3975's have BlueTooth. If you have a BlueTooth enabled phone and are considering a 3970/3975, then I'd get the 5400. You'll most likely end up using WiFi at some point of you have it.

I have a 3955 as well as the 5455. The 3955 has 128MB of RAM thanks to Pocket PC Techs and I probably won't sell or trade it, as it will make a really good backup unit if my 5455 develops problems or somehow gets an upgrade via Pocket PC Techs (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/). I also have a Toshiba e310 (StrongARM 206, PPC 2002) that also has 128MB of RAM from PPCTechs. I'm keeping it for compatibility reasons. Its the only StrongARM processored PPC that I have left.

Bottom line, both are good units. Both iPAQ's (3900's and 5400's) have their quirks that will require soft resets to get around. However, most Pocket PC's do, and will until the OS is optimized and tighter. If you don't have any need for WiFi (most non-geeks don't use BlueTooth because it isn't a long distance wireless protocol. Its really meant for cable replacement only... keep that in mind) or you don't have a need for BlueTooth, then I would go with a 3950/3955.

The 3950/3955 are the same unit. The 3950 is sold by online retailers. The 3955 is sold by brick and mortar stores, but they may also offer it online. However, you'll like either unit you buy.

I hope all this yammering helped.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

hollis_f
02-07-2003, 08:39 AM
Looks like we're still following each other around, huh, Chris... :lol:

Chris is right, tho; and if he hadn't said it, I was going to. If you remember, when the 3900's came out, the expectation was that they would be the iPAQ that solved all the 3800's problems. They didn't, tho they went far to solve a great many, they also introduced a few of their own. Many people were disappointed that the 3900's didn't solve ALL of the 3800 issues.
I was one of those really disappointed with my 3850. But I believe my 3970 suffers from none of the problems that the 3850 had (cruddy screen, dodgy backlight and frozen stylus lock being the main ones). And I don't recall reading anybody saying they've been disappointed with the 3970. I'd be interested to hear what problems from the 3850 have carried over to the 3970.

IMNSHO it's the most stable pocket computer since my Psion.

I'd buy a 54xx if it weren't for the number of people I've read saying the screen, battery life (even without WiFi) and stability are worse that the 39xx.

jsanfordii
02-07-2003, 01:53 PM
I'd buy a 54xx if it weren't for the number of people I've read saying the screen, battery life (even without WiFi) and stability are worse that the 39xx.

I haven't had any problems with the screen. HP replaced my battery (next day air), and it's been perfect since. No problems with stability. A few quarks here and there, but I noticed similar things on the PPC Phone Edition before I broke it... I haven't had an iPaq before these two devices (just Palm OS machines), and I'm VERY happy with my new purchase. The Wireless has performed flawlessly, and I think it's pretty fast.

8O

bigkingfun
02-07-2003, 05:08 PM
For me personally, the deciding factor was the built-in wifi on the 5450. I use wifi every day so I wanted it built in rather than added with a card and expansion sleeve. I have the odd glitch with the 5450 that requires a soft reset, but no more so than I had with the Toshiba e740 prior to this. If I didn't need wifi, I would probably have gone with the 3970 instead.

As to the cell phone, I picked up a T68i when I got the 5450 and I've got mixed feelings about it. The bluetooth function more than makes up for anything I don't like, but I find the phone is really small for my hands. The buttons are a little small and I have to be very careful I don't miskey things. I had a Motorola P280 prior to this phone, and I liked the sound quality better on it. The T68i is pretty good, but I suppose because of it's small size, it's not quite as natural sounding. It's also not quite as good at keeping a signal in a weak area as the Motorola was. Having said that, it is still much better than any of my older phones were. My cell provider (Fido in Canada) has a 15 day return guarantee on new phones, so it was safe enough to pick one up and try it out. I ended up keeping it, mainly because I like the bluetooth so much. If you can get a similar return guarantee, I would pick one up to try it out for a few days and see if you like it.

Pony99CA
02-07-2003, 06:25 PM
I don't know what the screen problems are. I've heard something about a different screen manufacturer for the 5450 than the one that made the screens for the 3970, but I don't know much more.

As for battery life, what did you expect? The 3970 had a 1400 mah battery and the 5450 has a 1250 mah battery. The difference is that you can replace the batteries in the 5400 and get battery life as long as you want -- if you have sufficient batteries. :-) Making the battery removable took up some space, I assume, which meant a slighty lower capacity. I don't like that, of course, especially with WiFi now, but it's not unexpected.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned here is the audio levels. The 5450's audio is supposedly much quieter than the previous iPAQs. That would be a big problem for me, as I use GPS frequently and have to hear the directions. The next time I see a 5450 in a store, I'll have to transfer an MP3 over and compare the volume with my 3870.

Steve

Chris Spera
02-07-2003, 07:00 PM
The one thing I haven't seen mentioned here is the audio levels. The 5450's audio is supposedly much quieter than the previous iPAQs. That would be a big problem for me, as I use GPS frequently and have to hear the directions. The next time I see a 5450 in a store, I'll have to transfer an MP3 over and compare the volume with my 3870.

Steve

The volume level is SIGNIFICANTLY lower. I have both a 3955 and a 5455, and the volume on the 5400 is much softer. If I were you, I'd try hooking a CD/ Cassette adapter to the 5400 and pumping the audio thru your car stereo speakers. If that isn't possible, or isn't convenient, you and I are both out of luck as I listen to WMA's in the car quite often. Now that the earphone jack is moved, I think I am going to have to perform a little surgery on my RoadWriter cradle so that I can get an audio extenion cord into the jack.

Christopher Spera

hollis_f
02-07-2003, 07:55 PM
The volume level is SIGNIFICANTLY lower. I have both a 3955 and a 5455, and the volume on the 5400 is much softer. If I were you, I'd try hooking a CD/ Cassette adapter to the 5400 and pumping the audio thru your car stereo speakers. If that isn't possible, or isn't convenient, you and I are both out of luck as I listen to WMA's in the car quite often. Now that the earphone jack is moved, I think I am going to have to perform a little surgery on my RoadWriter cradle so that I can get an audio extenion cord into the jack.

Christopher SperaAh! Another reason not to get one. I use my 3970 for driving directions while listening to the radio. The 3970 at full whack has just enough volume so that I can hear directions over the radio. If it were any quieter I'd not hear it properly. And I couldn't listen to the radio if I used the casette adaptor.

hollis_f
02-07-2003, 07:57 PM
I'd buy a 54xx if it weren't for the number of people I've read saying the screen, battery life (even without WiFi) and stability are worse than the 39xx.
I don't know what the screen problems are. I've heard something about a different screen manufacturer for the 5450 than the one that made the screens for the 3970, but I don't know much more.
I've heard the screen is very good. It's just not as good as the one on the 3970.

Pony99CA
02-07-2003, 08:29 PM
The volume level is SIGNIFICANTLY lower. I have both a 3955 and a 5455, and the volume on the 5400 is much softer. If I were you, I'd try hooking a CD/ Cassette adapter to the 5400 and pumping the audio thru your car stereo speakers.
I've been doing that for over a year now. :-) I can listen to my directions while playing MP3s off of my iPAQ. The main issue will be if I'm in a car where I can't hook into the stereo (like last weekend when I went to San Francisco).

Is the audio only lower from the speakers, or is the headphone jack audio lower, too, compared to the 3970? If the headphone audio is lower, that could cause a problem in the car. With a cassette hookup, the volume from the GPS and MP3s will still be consistent, I assume, but I'll probably have to turn the car stereo up louder to hear them. I hope I won't blow my speakers when I switch back to the radio or CD. :-)

I listen to MP3s occasionally using the speaker on my 3870, and it's not that bad, but, even at full volume, it's not very loud.

As I said, I'll have to check it out at a store, I guess. :-(

Steve

Janak Parekh
02-07-2003, 09:02 PM
As for battery life, what did you expect? The 3970 had a 1400 mah battery and the 5450 has a 1250 mah battery.
I've heard, though, that the battery life is much less than the 3970, even with Wi-Fi off; something on the order of 30-40%.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned here is the audio levels.
Ditto. That was a killer for me. I use my organizer to play music all the time and like the fidelity and loudness of my 3870.

--janak

Pony99CA
02-07-2003, 09:24 PM
As for battery life, what did you expect? The 3970 had a 1400 mah battery and the 5450 has a 1250 mah battery.
I've heard, though, that the battery life is much less than the 3970, even with Wi-Fi off; something on the order of 30-40%.

That would be odd. I just did the math, and would expect an 11-12% drop in battery life. Are the people sure things were configured identifcally? For example, was IR reception and Bluetooth off in both devices?

Has there been any discussion of what could cause the lower battery life? Are the screens drawing more power, are the extra LEDs drawing power, etc.?

Steve

Janak Parekh
02-07-2003, 09:41 PM
That would be odd. I just did the math, and would expect an 11-12% drop in battery life.
That's my point - there are other forces at work. Theories currently vary all over the place, including but not limited to the fact that a different company is manufacturing these units.

--janak

Chris Spera
02-08-2003, 04:13 AM
Is the audio only lower from the speakers, or is the headphone jack audio lower, too, compared to the 3970? If the headphone audio is lower, that could cause a problem in the car.

My experience between the two is that the volume is lower all the way around, including the headphone jack.

Christopher Spera

jutae
02-09-2003, 02:11 PM
I was about to post a question on the two when I fell upon this thread. I have a 5455 and still am undecided. I too have a T68i. The main reasons I was considering the 5455 is the finger print security and built in blue tooth. I currently have a Pretec CF Blue Tooth card and want to ditch the need for my cf expansion + sleeve. How soon will the 5600 be released? I guess I'll try to wait for it. It'll be though.

Jutae

jutae
02-09-2003, 02:12 PM
I was about to post a question on the two when I fell upon this thread. I have a 5455 and still am undecided. I too have a T68i. The main reasons I was considering the 5455 is the finger print security and built in blue tooth. I currently have a Pretec CF Blue Tooth card and want to ditch the need for my cf expansion + sleeve. How soon will the 5600 be released? I guess I'll try to wait for it. It'll be though.

Jutae

..ooops, I mean I have a 3955

Chris Spera
02-10-2003, 02:47 AM
How soon will the 5600 be released? Jutae

The 5600 has been put on hold. There are FCC issues. I am not sure if it has been permanently scrapped or not; but it doesn't look good.

Chrisotpher Spera

alkandery75
02-10-2003, 10:18 PM
As of my last Visit to our HP Dealer here in Kuwait in the last few days. They are selling the 5450 as GSM/GPRS device, and they said that there will be a S/W update for it to enable this Function in the next 2-4 weeks, and they mention that in there invoice With the gaurantee for a Refund if that S/W Update does not come up in the next Month.

So, I think that the 5600 has been completely scrapped and the 5450 will replace it with S/W upgrade. That Make sense.

But, does the Hardware of the 5450 have GSM/GPRS in it ???

SassKwatch
02-10-2003, 10:44 PM
This is getting a little beyond my level of expertise, but.....

I picked up a 5455 today to replace a 38xx with a broken screen (thank you CompUSA!), and while playing around with it, I noticed in the 'Settings/Input/Options/Voice Recording Format' filed, one of the choices is....

'GSM 6.10
8,000 Hz, Mono (2 KB/s)'

alkandery75
02-10-2003, 11:03 PM
I read in a thread that WiFi Module is not that much differ than GSM/GPRS Module 8O . So, if you have WiFi then You can Switch it to GSM/GPRS. It is a matter of a Software :wink: .... I really hope it is as easy as this... And This is what my dealer saying here... Very good news till now... Lets wait for a few weeks and see.... :P :lol:

Janak Parekh
02-11-2003, 02:08 AM
No, which is why I can't quite understand what they have there. I'm pretty sure the 5450 doesn't have a software radio, but rather a hardwired WiFi/BT radio. I'd be very surprised to see any such software.

'GSM 6.10
8,000 Hz, Mono (2 KB/s)'
That's just a voice codec. It has nothing to do with the unit having a GSM radio, which it doesn't.

--janak

Pony99CA
02-11-2003, 08:08 AM
No, which is why I can't quite understand what they have there. I'm pretty sure the 5450 doesn't have a software radio, but rather a hardwired WiFi/BT radio. I'd be very surprised to see any such software.

I'd be surprised as well. WiFi works at 2.4 GHz, but GSM works at different frequencies, I believe. I don't know about CDMA, but that's probably less relevant for Kuwait. :-)

Also, the 5450 antenna is different than the one shown on the 5600 photo. I would think the antenna configuration would be important to reception.

Steve

Janak Parekh
02-11-2003, 08:37 AM
I'd be surprised as well. WiFi works at 2.4 GHz, but GSM works at different frequencies, I believe. I don't know about CDMA, but that's probably less relevant for Kuwait. :-)
Yes, cellular (GSM/CDMA/TDMA) frequencies are 800/900/1800/1900 and that's it--in 90% of the world.

Also, the 5450 antenna is different than the one shown on the 5600 photo. I would think the antenna configuration would be important to reception.
That too... I mentioned that once before. It is absolutely critical to have the precise correct size.

I think we can safely put that rumor to rest.

--janak