View Full Version : HELP! WMP only sound, no video!!

xendula
02-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Hi guys,

I browsed through all 20 pages of topics here but noone else posted on this yet.
If I am trying to view higher resolution videos (705 kbps) on the Windows Media Player it will ONLY play the sound, lower res. (230 kbps) plays audio AND video, but the video is REALLY bad quality!
No matter whether the video is on the Ipaq itself or on the SD card.

Is there some kind of trick to it? Anyone else ever had problems of the kind??

I would be grateful for any help!!!!!! :(

BTW, I am using the IPAQ 3870 with WMP 8

TopDog
02-04-2003, 09:04 PM
What kind of movie, do you know the resolution?

I'v experienced this before with a home made movie. Used MS MovieMaker and converted the resolution to a choice called "PocketPC", and now it plays excelent!!!

You have the Media Player 8.5 right? I saw a big difference from 8.0 to 8.5 in this area!

guinness
02-04-2003, 09:14 PM
There's a limitation on how high of a bitrate you can encode at on PPC's, WMP isn't the best anyways; I use Virtual Dub to encode my movies as Divx-encoded .avi's, quality is better at fullscreen, I get about 15 fps compared to .wmv files which I only got 8 fps. I think I encode usually around 250 - 300 kbps and I use Pocket MVP to view them, which can also play .mpg and .mp3.

xendula
02-04-2003, 11:37 PM
Hello and thanks!

I try to view short videos that I record with my digicam as avi's in the first place. Since I had no clue about nothing, I thought I had to change format for the media player. And I understand why it did not work with the higher resolution now.

I am still using WMP 8. Since so many people's devices seem to mess up after installing and de-installing apps I am a little scared to try out new things on my baby, and, so far WMP8 was enough. Until now, that is.

There is no PPC res. option on my Windows Movie Maker (hey, I am not a MS fan myself, but it's free.. and it just so happened to be on my PC), maybe because it's an older version.
But I'll give Media Player 8.5 a try, if you say there is some difference.

Downloaded Pocket MVP, will try it out right away, so thanks alot to both of you and greeting from cold, rainy Germany!