View Full Version : Slow file transfer through Cradle

mekmek
02-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Why are file transfers through the cradle so slow?

I find that moving files (such as MP3s) to the storage card on my Axim takes about 10 times as long when I try to transfer through the Axim itself, as opposed to moving the storage card to a USB reader and transfering the files directly. In fact I never use the Axim in the cradle to load my CF card. I take out the CF card and put it into my ZIO USB reader instead.

It is awkward to keep having to move the CF card all the time. The Axim is plugged into the same USB controller as the CF card.

Is this the same with all PPCs, or is there a setting I am missing? It is awkward to keep having to move the CF card all the time. The Axim is plugged into the same USB controller as the CF card.

WindWalker
02-04-2003, 08:05 AM
Is this the same with all PPCs, or is there a setting I am missing? It is awkward to keep having to move the CF card all the time. The Axim is plugged into the same USB controller as the CF card.

Unfortunately, this is true of all Pocket PCs. This kind of file move is hideously slow through the cradle or cable connection.

dean_shan
02-04-2003, 08:16 AM
I don't have a card reader so I just use wifi to transfer data. It's much faster.

Pony99CA
02-04-2003, 03:21 PM

My understanding is that, while the physical connection is USB, the logical connection is serial, so you're probably only getting 115 Kbps. Microsoft supposedly emulated serial transfers over USB instead of using native USB (probably because the first Windows CE devices only supported serial connections, so it was easier to support both USB and serial connections by doing it this way).

Unfortunately, it's the same for all Pocket PCs (and likely all Windows CE 3.x devices). :-( I hope that will change with Windows CE 4.x.

Steve

mirkazemisaman
02-05-2003, 03:53 AM

My understanding is that, while the physical connection is USB, the logical connection is serial, so you're probably only getting 115 Kbps. Microsoft supposedly emulated serial transfers over USB instead of using native USB (probably because the first Windows CE devices only supported serial connections, so it was easier to support both USB and serial connections by doing it this way).

Unfortunately, it's the same for all Pocket PCs (and likely all Windows CE 3.x devices). :-( I hope that will change with Windows CE 4.x.

Steve

Please get me out of this maddness!?!?! What's Windows CE 4.x all about? Did you just mean the next OS, or do you have details about the CE 4?

PapaSmurfDan
02-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Please get me out of this maddness!?!?! What's Windows CE 4.x all about? Did you just mean the next OS, or do you have details about the CE 4?

You can learn all about it here, straight from MS. (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Embedded/ce.NET/evaluation/whatsnew/cenet41.asp) The real question is when will PPC 2004 be released using WinCE 4.1? From what I can tell and know about WinCE3.0, the limtation is in ActiveSync, not the OS anymore. I will agree, it is annoying to try and fill a card up via ActiveSync but there is not much you can do other than pop it out and fill up via a card reader.

-Dan