View Full Version : Review-Accessory-DualSS3

The Half-Ling
02-04-2003, 07:12 AM
**Written by me for Spam-CE.com

Dual Silver Slider III (GM's MemPlug Modification)
www.silverslider.biz
By: The Half-Ling

First Impressions:
After months and months of use out of my MadeByWhitney Krussel CF Case (www.madebywhitney.com) and a new fingerprint scanner on my iPAQ, I decided it was time to make use of some unreachable features on my iPAQ (fingerprint scanner), and the only way to make this possible was with a new case. I decided that I would keep my 512 megs of CF, instead of whopping down extra money for slower SD :-p so after careful searching I decided upon a Silver Slider work of art by GM...
instead of going for a Single Slot thin CF expansion, I went ahead a got a small Dual SS 3 slider, as it's size was still smaller than the Compaq CF Case and it had twice the range of ability...

http://www.spam-ce.com/reviews/ACCESS_DUALSS3/dual1.jpg

CF Quality:
CF Quality Closely compares to that of a MemPlug, as this case is basically a modified memplug with a sleeker and sexier design and thinner arms...I have only tired memory in the case, but I plan to at one point use the top slot as some sort of expansion...Two slots on case:
Top Slot (where normal Compaq CF Case slot would be) is a Type 1/2 CF slot
Side Slot (in the lower left hand side of the case <when facing case>) is as I understand a Type 1 only slot

Currently I have 512 megabyte Mr. Flash CF Card in Side Slot, while top slot remains empty...waiting for something nice to slide in, used 128 meg sandisk CF for a bit...

On iPAQ's File Explorer, CF Slots show up as (Slot1; and Slot2) not Storage Card!
I like this better, easier path names to enter, plus StorageCard; StorageCard2; StorageCard3 would look weird as I use 128 meg SD card also!

http://www.spam-ce.com/reviews/ACCESS_DUALSS3/dual2.jpg

Casewise:
The main reason I bought my silver slider was to use it as a new case for my iPAQ, I stole the Plastic Screen Cover from my iPAQ Cover Pack and put it on my Silver Slider to protect Screen. the case also allows for easy fingerprint reader access...IT LOOKS GREAT! as usual, the silver slider color matchese that of the iPAQ perfectly so the case looks like part of the machine! also, I love the little logo on the back...looks like a hebrew modified PI symbol ;) Only things that bug me are as a case, plastic scratches easier than leather so when my teacher in class comes by while i am playing an exciting game of Gangsta Race I am hesitant on chucking the ipaq upside down onto my desk :-p but that can't be helped and so far i havn't gotten any scratches, just a mind preoccupation! It is kindof hard to hold iPAQ with plastic case cover hehe it opens like a book and I like to have my hand on the back of the unit...NOTHING MAJOR! I love the case so far...and the sleek sexy design makes it oh so nice...so far i have gotten more compliements about the case than about the iPAQ lol
Easy cradle access; good screen cover; nice look; thin; two CF slots; form fitting; what more could you ask

->WOW! nice case, where'd you get it
<-GM, Silver slider, wanna see something cool check it out Fingerprint reader
->look at the color of the case...what's that ugly thing in it
<-THATS THE #### MACHINE YOU BUTTHOLE!

right about then I start bashing whoever it is i am talking to with the silver slider (yet another great function of it ;) LOL)

http://www.spam-ce.com/reviews/ACCESS_DUALSS3/dual3.jpg

Summary:
This has become my main iPAQ case...it rocks...i don't even use 2 cf cards and I am still attached! recommened buy to ANYONE who wants storage or wifi...1/10 of the size of those bulcky dual PC Card slots ;) No offense spam/putin I understand why you need compensation ;) ;) :D:D JOKING JOKING! **i hope everyone gets that joke** ;) This case will be attached to me once GM modify's it to fit the Extended iPAQ battery's 2500 mah! DROOL DROOL~!~

Apprication: 9.5/10 Thanks to this case, Silver Slider's are back in my hand ;)
**Hope you Enjoy**

Jake

P.S. Didn't know where elase to put this

ipaq38vette
02-05-2003, 03:23 AM
Ok, how much does it cost??

Janak Parekh
02-05-2003, 06:03 AM
Nice review. One tip/point:

It is kindof hard to hold iPAQ with plastic case cover hehe it opens like a book and I like to have my hand on the back of the unit...NOTHING MAJOR!
You get used to this. In fact, what you can do is to let the plastic cover, when opened, float between your thumb and forefinger; the thumb rests on the front of the iPaq, the fingers wrap around the back, and you "support" the hinge by the area between the thumb and the forefinger. I've found this to be, by far, the optimal way of holding the device and not feel like it's about to slip out of my hand.

--janak

The Half-Ling
02-05-2003, 08:22 PM
it's pretty cheap for a Silver Slider, about 100 bucks :)

Jake

Eitel
02-06-2003, 01:06 AM
The Dual SS is great. I even went further and told GM to add a leather case.

http://www.islabonita.org/ss/DSCF0068.JPG

http://www.islabonita.org/ss/DSCF0077.JPG