View Full Version : Pocket Nester - NES Emulation

Jason Dunn
02-02-2003, 10:38 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://jetech.org/' target='_blank'>http://jetech.org/</a><br /><br /></div>Looking for some retro gaming action? Then check out Pocket Nester - I've never been a huge fan of retro gaming because it always seemed that the emulators were buggy, didn't map the controls properly, etc. Pocket Nester is very slick - I was playing Rampage in no time! This is by far the best NES emulator I've tried, so if you want to take a trip down memory lane, check this out.

Fzara
02-02-2003, 11:09 PM
Has anyone tried this? Is it better than PocketNES? PocketNES seems like the best one so far.

kagayaki1
02-02-2003, 11:28 PM
The discussion board on PocketGamer is quite lively with comparisons, but general consesnsus is this is a VERY good emu, and possibly better than PocketNES, especially with overall speed on many games. Indeed, there are some games (Ice Hockey, PunchOUT! [which supposedly doesn't run well either on this Pocket Nester]) that just lag behind, but this seems to bring some things up to a more even playing field.

-Jason

Rirath
02-02-2003, 11:29 PM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8101

Believe me, it beats PokeNES. Anything beats PokeNES. The real question is, does it beat YAME? Well, I'm keeping both but I'm truly rooting for PocketNester.

Vincent M Ferrari
02-02-2003, 11:29 PM
I've tried both and Pocket Nester kills it in speed. The games play at their original juicy framerates... It's a beautiful thing.

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
02-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Good FPS and full sound on my e310 =^_^=
Free software, w00ty :3

spursdude
02-02-2003, 11:41 PM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8101

Believe me, it beats PokeNES. Anything beats PokeNES. The real question is, does it beat YAME? Well, I'm keeping both but I'm truly rooting for PocketNester.

Out of curiosity, Rirath, why do you call it PokeNES instead of PocketNES?

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
02-02-2003, 11:52 PM
I'm using my pocketop keyboard and the pocket PC e310 is in portrait mode in on the stand. I can use the button mapper under options to set a key on the keyboard to controls. This way, I don't have to suffer from not being able to hit two hardware buttons at a time =^_^=;;
It's still neat to play NES games on the e310 like a gameboy, though.

dcharles18
02-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Finally, turbo buttons!!!! I can play Track & Field 2 again.

That's actually the name of it. Take a look at your screen next time you fire it up.

Mobile Mike
02-03-2003, 12:50 AM
where do you get the software to run with the emulator? Does it have to be a special version of the game to run with this emulator or do all of the emulators run the same games?

Vincent M Ferrari
02-03-2003, 01:35 AM
The generally available .NES games (the ones for Nesticle for example) work a ok...

Mobile Mike
02-03-2003, 03:15 AM
Are these the same games that will run on a desktop or are the ported over specially for the PPC?

spursdude
02-03-2003, 03:40 AM
Are these the same games that will run on a desktop or are the ported over specially for the PPC?

Same ol' same ol'. If it's a NES rom, it will probably work on your PPC without any changes needed.

Mobile Mike
02-03-2003, 04:18 AM
Is there a good emulator out for Sega Genesis games?

Rirath
02-03-2003, 04:33 AM

Just the Otaku within screaming to be heard as usual. Never honestly thought about it.
At any rate, as dcharles18 says... it's the name.

MobileMike, perhaps you should search the forum a bit for your answers, or start a new thread in the software section of the forums. But to sum up, any NES game will play. We can't and won't link to roms, you'll have to find them yourself. A very select few don't run right. There's a genesis emulator, but no real proof it runs on the Axim. There are an awful lot of emulators out there, for an awful lot of machines.

jk
02-03-2003, 05:21 AM
I don't know but I have found YAME to be an awesome emulator. I have played Zelda 2, Baseball, Bionic Commando so on and so forth and all seem to run perfect. Does this new nester beat YAME?

Rirath
02-03-2003, 05:25 AM
jk, read the first few posts. For that matter, just try it and decide for yourself then let us know what you think.

Kaber
02-03-2003, 05:42 AM
Can anyone tell me if there is any significant feature differences between PokeNES and this one? Guesses at performance differences aside, I am really satisfied with PokeNES and everyone who I show it to is really impressed.

It says PokeNES when you start the app, thats why some call it that.

If a SuperNES emulator came out that did as well as PokeNES I'd be in heaven. As it stands, I can play Super Metroid on Pocket SNES/Bleeding Edge but it still can't do sound too well.

qgman
02-03-2003, 05:52 AM
Can anyone tell me if there is any significant feature differences between PokeNES and this one? Guesses at performance differences aside, I am really satisfied with PokeNES and everyone who I show it to is really impressed.

The significant feature differences is that this runs much faster. I have an E125 and it seems to run most games at close to full speed with sound -- just like they did on the original console NES. I highly recommend this; it's much better than any of the alternatives.

simzz1
02-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Is PocketNES the only emulator with soft A and B buttons for those of us who cannot simultaneously press run and jump for example?
If so, I will have to stay with PocketNES. :cry:

sponge
02-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Why not e-mail them and see what they say?

Kaber
02-03-2003, 05:51 PM
The significant feature differences is that this runs much faster. I have an E125 and it seems to run most games at close to full speed with sound -- just like they did on the original console NES. I highly recommend this; it's much better than any of the alternatives.

Um... thats exactly what I wasn't asking.

I havn't played a game on PokeNES I thought was considerably slowed down, and almost all the sounds play and sound good so I'm not worried if it gets another 2 or 3 frames. I've heard the ipaq isn't capable of more than 30 FPS anyway and all my NES games play about that fast.

I heard someone mention turbo buttons. I was asking more along those lines. Guess I'll just have to try it myself. :P

Rirath
02-03-2003, 06:47 PM
That's what you should have done to begin with. He gave you the right answer, if you want to hear it or not is another story.

claytonl
02-03-2003, 07:40 PM
I tried it briefly, and the impression I get is that it doesn't respond to multiple button presses. Is it the emulator or it is just the Toshiba e740?

I am under the impression that one can do multiple button presses on the e740. Am I wrong? :?:

Kaber
02-04-2003, 12:29 AM
That's what you should have done to begin with. He gave you the right answer, if you want to hear it or not is another story.

That was a totally unnecessary post... but I guess this reply is also.

And like I said, someones guess at performance improvement without benchmarks isn't a feature, its an opinion. And I think we all know what opinions are like, Rirath.

marchaa
02-04-2003, 01:18 AM
I have downloaded yame and nester. But for the life of me I cannot get them on my Axim. And I haven't found any specific instructions for the pocket pc. I have tried placing the program file on my ppc. But it says it is an unsupported format... Please help

mavx5
02-04-2003, 01:58 AM
I currently have YAME on my Dell Axim and it works beautifully. I have got several NES game to work under it. Well, to "install" it just simply copy over the executible file and "click" on it in explorer and there ya go.

PetiteFlower
02-04-2003, 06:18 AM
I ran the .exe on my desktop and activesync copied it over to the PPC no problem. The roms(which I did find, yay) I had to copy over manually....they have to be in the Mobile Device directory or in the Business/Personal/etc subdirectories. Pretty easy to figure out.

Vincent M Ferrari
02-04-2003, 07:05 AM
I tried it briefly, and the impression I get is that it doesn't respond to multiple button presses. Is it the emulator or it is just the Toshiba e740?

I am under the impression that one can do multiple button presses on the e740. Am I wrong? :?:

Just got my Toshiba E330 today, and oddly enough, I noticed the same thing. It wasn't a problem on my Maestro (or at least not one that I noticed), but it is now...

Might be the hardware :(

Kaber
02-04-2003, 07:43 PM
After trying it, I'm going to stick with PokeNES. I need the software buttons because the tiny buttons on my ipaq 3955 just don't cut it while trying to play Punch Out. And, Nester won't even play the Punch Out rom I have. It scrambles the graphics and puts all kinds of numbers on the screen. PokeNES plays it just fine with sync'd sound and a good framerate.

jojo
02-05-2003, 01:27 PM
I've just downloaded PocketNester, unzipped the file and install it. When I tried to run it, it says" Cannot find 'PocketNester' (or one of its components), make sure the path and filename are correct and all the required libraries are available"

Am I missing something there? I'm using an ipaq 36xx... and I downloaded the right version. This is my first try with emulators... is there certain library that i may need?