View Full Version : Any value? Broken screen e310

neil ivymount
02-02-2003, 07:09 PM
I have an e310 with a cracked screen. It works, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the $129 Toshiba wants to replace the screen. Does the unit have any value as is?

dotcomguy
02-02-2003, 08:31 PM
I have an e310 with a cracked screen. It works, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the $129 Toshiba wants to replace the screen. Does the unit have any value as is?
It has some value. I mean, if you don't want it, you might find someone willing to buy it off you for a small price who wouldn't mind paying the $129 to get it repaired for themself to use. However, if you still want a working PDA, you may be better off just going ahead and paying the money to get it fixed.

pocketpcdude1024
02-02-2003, 11:42 PM

The same thing happened to me! However, I paid the $130. You see, I bond with my Pocket PCs, and if the screen cracks, I don't care if I can buy a newer, better, faster Pocket PC for less than it would cost to repair it, I'll repair it. I can't just shun someone that has been a key component of my life.

Then again, how much of a life do I have if I spend all my time posting at this site? :wink:

Steve (I know you're reading this), I think that since this person is trying to sell their broken e310, it should go in the "Buy & Sell" catagory, hmm? (Mr. Cedrone loves to lock threads, delete posts, and move threads from one catagory to another, right Steve? :lol: )

Janak Parekh
02-03-2003, 01:54 AM
Then again, how much of a life do I have if I spend all my time posting at this site? :wink:
Not as much as me. :)

Steve (I know you're reading this), I think that since this person is trying to sell their broken e310, it should go in the "Buy & Sell" catagory, hmm?
Not yet. Neil hasn't actually decided what to do at this point, I think.

Neil - in my personal opinion, I wouldn't pay too much for a broken-screen E310. It's a perceptual thing - not only is the device used, but not currently functional. Maybe that's just me?

--janak

pocketpcdude1024
02-03-2003, 01:58 AM
Not as much as me. :)

Can't argue with that! :lol:

Delta737
02-03-2003, 06:58 AM
Just buy the Dell Axim for $199. That way you have a brand new one, and you only have to pay $70 extra.... I think that's the best solution

Steven Cedrone
02-03-2003, 02:36 PM
Mr. Cedrone loves to lock threads, delete posts, and move threads from one catagory to another, right Steve?

Hey, are you tryin' to bait me? :wink:

Steve

pocketpcdude1024
02-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Mr. Cedrone loves to lock threads, delete posts, and move threads from one catagory to another, right Steve?

Hey, are you tryin' to bait me? :wink:

Steve

Yep! :lol: Just be thankfull that your name is easy to spell! "Hansberry" and "Parekh" are difficult to spell, and sometimes I have to literally copy their name from the thread to my post! :D

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
02-06-2003, 02:46 AM
If my e310 screen ever broke, but the rest still functioned, I'd just use it for digital music. I'd navigate using the microsoft remote display control, uncradle, and run off =>_>=

kneibert
02-08-2003, 10:42 PM
I cracked the screen on my Palm IIIc last year, which I guess turned out to be a good thing, since it ultimately led to my switching to the PPC camp with the e310. My IIIc has been sitting in a drawer ever since.

Just buy the Dell Axim for $199. That way you have a brand new one, and you only have to pay $70 extra.... I think that's the best solution
I'd go for the Axim as well. Might as well get the newest technology if you have to spend the cash anyway...

dotcomguy
02-08-2003, 11:06 PM
On a similar vein, you should always get an extended warranty with your PDA. It's a worthwhile investment. I got one for my first PDA and it saved me when the screen cracked. I just got one for my new e740. I stopped in at Staples today and asked (what I thought to be a stupid question) if the warranty included in their 'PDA accessory kit' would cover PDA's that weren't bought there. I was told it does and bought it on the spot. They sell a kit that has a case, extra stylii, and screen protectors that includes a 2-year warranty that covers screen replacement all for $50. I was quite pleased since a similar warranty from Toshiba is $150. :D

kneibert
02-09-2003, 12:04 AM
Interesting. Does that mean I can buy the kit for $50 and use the warranty to repair the screen on my 2-year old IIIc? Not that I plan on going back to the Palm world, but it would make a nice gift for someone...

dotcomguy
02-09-2003, 12:16 AM
Interesting. Does that mean I can buy the kit for $50 and use the warranty to repair the screen on my 2-year old IIIc? Not that I plan on going back to the Palm world, but it would make a nice gift for someone...
I forgot to mention the one caveat that the PDA must still be under the manufacturer's warranty. I'm assuming it isn't if it's two years old. Sorry. :\

kneibert
02-09-2003, 12:20 AM
Rats. :(

neil ivymount
02-11-2003, 07:15 PM
That would seem to mean that I could buy the $50 kit and have my e310 fixed, wouldn't it?

dotcomguy
02-12-2003, 01:54 PM
That would seem to mean that I could buy the $50 kit and have my e310 fixed, wouldn't it?
. . . only if it's still under warranty