View Full Version : Anyone having problems with Axim and WinXP Pro?

VanHlebar
02-02-2003, 06:28 PM
I am having all kinds of trouble keeping my Axim connected while in the cradle at home. I run WinXP Pro at home and Win98 at the office. At the office I can put the Axim in the cradle and it will stay connected all day.

Just in the past ten minutes sitting here working on my computer, my Axim just plain won't stay connected. It will go all the way through the Sync proccess and then it discconects at the end. I have tried soft resetting the Axim, rebooting the desktop all to no avail.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
-Eric

dartman
02-02-2003, 06:33 PM
No problems here with Win XP Pro. Use it all day, every day.

Are ou using a USB hub? Some people have had problems not going directly into a USB port.

dart

RamonT
02-02-2003, 06:38 PM
I'm using XP Pro at home and Win2000 at work and haven't had any problems. I don't know what to tell you

shawnc
02-02-2003, 06:53 PM
I use W/XP at home with no problems at all maintaining sync with my Axim. Unfortunately we use W/NT at work (no USB support :evil: ) so I can't comment on that.

IntegraPrelude98
02-02-2003, 07:21 PM
I use xp pro on my computer and have no problems. I was having problems on my parents computer though, it keep disconnectinn on me just like you were saying. I found out the problem was due to the firewall program on their computer (ZONE ALARM). I know it sounds odd, but I read somewhere that some firewall programs, zone alarm especially, can cause problems with ports that active sync is using. All i know is that when i disabled that program active sync was fine. I dont know if this is the same issue you are having, but maybe that will help you.

TheBacklash
02-02-2003, 07:38 PM
It will go all the way through the Sync proccess and then it discconects at the end.

That sounds like the settings on your Axim is set to disconnect after sync...

When it's not connected go to activesync and check to see if the box is checked or not.

VanHlebar
02-02-2003, 07:43 PM
I use xp pro on my computer and have no problems. I was having problems on my parents computer though, it keep disconnectinn on me just like you were saying. I found out the problem was due to the firewall program on their computer (ZONE ALARM). I know it sounds odd, but I read somewhere that some firewall programs, zone alarm especially, can cause problems with ports that active sync is using. All i know is that when i disabled that program active sync was fine. I dont know if this is the same issue you are having, but maybe that will help you.

I wonder if this could be my problem. I run Sygate Personal Firewall on my machine here at the house, but we have a hard firewall at the office. I guess I will have to look into this part of it. Since, it will connect and stay connected for a period of time once in a while.

Thanks all for the quick replies!

-Eric

Rirath
02-02-2003, 09:48 PM
None at all here.

Underwater Mike
02-02-2003, 11:35 PM
Well, when I had XP home on my notebook, I could get sync wirelessly via WiFi. Now that I've changed over to XP Pro (low-level format and clean install of everything), I can't get the notebook and PPC to connect via WiFi. Even though the Axim is trying to connect, I can't get the notebook to see anything. (Yes, I've enabled network sync in the AS options.)

Any suggestions -- other than giving up -- would be appreciated.

Steven Cedrone
02-02-2003, 11:59 PM
Well, when I had XP home on my notebook, I could get sync wirelessly via WiFi. Now that I've changed over to XP Pro (low-level format and clean install of everything), I can't get the notebook and PPC to connect via WiFi. Even though the Axim is trying to connect, I can't get the notebook to see anything. (Yes, I've enabled network sync in the AS options.)

Any suggestions -- other than giving up -- would be appreciated.

Did you sync at least once using serial/usb???

Steve

Underwater Mike
02-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Did you sync at least once using serial/usb???

Steve

USB is the ONLY way I've been able to sync. So, no, that's not it.

Everything's set up as it used to be with XP Home on the notebook; ditto with the Axim. This just beats the hell out of me.

TheBacklash
02-03-2003, 04:59 AM
when I just recently switched to XP Pro I also could not sync via wi-fi.

Stupid me... I named my computer the exact same as my Dell. Don't ask how, must have forgot...

But I had the exact same problem, would not sync via W-Fi for nothing. until I realized what I had done, and renamed the Dell. that cleared itup and has worked perfectly ever since.

BTW: can you access the internet with Wi-Fi on the Dell? but just can't sync? Thats what threw me for a while... could access the net, just couldn't sync for nothing.

Janak Parekh
02-03-2003, 05:02 AM
VanHlebar,

This thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5401&highlight=) may be of some use to you. She eventually ended up buying a new USB card.

--janak

Underwater Mike
02-03-2003, 01:08 PM
That's me all over: Access the Web but not sync. I even made sure the WINS names were entered identially in both the notebook and PPC (all cpas, since I think it's case-sensitive) but still nothing.

when I just recently switched to XP Pro I also could not sync via wi-fi.

Stupid me... I named my computer the exact same as my Dell. Don't ask how, must have forgot...

But I had the exact same problem, would not sync via W-Fi for nothing. until I realized what I had done, and renamed the Dell. that cleared itup and has worked perfectly ever since.

BTW: can you access the internet with Wi-Fi on the Dell? but just can't sync? Thats what threw me for a while... could access the net, just couldn't sync for nothing.

Sslixtis
02-03-2003, 04:14 PM
I'm having the exact same problem with The Axim and XP Home. I can surf the web via WiFi just not Sync. The weird thing is that I did manage to Sync a couple of times now I can't! I don't recall changing anything!?! :roll:

Janak Parekh
02-03-2003, 04:39 PM
This is kind of off-topic, but I'll give you guys the same recommendation I gave to Pony99CA: Are you using Pocket Hosts (http://www.zimac.de/cestuff.htm)? As a test, can you ping the desktop from the Pocket PC by name (using vxUtil (http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html))? I would suggest you set up the desktop as an entry in your Pocket Hosts instead of playing with the WINS field. I've managed to get most people syncing this way.

--janak

Sslixtis
02-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Yep, using Pocket Hosts and can ping the desktop, I can even get to the net just not sync wirelessly. It asks for a user name, password, and domain name for some reason. :? Got me.

Underwater Mike
02-03-2003, 06:57 PM
Janak,

Pocket Hosts is a great idea, but unfortunately I can't use it because I'm behind a NAT gateway (both PPC and PC) which is itself getting a dynamic IP from my cable provider. Again, though, this is no change from the situation before the XP Home > XP Pro migration.

BTW, I already tried vxUtil to ping the notebook using the WINS name, rather than the IP (which, since it's dynamic, I never know in advance). Ping WORKS FINE: 5-7ms times with no problem. It's only ActiveStink that doesn't perform. :x

This is kind of off-topic, but I'll give you guys the same recommendation I gave to Pony99CA: Are you using Pocket Hosts (http://www.zimac.de/cestuff.htm)? As a test, can you ping the desktop from the Pocket PC by name (using vxUtil (http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html))? I would suggest you set up the desktop as an entry in your Pocket Hosts instead of playing with the WINS field. I've managed to get most people syncing this way.

--janak

Underwater Mike
02-04-2003, 01:39 AM
Update:

Even though I could ping by WINS name (not just IP), and knowing that two levels of dynamic IP assignment (cable modem and gateway) might render my efforts moot, I installed Pocket Hosts and mapped my notebook's current IP to the WINS name. Soft reset the PPC and... NOTHING. :cry:

BTW, I also can ping the PPC from the notebook.

Any other ideas?

Janak Parekh
02-04-2003, 02:36 AM
Any other ideas?
Not off the top of my head. :( It's hard to do remotely, and the two of you are special cases. ;)

Here's a few last things I can think of for the two of you:

Are you running any firewall software perchance? If so, try turning that off. (Not referring to the router, of course, since both machines are inside the router.) Also, when you ping by name, does the correct private IP show up?

--janak

Underwater Mike
02-04-2003, 02:52 AM
Pinging the notebook by name from the PPC does indeed give me the correct private IP for the notebook. And, I'm actually ahead or you: I've re-checked at every step to make sure that XP's firewall functionality is OFF. I'm about at the end of my rope. I'm trying one more time by uninstalling and reinstalling ActiveStink, although that hasn't worked before.

IMO, this is a perfect example of why remote assistance was created -- too bad there's no one at MSFT to assist me remotely! (FYI, I tried calling already and was referred to (1) Dell and (2) Linksys, even though it's AS that's giving me problems.)

UPDATE: As expected, removing and reinstalling both AS and the WCF12 drivers on the PPC did nothing to resolve the problem.

Any other ideas?
Not off the top of my head. :( It's hard to do remotely, and the two of you are special cases. ;)

Here's a few last things I can think of for the two of you:

Are you running any firewall software perchance? If so, try turning that off. (Not referring to the router, of course, since both machines are inside the router.) Also, when you ping by name, does the correct private IP show up?

--janak

TheBacklash
02-04-2003, 08:32 AM
If you have a firewall of any kind blocking your PPC from snycing... it will also block it from getting on the net, thats the whole reason of a firewall...

Firewall is not an issue.

I never use wins.... IP's are all you need.
If your running multiple programs, say like pocket hosts, your making it more complicated than it needs to be.

think it through...

Activesync works when cradled.
your Wi-Fi works, just won't sync over Wi-Fi.
you can ping the PPC by name and by IP.

all the extra software in the world won't help you.... It's somewhere in your settings. Activesync on your computer, or on your PPC, or your Wi-Fi settings. I'm thinking Activesync settings.
Check your settings/names etc. sometimes (most times) it's the little checkbox you skipped over (or whatever else) because your trying to find that big mistake/problem... when in fact it's that little simple thing thats the problem...

But without being there to see your setup in person... :?

It's not a Win XP Pro problem... I run it. and so do others here, and we sync with the dell over Wi-Fi all the time.

One thing that I remember you saying is that you sync it with two computers...Don't know if that makes any difference to Activesync, maybe it's trying to find the computer at work... and not your computer at home first... hence the problems with wi-fi syncing. Check the activesync settings, makesure it's trying to find your XP Pro computer first.

Acctualy, I bet you thats the problem... It's looking for the other computer to sync too. :idea:

Underwater Mike
02-04-2003, 01:35 PM
I'm syncing with only one computer, and set up the partnership on the notebook that way, too, to wipe out any earlier partnership info on the PPC.

I know it must be the settings -- BUT WHICH ONE? THe thing that really cooks my bird is that everything worked great with XP Home...

Acctualy, I bet you thats the problem... It's looking for the other computer to sync too. :idea:

Janak Parekh
02-04-2003, 04:41 PM
If you have a firewall of any kind blocking your PPC from snycing... it will also block it from getting on the net, thats the whole reason of a firewall...
Not necessarily. I was talking a PC-only software firewall. These often allow common outgoing connection types. ActiveSync uses weird ports, and moreso is inbound, so most software firewalls would block such connection attempts.

But that's not his problem anyway.

--janak

Sslixtis
02-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Ok, so let's try simple question. I can get on the net but not wirelessly Sync. Here's the message I keep getting when I start ActiveSync 1) I get the network log on screen (I have no user name or password set) I press ok and after trying to connect to the network I get 2) Trouble Connecting-VPN server problems, please reconnect and verify user name and password. Ok so I don't think I have a user name set but if I did where would I check? :oops:

Underwater Mike
02-04-2003, 07:25 PM
How would you specify the host machine using IP and not WINS? When I look in AS on the PPC, the drop-down menu under "Include PC when Synchronizing remotely and connect to:" gives me only the WINS name of my notebook -- which is, BTW, "NOTEBOOK" -- and no option to enter either another WINS name or an IP number.

:devilboy: EVIL ActiveSync!

If your running multiple programs, say like pocket hosts, your making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Hypothetically, would there be any benefit of going through the nightmare of a hard reset and full reload of everything? :cry: :cry: :cry:

TheBacklash
02-05-2003, 01:25 AM
Since Win2k came out I have NEVER inputed ANYTHING into the Wins tab on either the PPC or any desktop to connect to anything. When I ran NT4 networks, I hated WINS.

the name you get is not by way of Wins addressing...
All WINS is is a way of transfering NetBIOS names to an IP address. Something Win2k and XP both do without WINS...

If your running WINS on the PPC, try clearing the IP's from your WINS section of your Wi-Fi cards settings, there is no reason to use them if your running an entirely MS network...

From Technet:

Windows 2000 DNS uses hierarchical fully qualified domain names (FQDNs) rather than the flat NetBIOS naming conventions supported by WINS. However, WINS provides an important service for network administrators with heterogeneous systems supporting clients running older operating systems, such as Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0. These older systems do support DNS name resolution but do not support dynamic updates to DNS records.

While WINS servers are not needed in a network consisting entirely of Windows 2000–based computers, they are crucial for any network containing computers based on the older architectures of Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98, or Windows 95.
(same would apply for XP networks... XP *IS* Win2k, with improvements.)

This is why I don't think you need to worry about Wins period... Are you running a network in your house with NT4,and Win9x along with your Win XP Pro computer? if so then keep wins around if you like. If not, DUMP Wins....Who knows, it may be part of the problem.

If all you have at home is your XP computer... and nothing else. Just that and your PPC, I can see the problem being Wins itself. Where's the Server? :?: XP Pro can't be a server...

TheBacklash
02-05-2003, 01:27 AM
How would you specify the host machine using IP and not WINS? When I look in AS on the PPC, the drop-down menu under "Include PC when Synchronizing remotely and connect to:" gives me only the WINS name of my notebook -- which is, BTW, "NOTEBOOK" -- and no option to enter either another WINS name or an IP number.

:devilboy: EVIL ActiveSync!

Hypothetically, would there be any benefit of going through the nightmare of a hard reset and full reload of everything? :cry: :cry: :cry:

BTW: the Wins address settings are NOT in AS...

Go to the settings of your Wi-Fi card. there you will find your settings for IP and Wins/DNS

If all you have is the one PC, use it as the Default Gateway, and you DNS servers from your internet connection. (but you did this cause you can reach the net...) Your PPC gets the NetBios Name for your computer after you sync it... then you select that name as your computer to host to remotely... it didn't get the name from Wins.

Janak Parekh
02-05-2003, 01:28 AM
Ok, so let's try simple question. I can get on the net but not wirelessly Sync. Here's the message I keep getting when I start ActiveSync 1) I get the network log on screen (I have no user name or password set) I press ok and after trying to connect to the network I get 2) Trouble Connecting-VPN server problems, please reconnect and verify user name and password. Ok so I don't think I have a user name set but if I did where would I check? :oops:
Ah! Why are you getting a password screen? You shouldn't be. Do you specify a proxy server or VPN setup anywhere in Connection Mangler?

I just connect to the Net, hit Sync, and it's instantaneous.

Since Win2k came out I have NEVER inputed ANYTHING into the Wins tab on either the PPC or any desktop to connect to anything. When I ran NT4 networks, I hated WINS.
So I was confused by this too, and was told on a thread that entering your desktop's IP in the PPC's WINS address helps NetBIOS name resolution, even if your PC is not running a WINS server.

Unfortunately you still need that NetBIOS name resolution for ActiveSync, since it partners based on the short name and most people don't have a DNS server handy (do you?); if you don't, Pocket Hosts or the WINS trick is what you use for the NetBIOS name resolution.

(BTW, the irony is, WINS on Win2k Server is much, much easier than it was on NT4. I use it, ironically, solely for a "cataloging" feature - it keeps track of which users are using which IPs. :D)

--janak

TheBacklash
02-05-2003, 01:37 AM
Not necessarily. I was talking a PC-only software firewall. These often allow common outgoing connection types. ActiveSync uses weird ports, and moreso is inbound, so most software firewalls would block such connection attempts.

But that's not his problem anyway.

--janak

But whats the point of a Firewall that can't stop ANYONE from accessing the net? :?:

Never heard of a firewall that allows full pass through, inbound and outbound Internet traffic... yet blocks only certain ports by default, without someone specificly putting those ports to be blocked... If you put in an IP range to block... or only certain ones to accept, NO traffic from an IP not on the "ok" list will go through. Inbound *or* outbound.
port 80 blocking is one of the main reasons a firewall exists... Idon't think you can block be default all other ports, and allow port 80 traffic to go through. unless like I said configured to allow all internet traffic, and disallow all other traffic... which is never a default setting by any firewall software.

Now if it was blocking the Net, yet allowing the AS to work... then I would say possible that a Firewall is part of the problem... blocking the net as it should, but not stopping the ports.

Thats why I said a Firewall is not the problem.

TheBacklash
02-05-2003, 01:52 AM
Ah! Why are you getting a password screen? You shouldn't be. Do you specify a proxy server or VPN setup anywhere in Connection Mangler?

I just connect to the Net, hit Sync, and it's instantaneous.

So I was confused by this too, and was told on a thread that entering your desktop's IP in the PPC's WINS address helps NetBIOS name resolution, even if your PC is not running a WINS server.

Unfortunately you still need that NetBIOS name resolution for ActiveSync, since it partners based on the short name and most people don't have a DNS server handy (do you?); if you don't, Pocket Hosts or the WINS trick is what you use for the NetBIOS name resolution.

(BTW, the irony is, WINS on Win2k Server is much, much easier than it was on NT4. I use it, ironically, solely for a "cataloging" feature - it keeps track of which users are using which IPs. :D)

--janak

I'm confused by that password thing too... that almost proves that it is a setting somewhere that is wrong.

BTW: I do have a DNS server handy... 8)

But anyway... When i set up my Ipaq to connect to my laptop and my computer years back. I never set up wins either...

Ask yourself this... Why does MS say you *must* sync over the cradle first, before syncing over Wi-Fi?

Hmmm..... maybe transfering the needed names and such to the Device in order to find it over the network...

But besides the Wins part, First take off Wins... then try and track down the Password thing... That shouldn't be there. That is probably the problem right there. Where did you setup a password needed for access?...

Hmmm...

Go to AS. On your Axim (start, programs, Activesync)
and open the tools/options menu.
go to the server tab, and select Advanced.
Is there a username/password there? If so try clearing it, I don't need one to connect.
now try syncing.

Go through your Wi-Fi card settings and see if there is any username/password setting.

Just athought... Under the AS connection settings on your desktop... (file, connection settings) is the "Allow Network and RAS server connections" checkbox checked?

If I uncheck it... I can't sync.

Sslixtis
02-05-2003, 04:05 AM
OK, the password thing is VPN. If I delete the VPN setting and just use Connection Settings - Internet, Internet , Internet; My PPC just continuously tries to connect (just sits here "connecting"). :cry:

TheBacklash
02-05-2003, 04:42 AM
have you gone through the other suggestions here?
Double check all the settings.... it don't hurt to check.

device/computer names.
AS settings on both computer and PPC.
Wi-Fi settings.
network settings (IP's)

Etc.

Sslixtis
02-05-2003, 05:12 AM
have you gone through the other suggestions here?
Double check all the settings.... it don't hurt to check.

device/computer names.
AS settings on both computer and PPC.
Wi-Fi settings.
network settings (IP's)

Etc.

Device/Computer Names > Check

AS settings > Allow Network and RAS checked and Network is available.
on PPC include PC when Syncing remotely checked.

Wi-Fi settings > I can connect to the Net just not wireless AS. Set as Internet, Internet, Internet under Connections on PPC.

Network settings > I can ping the Router and my PC with my PPC.

Etc... > I even used MS PPC Connection Wizard which is supposed to transfer all needed PC settings to the PPC, even selected wireless connect no VPN or Proxy. I can use MSN IM, Outlook, and PIE wirelessly but no ActiveSync.

He**, I even asked it really nicely to please work :wink:

Janak Parekh
02-05-2003, 05:42 AM
But whats the point of a Firewall that can't stop ANYONE from accessing the net? :?:
Hm? Maybe we're having a miscommunication problem here. I was talking about a firewall that closed most inbound connection attempts, which is what ActiveSync needs to work.

Idon't think you can block be default all other ports, and allow port 80 traffic to go through.
Huh? If you do a default RedHat 8.0 install, the software firewall blocks all incoming connections on ports <= 1024, except for specific ones you open, i.e., 80 if you want a web server. In general you want to block all ports to the outside world's connections (e.g., inbound TCP SYN packets) except those you explicitly want to grant access to. Outbound connection attempts would still be allowed, and if it's TCP, once you establish the connection all you need to do is keep track of it and allow packets to pass through the opened ephemeral port, which most firewalls can do transparently. You can even be really draconian and restrict what outbound TCP connections you can make - and a lot of big corporations do this, allowing only outbound HTTP requests, for example.

ActiveSync, as per this link (http://www.cewindows.net/wce/20/protocols.htm), uses ports 990, 999, 5678, and 5679. A firewall, in its default configuration, would almost definitely block at least 2 of them. (The XP firewall apparently doesn't, though.)

--janak

Janak Parekh
02-05-2003, 05:46 AM
But anyway... When i set up my Ipaq to connect to my laptop and my computer years back. I never set up wins either...
Interesting. As per this link again (http://www.cewindows.net/wce/20/protocols.htm), ActiveSync, until PPC 2002, didn't store the IP address, so all my comments regarding NetBIOS name resolution were correct. This behavior appears to have changed, and as part of the partnership it does store an IP address. I thought HOSTS/WINS resolution would win first, but now I'm not so sure.

The Pocket PC 2002 works a little differently than prior releases when you use ActiveSync to connect to your desktop via ethernet, 802.11b or modem. As part of your initial synchronization, the Pocket PC 2002 stores the desktop's IP address. So you can sync without entering the desktop's IP address as the WINS server. This will prevent you from synchronizing if your desktop's IP address changes.

This might be the source of your problems, guys. Has the IP address of your desktop changed since your partnership was first created? Have you tried recreating (ugh) the partnerships?

Thanks, TheBacklash... we're all learning here. :)

--janak

TheBacklash
02-05-2003, 06:26 AM
Interesting. As per this link again (http://www.cewindows.net/wce/20/protocols.htm), ActiveSync, until PPC 2002, didn't store the IP address, so all my comments regarding NetBIOS name resolution were correct. This behavior appears to have changed, and as part of the partnership it does store an IP address. I thought HOSTS/WINS resolution would win first, but now I'm not so sure.

The Pocket PC 2002 works a little differently than prior releases when you use ActiveSync to connect to your desktop via ethernet, 802.11b or modem. As part of your initial synchronization, the Pocket PC 2002 stores the desktop's IP address. So you can sync without entering the desktop's IP address as the WINS server. This will prevent you from synchronizing if your desktop's IP address changes.

This might be the source of your problems, guys. Has the IP address of your desktop changed since your partnership was first created? Have you tried recreating (ugh) the partnerships?

Thanks, TheBacklash... we're all learning here. :)

--janak

intresting point....

now I have a question.... (for Sslixtis)

Which computer was the *first* one you synced the PPC up with?

Janak Parekh, thats in Linux.... I wasn't speaking of linux. We are working with MS stuff here. :D Am only thinking of MS based Firewalls... never seen any windows based firewalls do that... we any clearer yet? :? (one of these days we'll be speaking about the same thing, and in the same thread :D )
One more thing... On my iPaq... I never used Wi-Fi with it until about 2 weeks before the Dell arrived... Never had any problems with it either.

TheBacklash
02-05-2003, 06:39 AM
Ok in searching Technet, I find this little tidbit...

To perform synchronization via a RAS connection, a couple minor issues need to be addressed. The Windows CE based device remembers the names of the machines with which it last synchronized. So, in order to synchronize via RAS, the PC at the office with which you wish to synchronize while on the road, must be turned on and connected to the corporate network.

Found a little help, don't hurt to go through the motions....

CEwindows.net Wi-Fi troubleshooting (http://www.cewindows.net/faqs/networktrouble.htm)

hmmmmm....... This is odd, I never thought to check this. Or thought it would matter...

If you are using the Pocket PC 2002 you must set your default connection in Connection Manager to Work in order to synchronize over a network. You will not be able to synchronize if you have your default setting to The Internet.

TheBacklash
02-05-2003, 07:01 AM
Ok in searching Technet, I find this little tidbit...

To perform synchronization via a RAS connection, a couple minor issues need to be addressed. The Windows CE based device remembers the names of the machines with which it last synchronized. So, in order to synchronize via RAS, the PC at the office with which you wish to synchronize while on the road, must be turned on and connected to the corporate network.

Found a little help, don't hurt to go through the motions....

CEwindows.net Wi-Fi troubleshooting (http://www.cewindows.net/faqs/networktrouble.htm)

hmmmmm....... This is odd, I never thought to check this. Or thought it would matter...

If you are using the Pocket PC 2002 you must set your default connection in Connection Manager to Work in order to synchronize over a network. You will not be able to synchronize if you have your default setting to The Internet.

I knew Wins was not needed.... But in a two computer environment, the last computer used would screw this up though...

Note: The Pocket PC 2002 remembers the IP address of the desktop so you should not need to enter it as the WINS server to synchronize

oops, hit quote instead of edit... :oops:

Sslixtis
02-05-2003, 08:53 AM
Ok, it was my PC's Firewall (standard MS firewall) once I turned it off and only used the Router's firewall...presto! Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. :roll:

I do appreciate all the help you guys have provided. It has certainly been educational! 8)

Janak Parekh
02-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Janak Parekh, thats in Linux.... I wasn't speaking of linux. We are working with MS stuff here. :D Am only thinking of MS based Firewalls... never seen any windows based firewalls do that... we any clearer yet? :? (one of these days we'll be speaking about the same thing, and in the same thread :D )
I was citing the Linux one because that was the last one I set up. Any "decent" firewall should let you block ranges of ports. Which Windows firewall are you talking about, then? The standard XP firewall does, if I remember correctly, the blocking of all incoming connections except for the ones you designate.

The ones that come with MS Proxy and RRAS (Routing and Remote Access) are very weak, IMHO, but even they have "exception rules", e.g., block all incoming except the ones listed in the dialog. I haven't tried ISA Server - do you know if that's any better?

Ok, it was my PC's Firewall (standard MS firewall) once I turned it off and only used the Router's firewall...presto! Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. :roll:
Pardon me for saying this... TOLD'JA! :D

Seriously, congrats on getting it to work. Now I know I'm not crazy... :lol:

--janak

Underwater Mike
02-05-2003, 07:51 PM
All,

Wish my solution was as simple. I've checked everything a zillion times over on the PC end, and even hard reset my Axim (with about 2 hours devoted to reloading everything there). Didn;t even TRY to connect until I'd configured everything on the PPC end with Connecitn Manager, since I was afraid I'd suddenly forgotten how to do so manually.

Still nuttin. :cry:

Pardon me for saying this... TOLD'JA! :D

Seriously, congrats on getting it to work. Now I know I'm not crazy... :lol:

--janak

Sslixtis
02-05-2003, 09:06 PM
Pardon me for saying this... TOLD'JA!

I could have sworn that the MS firewall was on before whenit was working :oops: Anyway, I'm just happy it's working and I really do appreciate all the help you guys have given.

Just a note, I don't have anything set for WINS. I have DHCP set and connections set to Internet, Work, Work for ActiveSyncing and switch to Internet, Work, Internet when just surfing wirelessly. :wink:

TheBacklash
02-06-2003, 01:29 AM
Any "decent" firewall should let you block ranges of ports. Which Windows firewall are you talking about, then? The standard XP firewall does, if I remember correctly, the blocking of all incoming connections except for the ones you designate.
--janak

I don't use any of the built-in "firewalls"...

But when you set up any 3rd party firewalls, the first thing it does is restrict the Use of web access... Thats why I first said it's not the firewall.

If your using ICS, true It would allow net access but restrict other ports... He didn't say ICS (which I never use...) He said firewall. Only time I set up ICS on a computer, is for a friend so he could take his Xbox online.

If anyone thinks ICS is a firewall... MS is guilty of a big PR scam there.

But, glad tohere at least one persons fixed... now On to the next

Janak Parekh
02-06-2003, 01:44 AM
But when you set up any 3rd party firewalls, the first thing it does is restrict the Use of web access... Thats why I first said it's not the firewall.
You mean like ZoneAlarm? I'm pretty sure the default config of ZoneAlarm blocks a lot more than just web material. The whole point of the firewall is to prevent services like the NetBIOS locator service or the SMB server from responding from the outside world.

And the XP firewall is not ICS. XP has both, but they're separate entities, with separate checkboxes to enable them.

--janak

TheBacklash
02-06-2003, 01:49 AM
were talking more into this than we need...

He was able to get on the net, not connect to his computer to sync.

All I was saying is that a firewall would normaly restrict the Net, along with restrict other ports. I was thinking it couldn't be the Firewall if he was able to get to the net on his PPC... I know you can configue most firewalls to do everything but wash the dishes, while blocking certain ports... Thats a whole other topic.

Underwater Mike
02-06-2003, 03:39 AM
SHAZAM!

Finally got it working! No, it wasn't a firewall issue. Near as I can tell, some ActiveStink stuff in the registry that must've been messed up. Here's what I did:

1) Uninstall AS (AGAIN)
2) Hard reset Axim (AGAIN)
3) Reboot PC
4) Use RegEdit to remove any references I can find to AS or its components on PC
5) Reboot PC
6) Run Norton WinDoctor 2003 on the PC and fix all the problems it finds
7) Reboot PC
8) Repeat steps 6 & 7
9) Reinstall AS
10) Sync and reinstall all software on Axim
11) Try wireless and wish I had some beer in the house when it finally works!

Et voilà!

Now, can someone tell me why this worked (even when a regular AS uninstall on the PC and Axim hard reset didn't)? It TOTALLY pisses me off when I don't understand why crap like this happens.

Janak Parekh
02-06-2003, 03:39 AM
were talking more into this than we need...
True. Sorry for wandering off topic.

--janak

Janak Parekh
02-06-2003, 03:40 AM
Now, can someone tell me why this worked (even when a regular AS uninstall on the PC and Axim hard reset didn't)? It TOTALLY pisses me off when I don;t understand why crap like this happens.
Congrats! :D Unfortunately, I don't have a clue. It would be interesting to use an install tracker and see what registry keys ActiveSync creates.

--janak

TheBacklash
02-06-2003, 05:47 AM
you know what?....I think with two different people having problems in the same thread... the problems, and the fixes were getting mixed up a bit.

Sslixtis
02-06-2003, 09:34 AM
Probably, but the symptom was the same, so how could you know ahead of time :wink:

Underwater Mike
02-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Wow, a six-page thread! All I can say is that Mazingo sync and backups to the PC now work as they should (i.e., quickly), rather than at cradle speed. Nice to be back to full functionality.

Thanks for all the attempted fixes. As always, this is a great place to get advice!

:rock on dude!: