View Full Version : bluetooth confused

bodiddly
02-02-2003, 03:01 PM
I have a new iPaq 5455 with Bluetooth, and an Ericsson t68i cell phone with bluetooth. I can set up the PocketPC to use the phone as a modem, via bluetooth, and dial my ISP (Mindspring), with no real difficulty, although the speed seems to be limited to 14.4K. However, I've noticed that my cell phone comany, T-Mobile, offers GPRS service through the phone, which is "always on" (don't have to dial out). This would be better, but T-Mobile says they only support PDA's with built in phones, or some version of Windows (on laptops), for which they offer a connection wizard. I figure, if there's a connection wizard, then there must be some way to get at these settings manually, but so far no luck. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

ppcsurfr
02-02-2003, 03:57 PM
I have a new iPaq 5455 with Bluetooth, and an Ericsson t68i cell phone with bluetooth. I can set up the PocketPC to use the phone as a modem, via bluetooth, and dial my ISP (Mindspring), with no real difficulty, although the speed seems to be limited to 14.4K. However, I've noticed that my cell phone comany, T-Mobile, offers GPRS service through the phone, which is "always on" (don't have to dial out). This would be better, but T-Mobile says they only support PDA's with built in phones, or some version of Windows (on laptops), for which they offer a connection wizard. I figure, if there's a connection wizard, then there must be some way to get at these settings manually, but so far no luck. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Just ask them what their APN is for Internet over GPRS, set it up on your T68i and check the CID. What you might have right now is WAP over GPRS... this sometimes uses a different APN. Once you have the APN and you've entered it into your T68i, all you need to do is find the CID in the connection... this ID will tell you whether to use 1, 2, or 3 at the end of te dial up number... (which is an access number for GPRS) It starts as *99***1# and depending on your CID, you can change 1 to 2 or to 3.

ppcsurfr

JvanEkris
02-02-2003, 05:20 PM
What i do on my T39m is dial *99#. This way it dials the first available profile. You do need a password and id. You can copy it from your normal WAP account. Works splendid for me (T-Mobile Netherlands).

Jaap

bodiddly
02-02-2003, 05:45 PM
What i do on my T39m is dial *99#. This way it dials the first available profile. You do need a password and id. You can copy it from your normal WAP account. Works splendid for me (T-Mobile Netherlands).

You set *99# as the number to dial from your PDA, or you ctually dial it on the phone itself?

Supposedly the APN is wap.voicestream.com, which works when I use the phone to browse, but not when I want to connect the pocketpc "through" the phone.