View Full Version : Age poll

Job
02-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Hey, while recently reading the thread about not wanting to use your device in public, I noticed quite a few people mentioning AP classes. Perhaps, I had the false impression that there were not many high school students on this site. I bet that less than 10% of the Thoughts readers are still in high school. Prove me wrong. (Without cheating.)

UPDATE: Oh, by the way, I am 17 and a senior in highschool. I currently have an Axim, and previously owned a Sony Clie, prior to its untimely death.

vincentsiaw
02-01-2003, 05:28 PM
do you use your axim to takenotes of some sort? in class i mean??

Delta737
02-01-2003, 05:30 PM
I'm 17, but I do not use it in school (so that I don't draw that much attention... :oops: )

spursdude
02-01-2003, 08:06 PM
I'm 15, but don't use the PPC in class...

Traveller
02-01-2003, 08:25 PM
I'm old,..., very old. I'll have to check my Sharp ExpertPad to see if I recorded my birthday somewhere.

Rirath
02-01-2003, 09:18 PM
Here we go again. :) Lets see... tomorrow will be two months shy of 20. ¬_¬
Use the Axim in every class. From lecture notes to Snails... I'd be bored to tears without it.

Optimus
02-01-2003, 10:30 PM
I'm currently in University; but never use the device to take notes. Not in fear of being oggled but fear of being considered too geeky :oops: .

I've been trying to use it as a digital audio recorder to tape the lectures. But i'm still having difficulties with this.

Though the lectures I write in my notebook are scanned in and stored in my PPC for future reference.

spursdude
02-01-2003, 10:33 PM
I've been trying to use it as a digital audio recorder to tape the lectures. But i'm still having difficulties with this.

Check out NoteM - it records 16kbps MP3 files. The size is great, the quality decent, and the program is convenient.

You can find a revew here (http://www.pocketnow.com/cgi-bin/directory/content.cgi?db=articles&id=86), and there are download links at the bottom.

Optimus
02-02-2003, 03:55 AM
^^ Thank you

dotcomguy
02-02-2003, 04:41 AM
I am a second year junior in college, age 19, and use my PDA all the time. I don't particularly use it to take notes, but I keep assignments as well as class schedules and meeting times for other activiites on it. It's a great way to keep me organized. :)

I got my first PDA as a junior or senior in high school and similarly used it then, though perhaps not as much during class.

jd4science
02-02-2003, 05:19 AM
Well, technicly, I can't vote, I'm only in 8th grade. :oops:

Saaby
02-02-2003, 07:40 AM
16. Sophomore. Waiting for Axim from School (IN School of Technology (http://home.attbi.com/~saaby/sws.htm) plan to use extensively in class--esp. AP class.

dean_shan
02-02-2003, 07:55 AM
I'm a junior in highschool. I don't use it too offten in school, just to check my calendar and the time mostly (I don't wear a watch). I'll somtimes use it as a dictionary. I think that I might use my PPC more in school if I didn't have an iBook that the school let's me use for the year(MacTech class).
The students at my school are pretty good about it, they don't oogle or gawk when I use it (this might be due to the fact that I have about 150 people K-12 in my school :wink:), they all know it is my computer and it is as common to them as paper, although some still call it a "PalmPilot" :evil:, but I'm breaking their habit of that.

Job
02-03-2003, 03:21 AM
Wow, nice to see so many replies. I don't really use mine to take notes in school. The data entry system is just too slow (no comments please, I am tired of debating their relative merits). Occasionally, I will use it to take basic outline notes in church.

CodeSurge
02-03-2003, 09:10 AM
I'm a college sophomore, and I don't use my V35 to take notes. Instead, I download whatever PPT slides my professors decide to put up before lecture and put 'em onto my PPC, just for the heck of it. :)

DrtyBlvd
02-03-2003, 01:37 PM
I'm old,..., very old. I'll have to check my Sharp ExpertPad to see if I recorded my birthday somewhere.

Traveller - No worries mate - it's right here on the Rosetta Stone :lol:

AndrewLubinus89
02-03-2003, 02:10 PM
Wow, nice to see so many replies. I don't really use mine to take notes in school. The data entry system is just too slow (no comments please, I am tired of debating their relative merits). Occasionally, I will use it to take basic outline notes in church. Lol
I also take sermon notes with my palm (I do have a palm so don't jump on me) I keep word files on my and I use memo pad a lot. I am only thirteen but I am in ninth grade.

pocketpcdude1024
02-03-2003, 10:24 PM
I'm 15, but don't use the PPC in class...
I'm 15 and I say:

You're missing out! 8) Solitare is the BEST (free) way to kill time! (Whether it be in class or study hall) :D

...some still call it a "PalmPilot" :evil:, but I'm breaking their habit of that.
I haven't been able to do that yet and it really gets on my nerves! :x

Well, technicly, I can't vote, I'm only in 8th grade. :oops:
I got my first PDA in 8th grade, but it was a budget Palm. I have to thank Palm for the low prices to make me get one. Then, after two years of painstakinly following specs I finally jumped the gun and bought my first Pocket PC. :D

dotcomguy
02-04-2003, 06:15 AM
I'll add to my previous post in reaction to the slight tangent regarding use in class.

Today was the first chance I had to use my new PPC in class. I realized that it would be futile to try taking notes on it. It just doesn't beat scribbling down barely readable text onto paper. It's too slow, inaccurate, and not the most comfortable to write on extensively. Also, worrying about errors is distracting from a lecture.

However, this is what I'm going to try, a little experiment.

I took notes today as usual and later I copied them all into MS Word using a PC. This didn't take very long, and if I continue to do this, it would be a great way to review a lecture. Then, I will copy that Word file so it syncs with my PPC. I will then have my entire notebook in the palm of my hands which is neat, organized, small, and even searchable. :)

AndrewLubinus89
02-04-2003, 07:24 AM
I got my first PDA in 8th grade, but it was a budget Palm. I have to thank Palm for the low prices to make me get one. Then, after two years of painstakinly following specs I finally jumped the gun and bought my first Pocket PC. :D
*sigh* I can relate to that. I still have my budget palm. :-(

pocketpcdude1024
02-04-2003, 12:12 PM
*sigh* I can relate to that. I still have my budget palm. :-(

Don't feel bad; the primary reason I upgraded was because it broke! Two years of constant use finally wore down on it! I still have it, though. It brings back warm memories... :rainbowafro:

Sooner Al
02-04-2003, 01:53 PM
...and recently began the ultimate vacation called BEING RETIRED... :D