View Full Version : Vista Compatibility Coming on January 30th

Jason Dunn
12-08-2006, 08:44 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7905/52/' target='_blank'>http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7905/52/</a><br /><br /></div><em>&quot;To the surprise of many, Microsoft&rsquo;s hoped-for iPod killer didn&rsquo;t work with Vista upon launch. But as expected, compatibility is coming &ndash; on Jan 30. Jason Reindorp, the Director of Marketing at Microsoft for their own branded digital mp3/media player, the Zune, has finally put Vista owners with a Zune out of their misery and has announced that Vista compatibility is coming on June 30. Apparently this was &lsquo;always the plan&rsquo;, with an update to be made available to enable Vista compatibility. Why it can&rsquo;t be made available now, in calendar year 2006, is still unclear. Surely it must already work? Why the wait &ndash; there are plenty of people who can legally get access to Vista, with the millions all subscribing to Microsoft &lsquo;MSDN&rsquo; program able to download Vista today. There are also still millions of copies of RC1 and RC2 out there.&quot;</em><br /><br />See how that quote says June 30th in it? I read that date first, and my blood pressure rose rapidly - I started to write an email to a Microsoft contact I have to ask them if this was really the case, because it seemed even more insane than not having Vista compatibility right at launch (which should be a sad embarrassment for the Zune team). I paused and read the whole article again - and saw that the first date mentioned was actually <strong>January 30th</strong>...which is more in line with what I've heard and have been expecting. So it looks like we have a final confirmation of a new version of the Zune software that will be compatible with Vista. In the meantime, there's <a href="http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/showthread.php?t=328&amp;highlight=vista">always the hack of course</a>. I'm cautiously optimistic that the new software will also have the ability to transcode DVR-MS files, which an inside source told me was coming. We'll see - but it will be a long two month wait.

DrMobo
12-08-2006, 09:39 PM
This Cnet article states that Vista compatibility will come by Christmas time. I'm using Vista RC2 full time so I hope so.

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+Zune+sales+to+top+1+million+by+June/2100-1041_3-6141431.html

LPD
12-09-2006, 01:14 AM
Jason Reindorp, marketing director for Zune at Microsoft told a CNET report that the Zune software update will be made available before Christmas. The reporter went on to say the update would "fix some minor glitches and add some performance and other improvements".

Reindorp said "It is plumbing stuff, but it is stuff customers will notice and appreciate. It's not going to be a whole new wireless scenario or anything like that." And it was confirmed it will work with Windows Vista (a no brainer).

Source: By Ina Fried, Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Would seem that either this has been misreported by someone or Microsoft's people are not all on the same page. I've been saying all along that it will be before Christmas which makes sense since "...a lot of Zunes are sitting under Christmas trees" according to the Reindorp. I did say before I thought DJ mode would be in the update but it appears I was wrong about that. I still think DJ Mode will prove to be THE "killer function" on the Zune that will crank up sales.

<!-- December 6, 2006, 11:43 AM PT
-->

Jason Dunn
12-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Well, I sure hope he's wrong and it comes at the end of this month rather than at the end of next month...I just downloaded Vista Ultimate last night from MSDN and I want to start to deploy it...:rolleyes:

Jason Dunn
12-09-2006, 01:46 AM
I still think DJ Mode will prove to be THE "killer function" on the Zune that will crank up sales.<!-- December 6, 2006, 11:43 AM PT
-->

Really? That feature is just as useless as the current WiFi song/picture sharing because it requires that others around you have a Zune. And how many people really have Zunes now? Not that many...

Darius Wey
12-09-2006, 02:49 AM
I just downloaded Vista Ultimate last night from MSDN and I want to start to deploy it...:rolleyes:

I've already deployed it on a couple of computers, though Zune is the only reason why I'm still running XP on my main box. I hope the little device appreciates it. ;)

Aaron Roma
12-09-2006, 06:55 AM
Oh good grief, I would hope it would be before even the end of January. Seriously, what could possibly be the hold up?

LPD
12-09-2006, 08:21 AM
Really? That feature is just as useless as the current WiFi song/picture sharing because it requires that others around you have a Zune. And how many people really have Zunes now? Not that many...

The difference is that the limitations of 3 by 3 file sharing is no big deal to anyone. No one is really going to buy a Zune because of 3 by 3 sharing. (I don't blame MS for the limitations of that, I think the record companies insisted on that and MS had no choice.) But DJ mode is cool enough to actually drive sales with young consumers, once two of your friends can do it you don't want to be left out. It doesn't take much imagination on how marketing can leverage it, for example special Zune events concerts with hosted bands that broadcast to Zune owners given them "bonus content" and control of your own volume. A TV ad can make DJ mode look fun; its hard to show 3 by 3 file sharing look fun or "social". Bottom line DJ mode is social and social is the marketing.