View Full Version : Can I recover lost "skins" on mt preinstalled win. media player?

rundcm
02-01-2003, 04:35 AM
I downloaded an update from the microsoft's website for 2002 WMP. now I get messege on my pocket p.c. "THERE ARE NO SKIN FILES PRESENT ON YOUR DEVICE" I probably did something wrong but not sure what..

I went to find these "skins" and found this answer on microsofts (Q & A) site.........
" Where can I download the Media Player for Pocket PC that comes pre-installed on Pocket PC 2002 devices?

"This version of the Media Player is only available on devices that ship with the Pocket PC 2002 operating system. If you have an earlier version of the Pocket PC OS, you should be using Windows Media Player 7.1 for Pocket PC."

so does this mean I cannot do anything with this 2002 player?
I just want the player to work. I don't care what skin it has.
There is no media player downloads for a toshiba e740 or any other toshiba poc. pc. on download page. There are downloads for hp,casio, etc. What gives?
I tried to install another skin (custom) but it was a no-go What now??
Any help appreciated..

spursdude
02-01-2003, 07:49 AM
Well, since you have an e740, this means that it came preinstalled with Pocket PC 2002, meaning it came with Windows Media Player for PPC2002. The update (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/software/pocket/playerupdate.aspx) should not have messed with your skins at all...

As for skins, make sure that you are putting the skins on your device in their folders. For example, I keep my Windows Media Player skins on my storage card. In the root folder of the storage card, I have a folder "Skins." Inside that are the different folders containing each skin (i.e. blue, green, orange).

Your PPC should work fine with the WMP for PPC2002. If it can't find any skins, just give it some - put them either in the folder My Device>Program Files>Windows Media Player, or maybe on your storage card to save some space.

You can find a pretty helpful page about WMP skins here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/software/pocket/install.aspx), although it's somewhat specific to WMP 7.1.

You can find plenty of skins, which I have found to work great, here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/software/pocket/custom.aspx).

Just reply if you have any more questions...I hope this helps you!

rundcm
02-01-2003, 03:34 PM
Here is what I found so far, bare with me as I am a new user.
I found the update for the media player in the "memory" along with some games I downloaded. (I do not have an external storage card yet) The user guide has 1 page that adresses "find and organize information"

Is this where I falling short understanding how to make a folders?
you stated:

"As for skins, make sure that you are putting the skins on your device in their folders."
I dont know how to do that (at least not intentionally)

This is where im lost. Example : I have every game (or data refrencing every game) in :"games" icon under "program" also I see them under "file explorer" in addition, under file explorer, I have windows media player,when I tap the "default" line it says "no app assoc. with default, run app. first then open file within app.

The games " folder" has files for games that are not under the "games" icon under "program". Anyway bottom line is i dont know how to manage my data at all, it seems to be getting worse the more i download programs. I tried serching threads on this but always came up with bits and pieces of information that i couldent put togther to make sense to me Sorry this is so long winded ,I plan on attending a poc. pc club in late feb. but kinda want to get past the basics now...

spursdude
02-01-2003, 07:59 PM
Hm...I'm not sure I quite follow. First of all, don't get the Programs menu of your PPC (i.e. Start>Programs) and the file system confused. To put it in somewhat relative PC terms, the Programs menu is like your start menu on the PC, while the file system is more analagous to using Windows Explorer to explore your hard disk.

First to clarify again - what does WMP tell you when you try to open up the program Windows Media Player by going to your Programs menu (Start>Programs)?

To verify that you have skins for WMP on your device, open up File Explorer, navigate to My Device, then tap on Program Files, then Windows Media Player. Is there anything in that folder?

Anyways, head to the link I posted earlier to download some WMP skins. (Try the colored ones, i.e. Blue) They may be zip files. In that case, unzip them to get you a folder containing many files, most of them .bmp. Take that entire folder (the folder itself too, not just its contents) and drag it through ActiveSync into the My Device>Program Files>Windows Media Player folder. Do that by clicking "Explore" from ActiveSync, then navigating to the right folder, then just dragging it in.

Now open up WMP on your PPC and see if it will see that skin.