View Full Version : /mobile added

Jason Dunn
02-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Minor update, but we've finally "gotten with the program" and put our mobile site in the /mobile directory - if there's anything close to an industry standard, it's /mobile. However, a good site will have a redirect on their root page and users should never have to even know it's there... :wink: /pocket will still work for now, but if you're manually going to /pocket, I suggest you start using /mobile instead. Thanks!

pocketpcdude1024
02-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Is it possible to have mobile.pocketpcthoughts.com or pda.pocketpcthoughts.com link to the mobile site? I like the fact you have a mobile site, but with the on-screen keyboard it's a little much to type http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/mobile

I know this is a small, insigificant request and it almost looks like I'm nitpicking. However, it's simply a matter of preference. :D

Steven Cedrone
02-01-2003, 02:30 PM
Is it possible to have mobile.pocketpcthoughts.com or pda.pocketpcthoughts.com link to the mobile site? I like the fact you have a mobile site, but with the on-screen keyboard it's a little much to type http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/mobile

I know this is a small, insigificant request and it almost looks like I'm nitpicking. However, it's simply a matter of preference. :D

If you haven't hacked your user agent string, you will automatically be sent to this page when you go to www.pocketpcthoughts.com

Steve

skjelnes
02-01-2003, 04:24 PM
Why don't we get the same articles on the mobile frontpage as on the ordinary?

Right now I only get this article. Then the mobile version is allmost useless to me.

I want the full package. :wink:

sripathi
02-01-2003, 05:53 PM
I appreciate it, but I wish the forums are also formatted for pocket pc. osnews.com is the best formatted site so far I have seen. I works pretty well on desktop and ppc without using seperate urls.

Jason Dunn
02-01-2003, 07:12 PM

If you haven't hacked your user agent string, you will automatically be sent to this page when you go to www.pocketpcthoughts.com

Steve

Exactly - 99.99% of the time, if you hit this site with Pocket Internet Explorer, Mazingo, or AvantGo, you'll get directed to the mobile site automatically. The "manual method" is only a last resort - which makes me wonder why you're asking for it - did you hack your user agent string so it doesn't redirect for you?

Besides which, type it in once, and bookmark it for the future - problem solved! ;-)

(BTW, mobile.pocketpcthoughts.com does actually work - have you tried it? ;-) )

Jason Dunn
02-01-2003, 07:35 PM
Why don't we get the same articles on the mobile frontpage as on the ordinary? Right now I only get this article. Then the mobile version is allmost useless to me. I want the full package. :wink:

Hmm - our mobile page is broken somehow. It's only showing two articles, but it SHOULD be showing about six or so. The reason why we don't mirror the front page is load time - it would become very heavy to load over GPRS. I'll look at fixing this.

FULL customiation will be possible with the enhanced suite of subscriber services that are coming soon...(30 to 60 days)

pocketpcdude1024
02-01-2003, 10:17 PM

Steve

Just did. It links to the main page, which should "sniff" that I have PIE on my device! I didn't know this! Thanks! :D
Exactly - 99.99% of the time, if you hit this site with Pocket Internet Explorer, Mazingo, or AvantGo, you'll get directed to the mobile site automatically. The "manual method" is only a last resort - which makes me wonder why you're asking for it - did you hack your user agent string so it doesn't redirect for you?

Besides which, type it in once, and bookmark it for the future - problem solved! ;-)

(BTW, mobile.pocketpcthoughts.com does actually work - have you tried it? ;-) )

Ok. I tried it, and it sent me to the "main" page. From there, it should "sniff" that I have a mobile version if I do, right? :?

darius779
02-02-2003, 12:43 AM
... However, a good site will have a redirect on their root page and users should never have to even know it's there... :wink: ...

While this is true, I have been to several mobile sites that dont give the option of viewing the full main page. This is a problem when there is a link on the main page I need that is not on the mobile page.

Jason Dunn
02-02-2003, 12:53 AM
Ok. I tried it, and it sent me to the "main" page. From there, it should "sniff" that I have a mobile version if I do, right? :?

Right. Did you perhaps use a registry hack to change the user agent string on your browser?

Regardless, if the auto-sniffer isn't working for you, then you need to use the www.pocketpcthoughts.com/mobile - it's a last resort. :wink:

Jason Dunn
02-02-2003, 12:55 AM
While this is true, I have been to several mobile sites that dont give the option of viewing the full main page. This is a problem when there is a link on the main page I need that is not on the mobile page.

Yeah, I see what you mean - we don't give users that option either. The problem is that on a Pocket PC you have so LITTLE screen space - every navigation element needs to be VERY important to take up space on that screen - and I don't know that view a big n' ugly desktop page is all that important for the bulk of our readers.

Regardless, use this: www.pocketpcthoughts.com/no_sniffer.php

seanturner
02-02-2003, 01:15 AM
What about creating a shorter URL for mobile access? Its quite cumbersome to have to tap out www.pocketpcthougths.com What about www.ppct.com?

kettle
02-02-2003, 05:40 AM
I'm interested in the upcoming subscription service. Will Blazer be supported?

kettle
02-02-2003, 07:38 PM
I'm quickly learning that a good way to kill a thread in Thoughts is too bring up supporting the Palm :wink:

Jason Dunn
02-02-2003, 11:08 PM
What about creating a shorter URL for mobile access? Its quite cumbersome to have to tap out www.pocketpcthougths.com What about www.ppct.com?

You mean you don't have it bookmarked? ;-)

www.ppct.com is already taken anyway.

Jason Dunn
02-02-2003, 11:15 PM
I'm interested in the upcoming subscription service. Will Blazer be supported?

Not specifically, but if it renders this without difficulty:

www.pocketpcthoughts.com/mobile

Then it's already supported. ;-) We can probably add Blazer to our sniffer code if you can give me the agent string it uses.

jwf
02-03-2003, 11:15 AM

Oh, come on - what about bookmarks !!!