View Full Version : Where can I go on this site to find out what I can really do with PPC2002?

jawjuh
01-31-2003, 04:29 AM
I am a sales rep and use Outlook in certain ways on my PC and want to know if I can do the same kind of things on a PPC PDA. Thanks. 8)

Chris Hendriks
01-31-2003, 05:28 AM
I would post your questions. There are many knowledgeable folks who view the posts and would be happy to respond or even offer alternative software to meet your needs.

Brad Adrian
01-31-2003, 05:35 AM
I am a sales rep and use Outlook in certain ways on my PC and want to know if I can do the same kind of things on a PPC PDA. Thanks. 8)
When it comes to things like tracking appointments, keeping contact lists and reading e-mail, your Pocket PC should do what you need it to do. The device doesn't have all the many features of desktop Outlook, but it comes pretty close.

Good luck, and please don't hesitate to ask any and all questions.

Brad

jimski
01-31-2003, 06:53 AM
While not perfect, much of what you can do on a desktop running Outlook, you can do on a Pocket PC. The built-in calendar and contacts applications are adequate and provide most of the options available on the desktop.

I use Quick Agenda and Quick Tasks plug-ins on my Today screen to provide a view of future appointments and tasks (IMHO, the built-in task app is useless). I just started to use Super Calendar to enhance the monthly calendar view. With icons, the application can mimic the color coding available in the Outlook (desktop) calendar.

As Pocket Outlook lacks a Journal application, I use CLC Journal which works every bit as well as the desktop version. Inbox, for managing mail, is a bit lacking but it is doing the job while I search for an alternative.

Overall, with the right tools you should be able to "leave your laptop behind" and function just as effectively using your Pocket PC.

jawjuh
01-31-2003, 12:40 PM
I keep contacts for companies in Outlook on my PC. One piece of functionality I use allot is the Activities Tab on the contact. From there I can see every email, task, journal, and calendar entry for that contact. Of course, to do this, all of these items have to be linked to the contact. I use journaling quite a bit. I read the post above and my question is can that be synched back to journal in outlook and can you link them to a contact on the PDA?
I also travel allot and usually rent a Hertz car with Neverlost navigation system. I am excited to learn that my PDA may be used for this. Which package is best? Are they as good as the system you would get installed on a car?
WiFi for getting email and looking at the internet would be awesome. I wouldn't have to bring my pc would I?
I also do allot of presentations in Powerpoint. I have found programs that will allow me to take my slide show. Can I change the slide show if I need to at the last minute? How about hooking up to a projection system?
Our company has an intranet that I need to go to sometimes. How would I get into that using WiFi on the PDA or even dial-up. I know we use RAS software on the PC to get in.
And finally, I would be very happy if I could get 2 years of use from this before I upgraded to the latest great new thing.
Am I asking to much? Which unit would serve me best? If Dell should I wait for version 2 of their offerings? How would Bluetooth serve me?
:P So you see, you asked for it. Allot of questions.

gareth
01-31-2003, 02:21 PM
I also do allot of presentations in Powerpoint. I have found programs that will allow me to take my slide show. Can I change the slide show if I need to at the last minute? How about hooking up to a projection system?

I'd be interested to know what software you use for the PowerPoint presentations, and if it is possible to hook up to projectors etc.

I'm often in situations where I need to be able to create presentations "on the fly", and as I don't have a laptop this would be very useful.

BTW, I have an XDA

spursdude
01-31-2003, 09:38 PM
WiFi for getting email and looking at the internet would be awesome. I wouldn't have to bring my pc would I?

If you get a PPC with WiFi or get a PPC and then a WiFi card, the only thing you'll need to get online is a wireless access point near you. So no, you wouldn't have to bring your PC wherever you want internet access. You just need to make sure there's a wireless network set up around you - someplace like your work or maybe airports or malls.

Our company has an intranet that I need to go to sometimes. How would I get into that using WiFi on the PDA or even dial-up. I know we use RAS software on the PC to get in.

The main thing you need to figure out is whether or not your work has a wireless 802.11b network set up.

And finally, I would be very happy if I could get 2 years of use from this before I upgraded to the latest great new thing.
Am I asking to much?

Wanting two years of use is reasonable, mainly depending on your needs. If you mainly want a PPC to do appointment and contact-based functions, you should be all right. Keep in mind, though, that PPC hardware is advancing quite quickly, and that your hardware will probably be fairly outdated in two years.

Which unit would serve me best?

If you want a PPC with integrated WiFi, you will want either a Toshiba e740 or an iPaq 5400-series. The iPaq also has built in Bluetooth, a fingerprint scanner for security purposes, a great screen, and a hefty price tag of somewhere between $600 and $700 (there's plenty more to mention, but those are its main highlights). The e740 has dual slots (CF and SD), and the built-in wireless is its main feature. Both devices are solid, with the e740 being cheaper b/c it's slightly older.

How would Bluetooth serve me?

I personally don't use Bluetooth, but it could be potentially helpful to you. For example, if you have a Bluetooth phone and a Bluetooth enable PPC, you can wirelessly get online from your PPC through your phone. That's the main use of Bluetooth from what I've seen around here.

Rok
01-31-2003, 11:09 PM
I'd be interested to know what software you use for the PowerPoint presentations, and if it is possible to hook up to projectors etc.
I'm often in situations where I need to be able to create presentations "on the fly", and as I don't have a laptop this would be very useful.

AFAIK, the only app that allows you to create presentation "on the fly" is Pocket Slides by Conduits (just purchased it an hour ago, along with Pocket Artist). And the HOLIDAYTHOUGHTS promotion (20% off) should be good for a couple of hours more... (until Feb 1st, that is, presumably GMT-6 or 7?) :wink:

Best regards, Rok L.

jawjuh
01-31-2003, 11:50 PM
based on what I need? I hate to spend that much money but if it gives me what I need......