View Full Version : How good will IR work w/ cell phone?

axim400
01-31-2003, 12:27 AM
I'm planning on upgrading my cellphone to a IR Nokia (8290). I was just wondering of any of you out there have tried to connect to the interenet with a Ir cell phone.

RickP in AZ
01-31-2003, 12:44 AM
I've used it several times. More out of curiousity than need as I normally use Bluetooth between my iPAQ 3975 and my T68. Setting the modem to "Genric IR Modem" in configuring the connection is obviously the option you want.

Unfortunately I do not have specific instructions for that phone.

j1guitar
01-31-2003, 03:31 AM
s'okay
it's just the problem of trying to line up the ports if you r not sitting at a desk (ie in the car)

to be perfectly honest if you r just using the gsm connrction you probobaly wont need to worry about speed problems cos it' soooo sloooow :sleeping:

but seriously if you want to pick up your e-mails on the move and that's your only option then it's a lifesaver

configuring should be pretty easy (as Above) as i think all you have to do on your phone is set ir to active (ie on)
good luck
j1

ajf
01-31-2003, 10:08 PM
With the Nokia 8290 your connection is going to max out at 9600 baud due to limitation in the GSM system. The newer generation phones with a GPRS connection will give you approx. 56K conenction, but you have to pay extra for the service (and the phone).

However, I have found that IR with the 8290 works fine for simple tasks that don't require much bandwidth.

ajf.

axim400
02-01-2003, 03:11 PM
With the Nokia 8290 your connection is going to max out at 9600 baud due to limitation in the GSM system. The newer generation phones with a GPRS connection will give you approx. 56K conenction, but you have to pay extra for the service (and the phone).

However, I have found that IR with the 8290 works fine for simple tasks that don't require much bandwidth.

ajf.

Thanks for the info ajf. All i need to acess is text only email.