View Full Version : Real Player for PPC??

chris269526
01-31-2003, 12:10 AM
Are there any media programs that can play real video (.rm) format?
thanks in advance for any help

bdegroodt
01-31-2003, 12:38 AM

Real has a player (http://www.real.com/realonemobile/download.html). Were you looking for something beyond that?

Not sure what anyone else would say about it, but I say install with caution. Real is notorious for hijacking and not releasing files back to previous players during install/uninstall.

chris269526
01-31-2003, 12:43 AM
thanks bdegroodt....
dont know why i couldnt find that

ill have to give it a try

pocketpcdude1024
01-31-2003, 01:10 AM

Real has a player (http://www.real.com/realonemobile/download.html). Were you looking for something beyond that?

Not sure what anyone else would say about it, but I say install with caution. Real is notorious for hijacking and not releasing files back to previous players during install/uninstall.

I have RealPlayer for my Pocket PC, and it won't even play an MP3, so I imagine that it is strictly for Real files. Of course, the only other player I have on there is Windows Media, so...?

freitasm
01-31-2003, 01:22 AM
I tried the RealPlayer... It's quite a bad piece of software. It only plays special formats of .rm .ra and .ram files, even if you used the RealPlayer in the desktop to transfer the file it will not play, and you only finds out later when trying it, it doesn't play streams from the internet...

What a POS...

that_kid
01-31-2003, 01:38 AM
I tried the RealPlayer... It's quite a bad piece of software. It only plays special formats of .rm .ra and .ram files, even if you used the RealPlayer in the desktop to transfer the file it will not play, and you only finds out later when trying it, it doesn't play streams from the internet...

What a POS...
Yeah it sucks, plus it doesn't support http streaming which most sites do.

guinness
01-31-2003, 03:56 AM
Well, it's not like Real makes good software to begin with...
I hate using it on my PC, if it wasn't for some sites I go to and they still encode in Real format, I would not install the POS, if you're not careful, it likes to hijack all your media formats; IMO, it's as bad as Gator :evil:

WindWalker
01-31-2003, 04:01 AM
I hate using it on my PC, if it wasn't for some sites I go to and they still encode in Real format, I would not install the POS, if you're not careful, it likes to hijack all your media formats; IMO, it's as bad as Gator :evil:

I have to admit, I find this interesting.....I have never, in the many years I have had to use it, had Real take any format I don't want it to have. Once I tell it "You'll get Real formats and like it" in the preferences, it never happens again....

Am I the only one that lucky?

guinness
01-31-2003, 06:06 AM

I have to admit, I find this interesting.....I have never, in the many years I have had to use it, had Real take any format I don't want it to have. Once I tell it "You'll get Real formats and like it" in the preferences, it never happens again....

Am I the only one that lucky?

It won't turn your media into Real format, it just likes to turn itself into the default player for ALL your media (if you do the default install), and with the clunky UI and slow loading times, it's not very good, IMO (at least on my Athlon XP). I likes my Winamp 3, WMP 9, and Quicktime 6 Pro the way they are.

Janak Parekh
01-31-2003, 05:17 PM
Note he said "if you're not careful". It's possible, but Real tries to bury the settings.

The worst was one version of RealOne which required you to uncheck about 15 boxes manually, one for each filetype. Great way to keep customers, Real. :roll:

--janak

ppcsurfr
02-01-2003, 09:08 AM

Wow! you went through all that trouble! 8O

Of course if you had put there "I couldn't think of any avatars so I just sent in a broken link"... It wouldn't attract as much attention/

pocketpcdude1024
02-01-2003, 12:36 PM

Wow! you went through all that trouble! 8O

Of course if you had put there "I couldn't think of any avatars so I just sent in a broken link"... It wouldn't attract as much attention/

It wasn't really all that trouble, and it only took me about 5 minutes! If I had sent in a "true" broken link, it would have given me the error of "This URL containes no data" :? Anyway, I like my avatar; I think its unique andbelieve it or not, you're NOT the first person to comment on it! :D (You're the 3rd)