View Full Version : Can't get wireless lan to work with Jornada 540

deep_law
01-30-2003, 11:23 PM
Hi there :) I have a Jornada 540 and just added on a Netgear 2.4GHz Wireless CompactFlash Card to use while I am at school. My university provides a wireless network for students while on campus......I have installed tha wireless card, and it automatically detects all the IP info and says the network signal is strong. It "pings" the network successfully. But Internet Explorer and Outlook can't find a connection!!! They want me to do a dial-up modem connection. Please help, don't know how to fix this :(

Steven Cedrone
01-31-2003, 12:09 AM
Do you need to set up a proxy? Can you compare settings with anyone else at school?

Steve

Sven Johannsen
01-31-2003, 04:19 AM
it automatically detects all the IP info and says the network signal is strong. It "pings" the network successfully. But Internet Explorer and Outlook can't find a connection!!! :(

What do you mean "all the IP info?" What you are describing are classic DNS and gateway problems. When you Ping you are doing it by IP ( I would presume) and do not require DNS services. If you are pinging within your network you don't need a gateway address. Pinging will tell you your IP stack is installed and the destination is reachable, and for wireless, will tell you the WEP is correct (if turned on).

Get something like vxUtil or vxIpconfig (www.cam.com, free) and make sure both the DNS server address exists and is correct and the Gateway address exists and is correct. Gateway is typically X.X.X.1 where the first three numbers are the same as your assigned IP (typical, not always)

And proxy certainly could be an issue, but your Net folks would have to tell you that, as well as the DNS and Gateway #s

deep_law
02-04-2003, 01:19 AM
Hmmmmm...ok, so I can take it to the network folks and make sure the DNS/gateway info is correct. I did talk to them earlier and they said I needed to go to HP/Jornada's website and download VPN drivers onto the pocket PC while in ActiveSync. And then to take it back to them. I have been all over the HP website tho and can't find drivers to download for this...................

markcrump
02-05-2003, 05:25 AM
If memory serves me correct, there isn't a VPN client for the 540. It's posisble they are thinking Jornada 560, which can use PPC2002's VPN client.

Stik
02-05-2003, 04:52 PM
deep_law.

Not sure if this is what your searching for or need, but, Certicom has developed the Movian VPN client software that has been tested w/ the Jornada 540 ...
http://www.certicom.com/products/movian/movianvpn_gen_FAQ.html

markcrump
02-06-2003, 01:48 AM
I don't see his NIC on the compatable products list. It looks like all the wireless stuff is PC Card.

Stik
02-06-2003, 03:02 PM
Thats a very good point Mark. It makes me wonder what cards were used to test the Windows CE devices listed?

That aside, ( its been a long long time since my own schooling days! ) I was under the impression that a campus VPN was used by teachers and students to access school information ( library journals for instance) while on campus but out of the buildings using a wireless laptop or off campus using ones own home PC.

It surprised me w/ deep_laws earlier comment that his schools admin told him to go to HP for the VPN software to be used. I was also under the impression that schools that do have VPN systems in place have their own VPN webpage where the schools VPN software could be downloaded after the admin supplied the user ( whether teacher or student ) with the password to access the download information.

Like I said, its been a long time since school for me so I may be wrong. :wink:

markcrump
02-06-2003, 04:10 PM
At least the Orinoco card has CE drivers. I don't know about the rest. You're right, most campus' are set up that way. I can see them needing to get on a VPN to get out if they don't want people freeloading on their bandwidth.