View Full Version : MSN Messenger/Connection Manager - HELP

clarkth
01-30-2003, 04:59 PM
I have a couple of problems that seem to be related, but I can't understand any of them. I have an iPaq 3835 with a Socket 56K CF modem, and I have my connection manager setup to dial into my ISP. No problems there as I can connect, use PIE, send/receive e-mail, etc. However, when I try and use the MSN Messenger Service, I sign in with my hotmail account and I get either the 'Trouble Connecting - Unable to connect to the proxy server. Check your proxy server settings' or 'Trouble Connecting - Unable to connect with current settings. To change your connection setting, tap Settings', which of course goes to the Connection Manager. One interesting thing here is that the setting for 'My network card connects to:' always flips to Work, even if I've changed it to 'The Internet'. Any thoughts? :x

Cortex
01-31-2003, 08:14 PM
i have had problems getting msn messenger to work when my connection to the internet uses a proxy -- but it just stalls with the beach ball wait icon showing (there is no error message).

are you using a proxy server?

just as a test -- it turns out that yahoo messenger ce will work if your internet connection uses a proxy (i could never get it to work without assigning a proxy). you might try seeing if you can get yahoo messenger to work just to prove its a problem with msn messenger.

clarkth
01-31-2003, 11:09 PM
OK, sounds like the same issue, but I'm not sure if I'm using a proxy server. I'm dialing in with a CF modem, and the internet settings for the location I'm using do not have the proxy server checkbox checked, so I'm assuming no.

I know I'm not the only one who doesn't understand Connection Manager, but I've resorted to a trial and error method to connect but nothing seems to work for MSN Messenger.

Cortex
02-01-2003, 03:22 AM
it doesnt sound like your problem is related to using a proxy server.
sorry

Cortex
02-01-2003, 03:26 AM
another thing you can try is connect your home computer to the internet (dialup or whatever) then place your device in the cradle and run msn on your pocket pc. you should be able to connect through the cradle and if so, then its a dialup setting related to your cf modem. if not, then something else is wrong.