View Full Version : 5450

waanz
01-30-2003, 08:26 AM
Being an early adopter and heavy user of PDA, but mostly bein a complete geek and pathetico-gadgeto-maniac, I recently sold my 3970 and acquired on the exact same day a 5450.

I am globally happy with the device but have a few questions to those of you who may have been playng around with it:

1. the SIM card slot behind the battery. Is it just part of the casing but not hooked to anything inside or will it ever be (by some firmware/os update) usable. (I know some 56xx series are coming soon with GSM features but I need to know why did they leave the SIM card redaer on the 54xx.

2. When fully charged, BT on and WIFI off, the battery pack indicates hardly 3 hours left (at the time I write, 83% battery, 2h12 left). I know the system settings (under standby) shows about 6hrs. Any info from you guys.

3. There are 3 LED on the left side. What is the bottom one for?

4. I find the directional PAD not very sensitive for up/down scrolling (under IE or contact list for example), do you share my opinion?

5. I haven't been able to use the side plus/minus buttons for scrolling, is it something that can be done? And when using them for volume, there are no direct link to the volume indicator (from either the title bar, or the the windows media player for example).

6. I use the fingerprint authentication and pretyt much like it (for both the cool idea of picturing me in a late 80s sci-fi movie as well as for the convenience of it). Can you enroll more than one finger (two hands of course but two users for example)?

7. Finally, regarding the fingerprint again, I have notice (by testing the security and by asking a few friends to try it) that after a certain number of rejected attempts, a dialog box offers you to either continue trying or to perform a full reset of the machine, indicating that all data will be lost. Does that mean that anybody without a password can actually perform a few unsuccessful authentication attempts and then hard reset my ipaq? That is crazy? especially for a supposedly secured device. I know you'll tell me that anybody can in any case perform the required butons's press to perform the normal hardreset but it is scary to know that someone playing with your device will be prompted to reset.

jsanfordii
01-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Hi! I just got rid of my T-mobile PPC phone edition (that was the neatest idea, but not ready for prime time), and got the 5455 also. Soo, I don't know the answers to all of your questions, but here goes:

I've not heard about the 56xx series, but I have read that this isn't really enabled, just there for a manufacturing upgrade (with what you're saying, that would make sense)

I had a dead battery on arrival. I called HP to get a replacement (which was actually a pretty decent experience), and the fedexd me a new one. I got impatient though and took the dead battery back to Comp USA, and they gave me a good one. I'll start testing the battery times as well. I have heard that if you leave the Wi-Fi on, battery times drop considerably.

The 3 LED's are for : (top down) Wireless Lan indicator (green flash = wireless link, amber flash = no wireless link), BlueTooth Indicator (Flashes 'blue' when Bluetooth on), and Light Sensor (Automatically adjusts backlight when selected).

I haven't played much with the PAD or the volume controls. I'm not sure I know how to play mp3's on here, but I'd like to.

I can't get the fingerprint thingy to work well. It seems to work when I train my thumb as my index finger, but no other finger seems to be 'trainable'. I spent a good hour last night while my wife watched 'Bachlorette', trying to train this thing, and finally gave up. You're correct about the unsuccessful attempts, but you can set the number of times _before_ this happens. I read in the manual that the reset was automatic, but it sounds like to me that you've found that it asks first...

Have you gotten the Remote Control feature to work? It didn't recognize any of my home theater stuff (nothing too fancy)...

Also, the HP site has _NOTHING_ on this thing.

I also upgraded to ActiveSync 3.6

james

Pony99CA
01-30-2003, 03:13 PM
Others have answered most of your questions, so I'll just add a couple of new things.

1. the SIM card slot behind the battery. Is it just part of the casing but not hooked to anything inside or will it ever be (by some firmware/os update) usable. (I know some 56xx series are coming soon with GSM features but I need to know why did they leave the SIM card redaer on the 54xx.

I doubt you need to know it ;-) but I suspect the reason the SIM slot is there is to save on manufacturing costs. Why produce two separate cases, one with the SIM slot and one without it?

4. I find the directional PAD not very sensitive for up/down scrolling (under IE or contact list for example), do you share my opinion?

HP has issued an advisory about the d-pad on their Web site. See the "Customer advisory for the joypad of the iPAQ 5400 series" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7530) for details.

5. I haven't been able to use the side plus/minus buttons for scrolling, is it something that can be done?

No, it's just supposed to be a volume control. Some people may be working on a solution to allow it (I've even outlined how it could work), but I haven't heard of one being available yet.

Steve